WTF is going on with my Hard Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is going on with my Hard Drive?

Okay, so I have a 512 GB Hard Drive, around 60 of which is partitioned off, leaving me with 455 GB to do whatever I want with.

I recall about a week ago only using up around 150 GB, with the remaining 300 GB free.

The other day I was looking at my computer stats, and noticed I had only 8.5 GB free, which was not much room left. I wondered how I could have possibly filled up so much space so fast, but I spent about half an hour cleaning up my computer anyway, deleting files and programs I don't need or use anymore, etc. I ended up freeing a good 60 GB, and it read as having 380 GB used.

So today I log in again, and check it. Only 8.3 GB free. The rest? Used up by something (I am not really sure what). I didn't install anything new, I didn't download any new music or anything, nothing. Not even a game update. What I want to know, is where is all of this hard disk space going?
    Last edited by Neomage; 07-06-2008, 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally posted by Ellipses
    Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
    Originally posted by MCLV
    A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
    More Sig:

Re: WTF is going on with my Hard Drive?

Have you done the usual - Virus scan - spyware scan - defrag - chkdsk?

If not please do these before anything else.

Comment

Yeah, I did all of that.

Defrag, chkdsk, ran AVG 8.0 full scan twice.
      Really, it's just like pretty much every question about this game that begins with "Why." The answer is "Because."
      A subjob is like sex, you shouldn't have it untill your 18 but if you don't have it after 21 everyone laughs at you.
      More Sig:

Comment

How did you partition the drive?

Comment

First, try finding and checking your swap file ... you never know, it may have gone totally out of control. If you have some time on your hands, I'd say to go into command prompt and "dir /a" for a quick and dirty check on space usage per directory ... I mean, it has to be going SOMEWHERE!

Comment

also, ummm do you use FRAPS by any chance?

I had that problem..... come to find out I was hitting the video record by mistake, and had about 20 videos all 2gb+ ;p
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
              also, ummm do you use FRAPS by any chance?

I had that problem..... come to find out I was hitting the video record by mistake, and had about 20 videos all 2gb+ ;p
              Hmm.... I do, actually. Let me go... check how big that folder is.

EDIT: O...M...G... I... I think we found the problem...

I disabled the FRAPS movie keybind... so this should stop it from spamming my HD with videos...
              Last edited by Neomage; 07-07-2008, 07:59 AM.
              More Sig:

Comment

Originally posted by Neomage View Post
                Hmm.... I do, actually. Let me go... check how big that folder is.

EDIT: O...M...G... I... I think we found the problem...

I disabled the FRAPS movie keybind... so this should stop it from spamming my HD with videos...

LOL!!!.... I knew it ;p

go into fraps and see what your hot key is for video.... and change it, that or disable video recording.............. and delete all those videos ;p
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

LOL, solved. damn thats alot of video, would be funny watching it through, you never know what gems you caught unwillingly!

Comment

Ok......

um........

Honestly....my sides hurt from laughing so hard......sorry Neo...
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      Ok......

um........

Honestly....my sides hurt from laughing so hard......sorry Neo...
                      QFMFT.

She just beat me to it, this is fucking priceless.
                      sigpic
                      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Working...
                      X