400KBPS Download?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400KBPS Download?

I've been hearing people getting up to 1,000 KBPS while downloading off of steam, but I max out at 400.

I've been searching for solutions to fix this, and its maxed at 400 KBPS. I close all applications that use internet, and have changed bandwidth settings on my laptop. Wireless connection, about 5 feet away from the router. Windows 7, and I have Cox highspeed internet. Shouldn't I be getting more? If you know how to increase the speed, any help would be nice.

Re: 400KBPS Download?

That depends. What does your download speed look like on an internet bandwidth speed test?

CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
      That depends. What does your download speed look like on an internet bandwidth speed test?

CNET Bandwidth Meter: Online Speed Test - CNET Reviews

Icemage
      My results are 2514 o.o I should be getting more, shouldn't I?

Now I have 3,100
      Side by side
      Last edited by Takelli; 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Not necessarily. Remember, some of that speed is used for error checking and overhead. So unless you like getting huge files and then have them not work because one byte got corrupted during transmission, you're never going to get anywhere near your theoretical maximum bandwidth.

My cable connection tests at 9500kbps, but it's rare that I'll see even a small fraction of that in terms of download speed from any site.

Icemage

Comment

They should at least say that your connection speed will be high, but your download speed would be around X amount when they advertise. Because I usually surf the web, and play games on my computer/PS3.

Thanks though.

Comment

The issue with download speed variability lies with cable. That's because of the kind of connection it is. Cable is pretty much a really fat pipe with data caps on everyone using it. The problem is, it splits evenly across the board and the speed you get drops the more people get on it. Theoretical is high on cable but actual tends to be a lot lower.

With my DSL, I not only get 7mbps download, I get it in actual when a connection can push it to that speed. So, I have no problems via Battle.net, Steam or torrents when they are capable of transmitting that to me.

Comment

Working...
            X