Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer issues! PXE , Kernel , shadowing , etc!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer issues! PXE , Kernel , shadowing , etc!!

oh someone is having problems with their computer and they said when they turn it on, it gave them a blue screen that did a data dump. something about Kernel Data Page error.

and then their computer keeps booting with shadowing something. Something about PXE 2.0 E61 media test, but that doesn't work, (when they connect cord, it tries to load some Mac address but that doesn't help.

And strangely they check the F2 menu and the system mem is at 640 kb and extended is 222mb (I think it should be more than that.)

They have no option to remove caching/shadowing (as suggested by the blue screen before the dump finished.) and F8 does nothing.

so yeah, maybe they should of forced the system off when it was doing physical memory dump because that might of messed things up.

but ya are these symptoms familiar to anyone, mew? their F2 menus really don't have much to configure, just turning off boot drives basically. and setting the F2 settings setup to default, doesn't help boot to Windows and stuff.

Re: Computer issues! PXE , Kernel , shadowing , etc!!

I'd ask that you go back and get me specifics, because right now you're babbling vaguely.

If the machine is displaying error messages regarding the kernel before it can boot the operating system, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the operating system has become corrupt and your next step is to get your hands on linux live cd and attempt to back up any documents you can find before reformatting and reinstalling the operating system. That's just a shot in the dark though, because you haven't really given me a concrete description of the problem.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I have no idea what all that is, but it sounds like the plot of a sci-fi game.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

well um actually they don't know where the disks for the computer are, so like they can't install it I guess, mew.

Comment

It's gonna be pretty tough to give them any advice like that.

So get some headache pills, you may need them.
          sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

J9~

SO, let me get this straight, they turned on their computer and as it leaves the BIOS and tries to boot up the OS, it fails there ... OR ...
            As they power on their computer, they encounter issues DURING the BIOS loading?

The former, cidbahamut covered in his post. The latter means that there is corruption within the BIOS and/or failures with certain I/O devices and/or on-board devices (i.e., on-board media controllers, on-board sound, etc.) You can attempt to overwrite your BIOS with one downloaded off the net and hope that will fix it or you may just have a dead motherboard on your hand. It's not easy to fix specific parts on your motherboard but possible to deactivate them through the BIOS (But again, you said F2 doesn't get you into BIOS so that would indicate a corruption of the BIOS and/or hardware failure preventing you from accessing the BIOS)

Comment

ya they can get into the F2 BIOS but there is only 4 things they can shut down, and I don't think they want to turn off the Hard drive, the other 3 things are the CD/DVD drive, network something, and something else. other than that there is nothing to alter other than calendar and other stuff that aren't related.

it's issues during the BIOS loading.

Comment

You are a veritable fountain of non-information J9.

Go get a linux live CD(Ubuntu is a decent distribution for this).
                Go into the BIOS and make sure the boot order has "boot from CD" set as the first boot device.
                Shut down PC.
                Insert linux cd.
                boot pc and tell us what happens.

Comment

If it's really that bad they can just re-flash the bios, unless it's one of those "brand" PCs with "customized" (read messed up) BIOS, then it will require quite some tweaking if the motherboard is actually salvageable.
                  sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
                    You are a veritable fountain of non-information J9.

Go get a linux live CD(Ubuntu is a decent distribution for this).
                    Go into the BIOS and make sure the boot order has "boot from CD" set as the first boot device.
                    Shut down PC.
                    Insert linux cd.
                    boot pc and tell us what happens.

thanks but they don't have a CD to make a linux CD with. So Ubuntu is a website that makes free linux live CDs?

Comment

Ubuntu is a Linux distro. If they don't have CDs they can use a USB flash drive instead.

Comment

oh I ask if they have flash drive. But I dunno if one of those 4 boot options is USB related. maybe it's the Network one?

Comment

It's not the network one.

Comment

I get the feeling we're gonna end up doing more harm than good trying to troubleshoot this one guys. Maybe she should just take the machine to her local person who knows computers.

Comment

Ubuntu? I'm going to learn...Ubuntu?
                              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X