Looking to get into anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into anime

Last edited by Boldfinger; 12-21-2023, 07:08 PM.
    It's too orangey for crows, it's just for me and my dog...

Originally posted by sevenpointflaw
    Momma used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Now she says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, go post in Killing Ifrit."

Re: Looking to get into anime

Escaflowne, Evangelion, Ruroni Kenshin, and Naruto are a few of my favs.
    FFXIV Balmung Server
    Tenro Matashi
    PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Akira. Ghost in the Shell (movie and Stand Alone Complex). Evanglion. Chobits. Cowboy Bebop. Trigun. Ninja Scroll. Vampire Hunter D.

ShinChan. Astroboy.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
      ------
      Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
      When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Originally posted by Ameroth View Post
        Akira. Ghost in the Shell (movie and Stand Alone Complex). Evanglion. Chobits. Cowboy Bebop. Trigun. Ninja Scroll. Vampire Hunter D.

ShinChan. Astroboy.

I personally found GiTS & Evangelion boring.

I suggest Monster, Death Note, Texhnolyzed & Cowboy Bebop.

Comment

Momma used to say, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." Now she says, "If you don't have anything nice to say, go post in Killing Ifrit."

Comment

Akira is, um, odd. Its appeal is not very broad, unfortunately it is also held up as some right of passage that if you don't like it you're some sort of dolt and don't really like anime. Evangelion is the same.

There is no genre of anime. It is just a style of story telling or movie making, it doesn't dictate the type of story. You don't 'get into' anime. You 'get into' science fiction, or adventure or you 'get into' specific series.

Do you like Comedies? Giant Robot Films? Crime Drama? These are the questions to answer, then someone can point you to series or movies that you might like.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Comment

Do you prefer to watch the anime with English dub (dialog)? Or are you okay with the original Japanese dialog with subtitles?

If you are really interested with anime, I would suggest for check-out anime from fansub. It is because a lot of interesting anime "never make it" (into DVD) outside of Japan.

P.S.
                The recent trend for Japanese anime is using manga (Japanese comic) as the base (convert manga into anime). You may want to getting into manga too, since manga story usually progress ahead of anime. Another trend is adaptation from game or novels into anime.
                Server: Quetzalcoatl
                Race: Hume Rank 7
                75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Vampire Hunter D is probably one of the first animes I watched. Back then it was called Japanimation.

It sounds like you have a lot of good suggestions to get your started. I recently started watching Naruto on Cartoon Network. It was pretty silly at first, then it took a more serious turn. I still watch the "new" episodes on Saturday but its gets old when they keep flashing back to the same stuff over and over again.
                  Thanks Kazuki.
                  Dragoon Equipment

Comment

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, Ninja Scroll, Evangelion
                    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Comment

If this is the case, I would recommend you get anime directly from "fansub" if your internet bandwidth is enough. Official Anime DVD is only worthwhile for anime movies or OVA (for the good ones). For anime TV series, the official DVD release is just too slow and expensive in the long run. Send me a PM if you want more info for getting fansub.

P.S.
                        If you like Ninja Scroll (the movie), I would suggest Basilisk ( Basilisk.tv - The Official Basilisk Anime Website from FUNimation ). If you like graphics like Animatrix, I assume you had already watch Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children When you mention Vampire Hunter D, I assume you are referring to Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust? (there were more than one existing Vampire Hunter D anime).
                        Server: Quetzalcoatl
                        Race: Hume Rank 7
                        75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Spriggan

Comment

I quite enjoyed the 'Sci-Fi' stylings...
                            That reminds my brain: Kite.

Banned in Norway. Must be good eh?

P.S. it's got much less to do with 'sci-fi' than I just made it sound.
                            Last edited by Ameroth; 01-28-2008, 06:57 AM.

PLD75 DRK60 lots of other levels.
                            ------
                            Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
                            When ignorance reigns, life is lost

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X