Draw to Amsterdam going away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draw to Amsterdam going away

High times in Amsterdam? Not so fast - Travel - Destination Travel - Europe - msnbc.com

Well... pretty much says it all. Easy to predict a HUGE amount of their tourism dollars will be gone because of this. I mean, besides hookers, what else will draw tourism dollars to Amsterdam... Ann Frank's hide-out ???

Even though I'm on a sobriety kick these days ... I've always wanted to check out the scene.
    FFxiv ~ (PS3 Beta) 24THM, 16LNC, 16CNJ, 15MRD/GLD/ARC/PUG
    FFxi ~ (Inactive) 99DNC/THF/SAM/BLU

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m
    aybe, read it again, insert smiley faces, rainbows, and glitter as needed.

Re: Draw to Amsterdam going away

Clearly the Netherlands has nothing else to offer. No art. No architecture. Just pot and Anne Frank.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
      Clearly the Netherlands has nothing else to offer. No art. No architecture. Just pot and Anne Frank.
      He also said prostitutes! Some of whom are male, maybe!
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

I'm sorry but this is a god awful idea. <Hello!> increase in crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
          Lol... BLU has really got you down, dude.

Yes, you have a point. The Netherlands has architecture. It may draw a few people.

netherlands architecture - Google Search

Not me though, at all. Those buildings look like they are from ... well... around here where I live. I want distinct architecture, I'll visit Paris, London, Asian countries... Russia even. Not the Netherlands.

I generalize but the fact still remains a goodly amount of their tourist revenue was up in smoke and with this law they won't even have that.

Any opinions expressed are my own, and potentially unpopular with others. Should this be upsetting, m

Comment

Rembrandt? Vermeer? Van Gogh? Bosch? Mondrian? That's just art. I could go on.

I'm just saying, this will, at best, cut out some of the younger crowd. Plenty of people have reasons to visit Amsterdam.

Comment

Very true. Those are great artists, indeed. And I've seen many of their works. Saw a lot of Rembrandt in Paris and for some reason Florence. Van Gogh just made a nice long pit stop in Seattle. I see your point though. I conceed that it's true there are other reasons for people to go to Amsterdam. My tite is misleading cuz there is more that would draw one to Amsterdam.... but I don't know how to make the change, lol. I don't start topics enough.

Still... so much tourism revenue... gone. Funniest part is that the ones pushing the bill (or w/e it's called there) think prohibition reduces crime. That seems to be one history lesson governments never learn to accept.
              Last edited by Neverslip; 05-27-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowIX View Post
                I'm sorry but this is a god awful idea. <Hello!> increase in crime.
                I disagree, but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

I was there just before christmas it funny because in any of the coffee shops you'd never see dutch people smoking the weed it was only selling to the tourists.
                  Reminded me of when I was young, Drinking when I was underage was fun. Once I turned 18 and could legally buy/drink I could take it or leave it. It's like the novelty has worn off. I can see the tourism industry taking a dive.

The hookers even though I'm gay were supprisingly attractive. I was expecting hags with teeth missing, Hairy armpits and strange looking but that wasnt the case. The sex shows werent that good either. I'd rather be out there getting laid myself besides If I wanted to watch people bang I'd have gone to my hotel room to fap with my laptop.
                  I normally like museums and castles but the effort really isnt put in even they know that this isnt the reason tourists are here.
                  The non stop "sex" museums. I've owned more dildo's and vibrators than many of these places had. every 5th doorway was a "sex museum" and more focused to school playground titilation.

As a "non legal" weed smoker in the uk. I didn't really enjoy the coffee shop experience at all. I prefer the comfort of my own front room with a proper sized coffee. You'd think for a nation of weed folk they understand dry mouth.
                  Allthough dry mouth + small drinks = buy more drinks so I guess it's clever business lol

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Murphie, you missed out bikes, lots and lots of bikes.

To be honest, once you've done the art gallery circuit and got off your tits in the coffee shops a few times, Amsterdam is a pretty unremarkable place. The ban does seem like a bad idea considering the amount of tourism it creates and it's not like stoned tourists are going to cause riots in the streets (as long as someone doesn't steal their last Mars bar). If anything, it'll just create more of a black market in drugs and lead to the streets being full of even more shady immigrants trying to sell tourists grass in addition to the, "Charlie mister?" offers they've always been making.

Comment

I'm not really sure why the politicos care one way or another; if anything the extra tourism and tax dollars will do more for the city and country, and on the grand scheme of things, it's likely that cannabis is less hazardous overall than tobacco.

@ Satori
                      Way more than I personally needed to know, but interesting observations nonetheless.

Icemage

Comment

I'd totally forgot about the street drug dealers.
                        Oddly in a place with a relaxed attitude towards soft drugs. You can't even walk down the high street or into a maccy D's without the sound of "Psssst X?, X? ,X? , Coke?"
                        That's relentless as it is happening almost every few steps, Surely this will now be increased. It reminded me of when I went to Turkey and the shopping areas there are scary. They'd almost abduct you from the street into a shop, Or follow you round whilst you browse. I had to shout for for help in once shop while I was threatening a shopkeeper with an ashtray. Because he wanted me to buy his stuff and wouldnt let me leave.

I really should stop travelling to the ass hole of the earth for holidays.

Sorry Icemage, I was just trying to point out that apart from the weed Amsterdam is pretty bland and they are going to shoot themselves in the foot with this,

Allthough this isnt the first time this story has been covered in the media. IT happens every so often a bit like those "Msn / Facebook is shutting down email/post this of you get deactivated"

Still it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm glad I went for the experience that I had I did enjoy myself. Aside from friends stag parties I couldn't imagine going there again for any reason.

Oh and the airport is funny we landed and it takes about 30 mins from landing to actually reach the airport. The plane follows the canal to it and you end up alongside the motorway/freeway. It's hilarious passing cars in a plane I found it quite amusing all be it a little odd. I filmed it with my camera . If I find it I'll pop it on youtube so you can see lol.

Signature created by my good friend Naughtymistress, Remora server.

Comment

Oh don't take my comment the wrong way, I wasn't offended in the slightest. :p No apologies necessary. I was just surprised to see such an inside viewpoint posted openly.

Icemage

Comment

I guess I just don't get it. There are plenty of cities all over the world that don't have weed legally for sale and yet they manage to survive toursim-wise. Will they take a hit? Probably. But it's not as though people ONLY go to Amsterdam for pot.

Comment

You make pot illegal and suddenly it becomes cool to do it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X