Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square-Enix to make worldwide simultaneous new releases "the norm"

Reported by IGN

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada told Japan's Nihon Keizan Shimbun daily today that from here on out, the company will be "making simultaneous releases the norm."

Of course, the question is if this plan includes upcoming monster hits like Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest IX. Both titles are still without a final release date, suggesting that if past schedules hold, we wouldn't have a chance of getting either until 2009 or beyond.

You can thank the strength of the gaming markets outside of Japan for this sudden shift in policy, which is actually just one area of overseas gaming that's drawing the attention of the suits at the Square Enix headquarters in Tokyo. In addition to simultaneous releases, the company is looking into the possibility of forming development studios outside of Japan and even selling overseas-developed games.

----

Here's to hoping North America and Europe start seeing a little more love from Square-Enix.

Icemage

Re: Square-Enix to make worldwide simultaneous new releases "the norm"

SE can start the love with the FF International titles >,>;

Comment

Ya ill take some FF3 over here so i dont need to buy a gameboy please

sig courtesy tgm
      retired -08

Comment

FFXIII worldwide release in Q2 2009 all over my face please.
        PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
        Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
        WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
        Currently Playing:
        FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Yeah I'd like to see the Internationals of X and XII.

Hurray for the possibility of working for SE in the USA on major titles instead of just translation projects! KICK ASS!

^_^ SE really is one of the better JP companies (alongside Konami)

Nintendo and especially Capcom could learn a thing or two from them.
          sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Its about time, here in little Europe we always get the game months later than the US who get it months later the JP. So I am all for the simulaneous release. For one thign i don't have to ehar from people how great teh game is while I'm still waiting for it to come here to europe!

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
              SE can start the love with the FF International titles >,>;
              ?!

SE can start giving EU games before they become "last year's news" in Japan and the US.

Boohoo International titles.
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
                ?!

SE can start giving EU games before they become "last year's news" in Japan and the US.
                Tell EU countries to stop using PAL then.

Boohoo International titles.
                Boo hoo nothing, did you see Kingcom Hearts II Final Mix? Came with a PS2 Remake of the GBA Chain of Memories game. Its bullshit that they refuse to put these "International" titles out for western release.

Comment

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                  Tell EU countries to stop using PAL then.
                  Yeah, all of Europe except France, most of South America, two thirds of Africa, the entire Middle East, the majority of Asia, Australasia, and let's not forget Greenland.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                    Yeah, all of Europe except France, most of South America, two thirds of Africa, the entire Middle East, the majority of Asia, Australasia, and let's not forget Greenland.
                    Then don't complain about NTSC users getting stuff before you.

NAs use NTSC, Japan uses NTSC. Most compatible format for those regions, hence the priority.

I mostly think SE is shifting stances more to the fact they like to delay games forever and ever anyway. Its not something Nintendo or the rest of the industry should have to follow just because SE does it.

Additionally, with current gen costs being what they are, world-wide releases save a large third party like SE some money.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlebeard View Post
                      Because South America, two thirds of Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Australasia, and Greenland are in Europe. It was a rather specific comment, buddy.

Anyway, if you don't like that things aren't supported by your standard you should switch, get other people to switch, or make a conversion mechanism of some kind. That, or learn to live with it.

If the selection in your stores is crap, look into importing. There are plenty of places that import Japanese games to America, and the amount of Americans that speak that language is small, and we already have tons of brand new games. I'm sure that's the case for Europe too.

Comment

Whats easier, to tell whole countries to stop using PAL, or to tell a company to get both formats ready for worldwide release?...

I really doubt its the former ;|

When FFXII came out in europe, I didnt even want to play it anymore. How would you like that?

Comment

Honestly, if I lived in Europe, I would probably either make due with the games that are there, or import.

Comment

Well I make due and I import (not often).

I'd prefer to not have to pay more than you (shipping fees) to get my fix though.

Comment

No one makes due. They make do.

International shipping is an issue no matter what you're ordering. But I understand and empathize with your frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X