Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1TB Hard drive showing up as 130GB !?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1TB Hard drive showing up as 130GB !?!?!

Yesterday I bought a new 1TB Maxtor HDD and when I got home and formatted it and installed Windows XP on it, it showed up as 130GB . . . . I looked in the BIOS Settings and it still registers to my system as 1000GB but it wouldnt show that in Windows. I called my buddy and asked him and he said "Do you have any service packs installed??" I said "Not yet" . . . He told me that until I install service packs 1 and 2, it would not show up as a TB.

So I went ahead and installed Service Pack 1 and 2... restarted plenty of times just to see if it would recognize it.... and it STILL shows up as a 130GB HDD. ><

Is there a special patch or tweak I need to look into to get my full $200+ worth out of my HDD????
    ---------------------------

www.tinyurl.com/servants12

Re: 1TB Hard drive showing up as 130B !?!?!

Where are you seeing it reported as 130GB after installing service packs?

BTW, you only need to install Service Pack 2. (or SP3 now)
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

perhaps because windows sucks so hard it can't compute 1000GB's, hell it can barely compute that I want to allow programs to access the internet, and it certainly dosent retain the fact that I allowed FFXI to connect nearly everyday for the last year and a half. Burn in hell windows vista burn in hell.

sig courtesy tgm
      retired -08

Comment

Here is what I see.... Its under My Computer / Properties...
        Attached Files

Comment

This may sound like a stupid question, but is the entire disk partitioned out? If not, then only the portions that are partitioned will show up.
          Kindadarii (Bahamut)
          90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
          70.3 + 2 Woodworking
          52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Ummm... I have no clue.... is there a way to tell? And if its not, is there a way to partition the other 870 GB without having to completely reformat and all that crap >< ?

Comment

When you format the drive, you do the "Format Using NTFS (Quick)", right?

Also, is your drive sata? I know when sata first came out, some motherboards needed drivers to properly recognize sata drives and info.
              | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
              2/5 WAR +2
              Farsha(85)

Comment

Yes. To check it:

Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. From there, on the left side, look for Storage > Disk Management. That will tell you if it's partitioned out or not. If it is, on the right side at the bottom, you should see "Disk 0" and a nice color block stretching the entire way. If not, then I'd imagine about 10% will be a nice pretty block, the rest will be grey (or say "unformatted").

It may be best if you take a screenshot of that screen, and we can walk you through from there, since it *may* be difficult to determine the state of the drive itself. I'm pretty sure you can add a partition from there as well, in which case the rest of the drive will show up as another letter.
                Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                52.2 Synergy

Comment

You didn't do a great job of blacking out your name.

Comment

It is a SATA and when I did the format I did not do the "Format Using NTFS (Quick)" option... I did "Format Using NTFS". It was alot slower obviously but its how Ive been to told to always do it.

and here is a pic of the partition stuff...

and as for my name... I could care less.... name is Mike Walters..... who cares lol.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Re: 1TB Hard drive showing up as 130GB !?!?!

Right-click the 127.99-GB block and select "Delete Partition." That'll give you your whole drive as "Unallocated Space." Right-click that big black block and select "Create New Partition" (or however the wording comes up), and let it use the whole space. Then format.

Or you can just create and format a partition on the 803.52 GB that's currently unallocated and have two "drives."

Edit: Haha, crap, that's your C: drive. Don't delete the partition if that's where Windows is and stuff.
                      Ellipses on Fenrir
                      There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                      . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                        Right-click the 127.99-GB block and select "Delete Partition." That'll give you your whole drive as "Unallocated Space." Right-click that big black block and select "Create New Partition" (or however the wording comes up), and let it use the whole space. Then format.

Or you can just create and format a partition on the 803.52 GB that's currently unallocated and have two "drives."

Edit: Haha, crap, that's your C: drive. Don't delete the partition if that's where Windows is and stuff.
                        Windows won't let you delete the System or the Active partition anyway.

You might be able to convert it to a Dynamic disk and extend it that way, or just go with the multiple partitions.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

OK, I have no clue what a Dynamic Disk or anything like that is...

I didnt think it would be that hard to just extend/add onto the space I have now.

And even if I repartitioned it by reformatting, I would have the same problem wouldnt I??? because I then would have it reformatted and it would not have SP1 or 2 on it.... so Im screwed

Comment

In disk management you would right click the volume and choose "Make Dynamic" or something to that effect. You would then be able to right click it and extend the volume.

I've converted disks to dynamic before and never had a problem with it. Some disk tools made early in XP's life may not be able to see the disk after it is made dynamic however.

loose

Comment

Personally, if you wanted to extend the volume, I would go with Partition Magic. But, that's only because I own a copy.

I am personally an advocate of multiple partitions on a drive, as shown in the attached. Mainly, this is because Windows used to crash so often that it was impractical to put programs and documents on the same partition, since it would all get lost in the format. Then I switched to a multi-partition setup, and haven't had to worry about it.
                              Attached Files
                              Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                              70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                              52.2 Synergy

Comment

Working...
                              X