Graphics Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics Card

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a good graphics card for use with FFXI, but keeping a budget in mind of around $180, I am currently using a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Graphics Card

I don't believe that dimension has any AGP or PCI-E16 slots so there's no real good card for you. Although available, PCI graphics cards are just a waste of money.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

I just want something to make the graphics on FFXI a bit smoother and overall better, is there no way to improve them via graphics card or something else I could purchase?

Comment

well, you could try something like this, but it's quite crappy.

considering you can buy something twice the power for like $10 more (AGP only) it's not such a smart purchase either.

my recommendation is to save your money and look to upgrade to something with PCI-E16 (or AGP at least).

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Would that work with my computer and do a great deal for the graphics with FFXI?

Comment

what do you have now? detailed specs of your computer would help greatly...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

going PCI-E is not necessarily the only good option when upgrading, the exisiting AGP cards and the AGP interface is more than adequate for FFXI, the question is of money, and to go AGP, its a LOT less expensive than to go PCI-E. moneys always a factor for PCs, just remember that anything you get will be obsolete in 6 months, so don't put ur heart and soul into having the best stuff when it comes out it'll be more expensive

Keyura [Remora] ★ WHM52/BLM26 ★ BRD75/WHM37 ★ BLM62/WHM31 ★ SMN33/WHM16 ★ RNG15/WAR7 ★ BST19/WHM9 ★ (Active in Red)
              Greenkingdom LS to chat, Akui LS for sky, and Higeki LS for dynamis.
              Saroku [Unicorn] ★ WHM5 ★ (Active in Red)

Pingpong used his Masamune, but Keyura dodged! Pingpong's anger grows by 13.

Comment

Im not exactly looking for the best thing, i'm just looking for something that will improve my graphics when playing FFXI, I will tell you the exact spec of my PC when I find the booklet containing the information, but all I know for now is that it has 2.66ghz and 160GB, but I doubt that is relevant. Thanks for your response so far! ^^

Comment

actually, it's not that much more. besides, PCIE is more future proof.

otherwise, i agree, AGP is currently good enough.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

After poking around on Dell's site, I'm not sure if you have any options. Next time you upgrade, you can configure a system with a decent graphics card, not just integrated graphics.

--Jinni
                    war25 whm40 blm75 rdm41 thf45 nin42

Comment

I concure go with a GeForce FX 5500 but if you have more power there are PCI GeForce 6 series cards you can buy for a bit more money that will run closer to an AGP card but like I said they require a power supply of 470w
                      I was going to buy a GeForce 6 series because it supots bump and mip mapping plus is overall has a faster GPU internal clock speed and is a better card but I would have to upggrade the 250w power suply I have and I wasnt looking to spend over $100 on a graphics upgrade
                      I bought the GeForce FX 5500 256MB Ram and it will run FFXI just fine, maybe not eveything I had hpoed for but I can run Doom 3 and Fable they look awsome for a $70 retail price.

Intel Q6600 2.55ghz Quad Core CPU
                      4 GB 5400 DDR2 RAM
                      24" Asus & 22" Samsung LCDs
                      Diamon Radeon HD 5770 1Gb DDR5 PCI-E Vid Card
                      2.3TB HD Space
                      850w PSU
                      Custom Painted Armour Case w/ 7 case fans
                      2 Neon Cold Cathodes

Custom painted orange Gaming Armour rig!
                      http://yfrog.com/eopicture166hj

Comment

Actually that pc is lacking slots for upgrades period(no AGP or PCIE), the Only way to upgrade the gfx card would be PCI. Basically you are stuck with option,
                        A. ATI 9250 pci
                        B. Nvidia Fx 5200 pci
                        Both around 60 bucks

Welcome to OEM HELL

Use TG stores to find the card you need

Comment

Working...
                        X