Weiner Resigns - (my) Rant against the media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weiner Resigns - (my) Rant against the media

So, Anthony Weiner has filed his resigned from Congress.

Yet another competent public servant ousted over a stupid personal mistake that got overblown by an irresponsible, childish Media.

I'm not defending what he did, rather just the opposite - I saw Bill Maher read the tweets verbatim on his show last week and it was absolutely disgusting - but it was his problem. Did what he did affect the daily lives of his fellow congressmen or his constituents? Did it have any impact on the lives other than those directly involved? No.

It was an isolated incident, and a very stupid thing to do on his part, but it didn't affect his job in the least. And while I won't argue that lying about it was wrong as well, he didn't break any laws, nor did he lie about any sort of crime here. It'd be another thing entirely if he'd gotten the Capitol Hill police involved or w/e.

His own constituents didn't want him to go - he had over 50% support from them in the latest polls, and was heavily favored to be the next Mayor of NYC. All that's up in smoke now, because the tabloid media simply could not pass this up and let it go. And so yet another Democrat who actually has some balls & conviction to fight for every day middle class people has been forced out due to the media's insatiable appetite for even the most frivilous scandals.

This kind of irresponsible "journalism" makes me sick. There's no discretion anymore in the media, they simply just put everything out there for better or worse irregardless of the consequences. What should have been a private matter that had no bearing on the daily lives of Americans ended up turning into a maelstrom that ultimately resulted in the resignation of one of the few good Democrats out there.

And it's all part of a disturbing pattern/tendency. Every time there's some kind of attention-grabbing event, it's all you hear about for days on end. Never mind all the other shit that's going on in the world, we have to focus on one thing at a time.

Never mind that Japan is still reeling from the Tsunami, Americans are losing their homes, and all the other horrors going on in the world. When was the last time we heard about the atrocities going in Columbia & Darfur? Why is there action against Libya but not Syria? The list of bullshit just goes on...

OK, I could go on for hours on this but I wanna play more InFamous 2 right now.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Weiner Resigns - (my) Rant against the media

Big wall of text is big.

One problem about the media: once you're thrusted into the media, you're always going to be in the media.

Blame society (yes, I know. That can be nothing more than a scapegoat). It's amazing how many people lust for this type of media.

Wait, there are good Democrats?
    Last edited by Samson; 06-17-2011, 05:09 AM.
    Valefor - MyLittleChocobo (Click for info!) LS Member - Ahulane
    DRK70 - PLD32 - RDM30 - WAR30
    RIP SayWhatNow, DreamsInVanadiel

Comment

This is news to me. Weiner resigned? That's fucking outrageous. Now he's gonna get replaced by some spineless dem who's going to get bought out by the corporations to bend over and do everything they want to them to do in order to make themselves richer and the middle class non-existent.

Welcome to America.

I want to move to New Zealand >_>

Comment

I was tired of this shit back in elementary school when it was Monica Lewinsky 24/7. Nothing has changed and that's depressing.
        Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
        Name: Drjones
        Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

And I'm thinking very seriously (for the 100th time) about moving to Canada next year.

Being Canadese sounds like fun.

And what does that have to do with the OP? How should I know?
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowIX View Post
            This is news to me. Weiner resigned? That's fucking outrageous. Now he's gonna get replaced by some spineless dem who's going to get bought out by the corporations to bend over and do everything they want to them to do in order to make themselves richer and the middle class non-existent.
            Yeah pretty much what I hoped wasn't going to happen but likely will now. There aren't enough progressives in the U.S. with the balls to stand up for their beliefs.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
            And I'm thinking very seriously (for the 100th time) about moving to Canada next year.
            Just stay away from Vancouver

Seriously what the fuck - _ -'
            sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

I think the main problem I have with Weiner is that part of being competent at your job means not doing something boneheaded to sabotage your ability to perform it. Weiner's stupid tweet falls under the heading of monumentally boneheaded. He should have known better, and now he (and the constituents who were depending on him to do a good job for them when they voted him into office) are now paying the price for his stupidity.

I see nothing specifically wrong with what's happening here.

Moral of the story: I don't want someone this stupid representing my interests, do you?

