Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've successfully built my first computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've successfully built my first computer!

I did it! I built my first computer and everything works! No longer will I be chained to the prefabricated factory-built computers Packard Hell and all those other crappy computers companies like that manufacture!

Just one tiny problem though...

My new computer has 8 GB of RAM, and hence, Vista 64-bit...

I just found out that the wireless network adapter I use doesn't have 64-bit drivers...

So anyone know of a Vista 64-Bit Wireless Network Adapter? Right now I have a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter, but Linksys doesn't make 64-bit drivers. Preferable another USB adapter, I prefer to simply plug it in and use it rather then having to install it in the computer. Downloadable drivers are okay as well, since I can DL it on another computer and just transfer the drivers over on a flash drive.
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: I've successfully built my first computer!

I'll go check tomorrow at work, assuming I'm not off sick.

Comment

Well {Congratulations!}!! There is nothing more awesome than building one, booting it up, and it purrs like a champ! Doesn't it feel good to know you can maintain your own system now without handing it over to someone and not seeing it for a couple of weeks.......or paying an assload of money to fix!? Seriously....great job Neo!
      Originally posted by Feba
      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
      Originally posted by DakAttack
      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Grats now all you need is a picture of the bad boy or girl.

Nin75, Bst75. Drk61, War61, Rdm40, All other jobs are 37. All 3 starting city missions completed. All Zilart missions completed. All CoP missions completed. TouA completed.

Comment

When I first built my PC I accidentally hooked up the power and reset buttons the wrong way around. We had hours of fun trying to figure that one out. Then I nudged the reset button and nearly cried. X_X
          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
          Reiko Takahashi
          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
            When I first built my PC I accidentally hooked up the power and reset buttons the wrong way around. We had hours of fun trying to figure that one out. Then I nudged the reset button and nearly cried. X_X
            LOL Awww thats a cute story! At least now, if someone you know has this issue, you can lend a helping hand and chuckle about it.
            Originally posted by Feba
            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
            Originally posted by DakAttack
            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Indeed, congratulations. I presume x86_64 Linux and WINE won't meet your needs, though, so I can't much help on the other issue, as I'm trying to steer well clear of Vista.
              Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
              DRK99,DNC91,THF90
              Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
              Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
              WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
              Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
              All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
              Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
              Clothcraft 24
              Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
              BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Alright, well I found an unofficial third-party driver for my current adapter that works with the 64-bit version of Vista(God damn, what is up with companies not wanting to make drivers for their own products? First Creative and now this?) But everything works!

Anyway, with the new drivers I got the internet working finally(This is my first post from my new computer!) and I downloaded drivers for my graphics card and have that working now, and I'm amazed! I didn't realize how big a jump in graphics a 8500 to a 8800 was. Fallout 3 looks beautiful(or at least, as beautiful as a post-apocalyptic wasteland can be) and the extra RAM and CPU speed is doing wonders!
                Originally posted by Ellipses
                Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
                Originally posted by MCLV
                A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
                More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
                  Alright, well I found an unofficial third-party driver for my current adapter that works with the 64-bit version of Vista(God damn, what is up with companies not wanting to make drivers for their own products? First Creative and now this?) But everything works!

Anyway, with the new drivers I got the internet working finally(This is my first post from my new computer!) and I downloaded drivers for my graphics card and have that working now, and I'm amazed! I didn't realize how big a jump in graphics a 8500 to a 8800 was. Fallout 3 looks beautiful(or at least, as beautiful as a post-apocalyptic wasteland can be) and the extra RAM and CPU speed is doing wonders!
                  what Creative device do you have? because I know they make Vista 64 drivers for their sound cards (most of them I think)

and really Lunaryn, Vista is not bad, if you install it on a system capable of running it. 90% of the people that have "problems" with Vista are people that have it installed on a system with 512 or 1gb of ram (see this a few times working on Dells -.-)
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                    That's not worse than me not knowing about the 4 Prong Power Connector for P4. I thought the Motherboard was broken until I finally broke down and connected it.
                    {New Sig in the works}
                    -----------------------
                    "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                    "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                    Originally posted by Solymir
                    What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
                      I presume x86_64 Linux and WINE won't meet your needs
                      I would assume that since he is so impressed with building his own he wanted an OS that didn't require hand holding to work.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                        I would assume that since he is so impressed with building his own he wanted an OS that didn't require hand holding to work.
                        Then why the hell is he using Windows?

Comment

This topic makes me want to upgrade my computer and I've only had it about 9 months so its wayyyyy out of date
                          {New Sig in the works}
                          -----------------------
                          "There will come a day when the world will realize that Superman can no longer create miracles. If my name was Superman, that day would be today." 4/29/2009 - Me

Originally posted by Aksannyi
                          "Hello! 100+3 Leathercrafting, your materials, 5k! Mention code LTH74 for a special discount!" - they'd get blisted by everyone they sent that to.
                          Originally posted by Solymir
                          What do you have against Ants? Is iVirus some new Apple product?

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                            Then why the hell is he using Windows?
                            In the real world Feba, where not everyone lives in their parents basement, Linux leaves a whole hell of a lot to be desired in the desktop arena.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
                              In the real world Feba, where not everyone lives in their parents basement, Linux leaves a whole hell of a lot to be desired in the desktop arena.
                              Wasn't talking about Linux.

Windows is a PITA to set up and configure. If he didn't want to have to hassle with things, he would've gone with an OS that just works. Remember, we're talking about a home made computer, not one shipped by an OEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X