• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Bay takes a strong anti-RMT move

Link: http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/01/26/2026257.shtml
    eBay Delisting All Auctions for Virtual Property

Posted by Zonk on Friday January 26, @03:39PM
    from the definition-of-what-is-real dept.

The growing popularity of Massively Multiplayer games has brought the issue of ownership rights in virtual worlds, and the appropriateness of what is called 'real money transfer' (RMT) into an increasingly public light. The success of the company IGE, as well as the launch of Sony Online Entertainment's 'Station Exchange' service would seem to indicate that RMT is now an acceptable part of Massive gaming. The well-known auction site eBay has recently made a policy decision that may throw these assumptions into a different light. Following up on a rumour that's been going around I spoke today with a media representative for the company, who confirmed that eBay is now delisting all auctions for 'virtual artifacts' from the site. This includes currency, items, and accounts/characters; not even the 'neopoints' used in the popular Neopets service is exempt from this decision. Read on below for the company's rationale for this decision, and a few words on the impact this could have on future RMT sales.

Mr. Hani Durzy, speaking for eBay, explained that the decision to pull these items was due to the 'legal complexities' surrounding virtual property. "For the overall health of the marketplace" the company felt that the proper course of action, after considerable contemplation, was to ban the sale of these items outright. While he couldn't give me a specific date when the delistings began, he estimated that they've been coming down for about a month or so. Mr. Durzy pointed out that in reality, the company is just now following through with a pre-existing policy, as opposed to creating a new one. The policy on digitally delivered goods states: "The seller must be the owner of the underlying intellectual property, or authorized to distribute it by the intellectual property owner." Given the nebulous nature of ownership in online games, eBay has decided the prudent decision is to remove the possibility for players to sell what might be the IP of other parties via their service. Mr. Durzy made it a point to say that initial listings of virtual property would not have punitive actions. Their assumption, he said, is that most users break with policies because they're unaware of them, rather than maliciously. Initial infractions will result in a delisting of items, and an attempt to educate the user on the policy. Persistent disregard for the policies, of course, will result in a removal of the seller's account.

We've spoken before on the possibility of taxation of virtual goods in the U.S. and abroad, as well as the economic impact these sales can have. With the removal of a very popular, very public source of virtual currency and goods from the market, what does this mean for the future of RMT? Will small businessmen who previously worked via eBay now turn to larger independent sites like IGE? Given that eBay is ipso facto declaring virtual goods to be the property of the game makers and not the players who 'earn' them, what does this mean for the future of virtual rights in general?

Dig A10; Main: Bonecraft 100+3/subs: 60/Fishing 59.7
    Mules: Cooking 100+3/Alchemy 77.7

http://www.youtube.com/Ayrlie

Re: E-Bay takes a strong anti-RMT move

Not exactly News on FFXI, but important enough to merit posting onto the front page. Moved!

Thanks for the heads up, Ayrlie!

Icemage

Comment

{Sweets}
      FFXIV Balmung Server
      Tenro Matashi
      PLD|GLD - MIN|BOT - ALC|ARM|BSM|CRP|GSM|LTW|WVR

Comment

Good job, eBay! Way to take a stand against stupidity!

Comment

Ugh, slashdot. But this news is still awesome!
          MisterCookie: Alla refugee since May 2006

MisterCookie: Writing poor signatures since January 1999

http://www.songbirdnest.com - OSS Media Player

Comment

THANK YOU!!! this is a huge step to combat RMT. Take that you camping CGF asshats
            hopefuly other sites who sell game money/items/characters/etc. will follow.
            "Oooo oooo, Mr. GM, that guys fishes a lot.
            Oooo oooo, Mr. GM, that guy camps the guilds all the time.
            You know what?
            Shut the hell up."

Comment

That is awesome. And reminds me of something I had wanted to mention here. At school the other day in our library I noticed a flier for an FFXI account for sale. I didn't look at the details of it but it made me cringe.

No matter how much I put into my character, I could never sell my account.
              sigpic
              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                That is awesome. And reminds me of something I had wanted to mention here. At school the other day in our library I noticed a flier for an FFXI account for sale. I didn't look at the details of it but it made me cringe.

No matter how much I put into my character, I could never sell my account.
                Same here. I would never sell my character.

Kudos to Ebay for taking a step in the right direction.

Now what are we going to call people that bought gil/accounts online?
                Can't call them Ebay anymore.
                /em wave hand across chest

/s This is not the sig you are looking for. . .

Comment

Me too I could never sell my character to someone else. When (if ) I stop playing I will give him a solemn farewell and delete him. I may even get a littl e emotional. I just couldnt imagine what someone else would do with him

Comment

I'd sell my account...

for one... BILLION MILLION KAJILLION DOLLARS!

*Dr. Evil pinky*

I wouldn't even give my account to my best friend. I am Pawk, and he is me. I don't "roleplay" him in the slightest, and all my friends would be shocked for it to not be me.

My wife, on rare occassions, will log me in to do a raise for a friend, but that's the limit of who accesses my account.

Comment

This is awesome: now that E-Bay leads the way, others will soon follow! But justice has won the battle, not yet the war. The true victory will be when companies like IGN crumble.

But to think people could find RMT to be acceptable of all things!
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                      Originally posted by Armando
                      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                      Originally posted by Taskmage
                      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                      Matthew 16:15

Comment

Originally posted by Runningriot View Post
                        this is a huge step to combat RMT.
                        This has nothing to do with combating RMT, E-Bay has for some time had a policy against selling non-physical items (along with other things like babes).

It's not limited to just player accounts or in-game items.

On top of that, E-Bay is probably more worried about selling items that the seller (players) do not own then any scourge of virtual worlds.
                        I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron
                          This has nothing to do with combating RMT, E-Bay has for some time had a policy against selling non-physical items (along with other things like babes).
                          Babes? So they don't sell chicks either? Damn.

Grats Ebay.l
                          Thanks Kazuki.
                          Dragoon Equipment

Comment

E-bay is limiting possible future liability from the legal issues of if it is the player or the MMO company that owns the items. As well as difficulties with now infamious issues of scammed/stolen gear being sold. Regardless of E-bay's intentions I'm overjoyed at removing one avenue of selling characters/gear since selling them to IGE directly= lower profit for the character seller and less temptation to do so.
                            edit: all in all they decided it was enough of a irritant to them to crack down. /cheer
                            Last edited by Theyaden; 01-28-2007, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theyaden View Post
                              E-bay is limiting possible future liability from the legal issues of if it is the player or the MMO company that owns the items. As well as difficulties with now infamious issues of scammed/stolen gear being sold. Regardless of E-bay's intentions I'm overjoyed at removing one avenue of selling characters/gear since selling them to IGE directly= lower profit for the character seller and less temptation to do so.
                              edit: all in all they decided it was enough of a irritant to them to crack down. /cheer

accidentaly quoted instead of edited to get this one. Could a moderator please delete this double or pm me if there is a way for me to remove it myself. thanks
                              Last edited by Theyaden; 01-28-2007, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X