Steve Jobs is dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Jobs is dead.

My Twitter feed is being flooded with the news right now.

Apple

I never really liked the guy. Always perceived him as something of a jerk. Nonetheless, it's still somewhat depressing that the world has lost at least one genius today.
    Originally posted by Armando
    No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
    Originally posted by Armando
    Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
    Originally posted by Taskmage
    However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
    Matthew 16:15

Re: Steve Jobs is dead.

I may hate Apple, but Jobs has always had my respect. The world's a little less bright today.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Icemage

Comment

And I'm still wondering if Breen got canned after the whole City 17 debacle.
      sigpic
      "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
      Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Not mine.

That's what you get when you demand that the company pay you 1/6th of the company's total networth every year just to keep you onboard. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead (i.e. I don't think he "had it coming" or what have you), and it's a shame that talented guy like him is gone - but I still think he was an asshole.

I guess now we'll see what the company's really made of, and whether or not that $660,000,000 annual salary (from a company that only employs 40k people...) was justified.
        sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
          And I'm still wondering if Breen got canned after the whole City 17 debacle.
          Hu- Wh .. How is this related?
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Stay classy, folks.

Comment

Click
              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I think you should just stop posting.

Comment

Ray's ability to ruin things knows no limits, Murph. He even feels the need to ruin the death of a former Apple CEO. Why? No clue. It's just the way he is. He's the ruiner.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                  99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                  99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Originally posted by Raydeus View Post
                      This reaction confuses me.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
                      99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
                      99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                        Not mine.

That's what you get when you demand that the company pay you 1/6th of the company's total networth every year just to keep you onboard. I don't mean to speak ill of the dead (i.e. I don't think he "had it coming" or what have you), and it's a shame that talented guy like him is gone - but I still think he was an asshole.

I guess now we'll see what the company's really made of, and whether or not that $660,000,000 annual salary (from a company that only employs 40k people...) was justified.
                        What in the hell are you talking about, Mal?

Steve Jobs has pulled in an annual salary of $1 every single year from Apple since 1998.

ONE DOLLAR

Not 660,000,000 or some such tomfoolery.

This is well documented, and you can find evidence of it everywhere in Apple's financial reports. Granted, he owned millions of shares of Apple, which means he's still got tons of income, but his actual salary isn't even enough to buy you any item at McDonalds after sales tax.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                          Not 660,000,000 or some such tomfoolery.
                          That's not what I heard.

EDIT: Ah, that's where that figure came from. That's how much he owned in Apple Stocks. I was under the impression (from numerous sources) that he was getting paid that much, because after he left apple they tanked - and as part of getting him back, they had to pay him an insane amount of money.

Proof you can't believe everything you read, even from trusted sources.

Like I said, I don't really bear any ill will towards the man and I do sincerely hope he's at rest - he just really came off as a pretentious guy though.
                          Last edited by Malacite; 10-05-2011, 07:13 PM.
                          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

sounds to me like Apple was doing some shady stuff then, there is no way you can have an annual salary of $1 or less.....
                            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

sounds to me like Apple was doing some shady stuff then, there is no way you can have an annual salary of $1 or less.....
                              Nope. The creators of Google do the same thing. I was told it's to avoid paying taxes, since they're pretty much going to be rich from the stock they own alone. Wikipedia seems to support this.
                              Originally posted by Wikipedia
                              Google's stock performance following its initial public offering has enabled many early employees to be competitively compensated.[189] After the company's IPO, founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page and CEO Eric Schmidt requested that their base salary be cut to $1. Subsequent offers by the company to increase their salaries have been turned down, primarily because their main compensation continues to come from owning stock in Google. Before 2004, Schmidt was making $250,000 per year, and Page and Brin each earned a salary of $150,000.[190]
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google#Employees

I dislike Apple as a company but Steve Jobs was a smart guy, I gotta give him that. R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X