Icemage

Comment

Weiner is one of the few politicians that isn't completely bought out. Why do you think not a damn soul was on his side, but when a repub has an even worse scandal (prostitution and such) all the politicians are quick to throw out the forgiveness card.

All I'm saying is JFK and FDR both had multiple mistresses, but did that stop them from being some of America's best presidents? I don't think so.

One of the few genuine politicians left ousted out by corrupt bastards. American politics is completely corrupt.

Comment

Weiner is one of the few politicians that isn't completely bought out.
                  ...which is commendable, I'm sure. But anyone who is that passionate about being incorruptible should immediately know better than to toss their career off the side of a thousand-foot cliff the way Weiner has done. Good intentions are great, but results matter more in my book.

Icemage

Comment

Personal life and the troubles therein do not actually prevent a politician from getting results. It's only when the media hounds someone over something that really ought to be settled in private that personal life gets in the way. Would you really throw someone out of office after they'd negotiated world peace, eliminated the need for crime and cured cancer just because they sometimes kick their puppy in the privacy of their own home when under excessive amounts of stress?

Hyperbole? Certainly, but I think it illustrates my point.
                    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                    Name: Drjones
                    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Weiner is one of the few politicians that isn't completely bought out. Why do you think not a damn soul was on his side, but when a repub has an even worse scandal (prostitution and such) all the politicians are quick to throw out the forgiveness card.

All I'm saying is JFK and FDR both had multiple mistresses, but did that stop them from being some of America's best presidents? I don't think so.

One of the few genuine politicians left ousted out by corrupt bastards. American politics is completely corrupt.
                      If he cheats on his wife, who else is he cheating on? Not the people, not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                        Personal life and the troubles therein do not actually prevent a politician from getting results.
                        John Edwards. Look him up. He makes Bill Clinton look like a class act.

Edwards ran for president twice, used campaign funds to help his mistress travel and keep her secret from his wife who on her deathbed with cancer. Classy guy, all around. Democrats in my state supported him for years.

Personal life prevented him from getting results. He was trying to get elected to political office, but used the money donated to him for that purpose to cover him his affair from his dying wife. Oh, did I mention he had a child by the mistress? I always love that part of this sort of thing because now he can't really back out at all.

But he's really, really sorry for what he's done. That should count for something, right?

Even if we just trim it down to his personal affairs, he's still a creep, using the donations of fellow democrats just makes him an epic creep. But in the eyes of some people, he's still the most honest politician ever.

Those people are brain-damaged, by the way.

Bottom line, if you can't keep your vow to your wife - something our culture seems to hold high importance to, as that vow is one of the most important you make in your life - why the hell should I trust you. I don't care if you're sharing pictures of your penis on the internet with random women or in the sack with another, when you're elected to an office you're on the people's time all the time.

And last I checked, the state Wiener represents is far from being in tip-top shape. If you can find time to share pictures of your dick or sexting on your smartphone, surely you can spare some time for your fellow man and see about getting things done for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                          Just stay away from Vancouver

Seriously what the fuck - _ -'
                          What's wrong with Vancouver? o_O

Though I'd probably end up in Quebec (at least at first.) Have a few contacts over there and would get job relatively easy. I was studying French for that not so long ago.
                          sigpic
                          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
                          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                            What's wrong with Vancouver? o_O
                            Scenes from the Vancouver fan riots - Video - SI.com

Yeah, let's tear up our city and burn people's cars because our sports team only made it to the last game of the championship this year.

THAT's what's wrong with Vancouver.

Icemage

Comment

I think it's unfortunate, funny, and, predictable. If Americans don't get a political 'tabloid' scandal every six months we might actually realize how much we are getting boned by our corporate-run aristocracy. It's absolutely astonishing to see what people choose from the mix to get fired up about. Meanwhile things that actually do directly affect them adversely smoothly sail under the radar cuz there's a picture of a cock waved in front of their face.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              John Edwards. Look him up. He makes Bill Clinton look like a class act.
                              And Newt Gingrich (a presidential hopeful currently) makes them each look like boyscouts as well. There are just as many fucksquats on one side as the other.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              Anyone who trusts a politician is brain-damaged, by the way.
                              FTFY
                              FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
                              FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
                              aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X