Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little things that make you smile - the anti-peeve thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Little things that make you smile - the anti-peeve thread.

Originally posted by Feba View Post
    Well Raydeus, if you're having a problem with kanji heavy texts, here's my advice: read fucking more of them and get used to it. "Kanji heavy text" is also known as "Japanese"

also I've been studying Chinese for nearly a year and a half now. If you're having kanji problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a stroke ain't one.

But seriously, if you want to get used to reading Chinese characters, writing them more is great practice. And I mean, by hand, every fucking stroke (at least, until you start to pick up abbreviations that are actually in use). It's the best way to get your brain to sort through the minute differences between each and every little fucker, and to get your mind thinking in terms of radicals instead of individual strokes. If you don't mind the extra language, learning Chinese is great practice for this, since every fucking sentence is nothing but Chinese characters.
    My problem right now is memorizing the kun and on sounds for each kanji so I can recognize words I still don't know the kanji for without having to memorize them one by one, and way more vocabulary. So when I see a bunch of kanji together I can get lost unless I know the words before hand. But at least radicals are no longer much of a problem for me.
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I think memorizing individual sounds is really a terrible way to go. Japanese characters change their sound way too much for that to really be reliable. Besides, as you start to read more, you'll naturally start to figure out which sounds you generally want to use. One thing I'd recommend is to keep a notebook with vocabulary, where you write the kanji in black ink, with the element that gives the sound in red (and maybe meaning in blue, if you want, although meaning is generally pretty obvious)

For example, for 語、 you would write 言五口 to emphasize the ご。This won't work for everything, but it'll give you a little bit of a guide. But again, long term, you need to just get a shit ton of kanji up in your head, and it'll become automatic eventually.

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	26762.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1475133
          Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

So that's what happened to next door's cat.
            Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
            Reiko Takahashi
            - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
            Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

On pony post and never again, only because it fits the thread:

Probably been posted elswhere, but I liked it.

Comment

It begins.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Name:	5260.jpg
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	1475134
                  Heavensward Stats - Main Story: Cleared | Alexander Normal: 4/4 | Alexander: Savage 0/4 | Relic: Last Resort (Scholar) | Mahatma: 2/12

Comment

Scar had a cub? Was that from one of the direct to DVD movies?

Comment

Yeah it was in one of the newer versions.

Comment

Let's play spot the typo:

Reiko Takahashi
                        Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

That's impressive, he actually got everyone on the planet and some Aliens from outer space to like him.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

8 billion likes. With a world population of 7 billion, that's a hell of an outsourcing job.
                            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I thought I'd show some cakes I have made, As you can see I'm no great baker, I just like to bake.
                              How can I shrink these to a more suitable size for the forum?

Name:	417349_10151241563496255_275005438_n.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1475137Click image for larger version

Name:	603850_10151252278626255_1649824401_n.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1475138

Name:	644135_10151245557176255_543026117_n.jpg
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1475135Click image for larger version

Name:	308155_10151252278136255_1504692122_n.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1475136

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Are those chocolate fingers for the cupcake wrapper?

Why didn't I think of that the last time I baked a cake? XD
                                Reiko Takahashi
                                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Working...
                                X