Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from the Producer Live VI - Q&A Answers

Letter from the Producer LIVE Part VI Q&A Updates

Some really interesting ones in there, like a new bonus for those of us that got the collector's edition for 1.0!
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Re: Letter from the Producer Live VI - Q&A Answers

I really hate the navigation, especially since I can't see the full questions (and figure out whether or not I should bother clicking on it).

I fell asleep halfway through the live broadcast but I swear to god Yoshi-P forgot to turn on some graphic elements. Limsa Lominsa looked like something out of a top end PC game circa 1999. However, what concerns me is that while player housing is a neat novelty, the arrangement in-game, while it makes for some impressive technical demonstration, looks rather blah and overwhelming. Blah in the sense that there doesn't seem to be very much variation in the housing (it's like one of those planned communities where every house looks the same aside from minor differences in lawn arrangements and painting schemes) and overwhelming in that if you luck out and got stuck with something 2,500 yalms in, you got a long-ass way to get to the housing. I think it would be just as interesting to have a facade of a community but a portal at front which will take you directly where you need to go. This doesn't need to be SAO since we're not planning on getting stuck in some virtual world with no hope of ever leaving it ...

Comment

What? The housing are all private instances just like our mog houses were so idk what you're complaining about.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
        What? The housing are all private instances just like our mog houses were so idk what you're complaining about.
        Did you even watch the Live? Yoshi-P essentially ran his Lalafell Gladiator through a section of the housing for what seemed like a good portion of the front end of that presentation. I'd say at least 15 minutes (there was a humorous point in which he jumped and fell through the roof and out to the side of one of the houses) That section of Limsa Lominsa was the player housing. LL proper was a different section altogether (and he had to use his developer hack to warp out)

Comment

No, because it was at freaking 5 a.m. my time and when he was asked about it in the last one he said the private houses would all be instanced.
          sigpic

Comment

It definitely was not instanced It looked like at least 60+ player houses in the area where he was shimmying around.

And wow, the beta test seems to go by fast this weekend. Still pissed cause we got booted out at the final boss in one of the dungeons (the level 25 one)

Comment

Well, it's also available to your FC, so he could have just opened it up to them. Again, these aren't "tiny" spaces like our mog houses. Also, the scale of them vary dramatically - there's small, medium and large estates you can buy (each exceedingly more expensive than the last).

It went by quick 'cause it started Thursday instead of Friday.
              sigpic

Comment

They aren't instanced.

He said before "prime real estate" would cost more than the houses that are farther in the zone.
                sigpic

Comment

the neighborhoods are instanced, the houses them selves are not.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kailea View Post
                    the neighborhoods are instanced, the houses them selves are not.
                    That makes sense. Although pretty much most zones in the game are "instanced" (they are not seamless like in WoW or other MMOs) in the sense that you zone in. The housing area was huge, probably a lot larger in total area than Limsa Lominsa upper level in 1.0 and I must imagine it has to be as the game progresses and more and more players can afford to purchase one. I'm sure there's a few players from 1.0 that could afford one right off the bat and a lot of us Legacy players (who didn't blow all our gils trying to "max" out professions towards the end of 1.0) will have a distinct advantage over new players. Quite possibly one of the rare instances where I would agree with the concerns of the player base at large (regarding the allowance of gil transfer even at a reduced rate)

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
                      That makes sense. Although pretty much most zones in the game are "instanced" (they are not seamless like in WoW or other MMOs) in the sense that you zone in. The housing area was huge, probably a lot larger in total area than Limsa Lominsa upper level in 1.0 and I must imagine it has to be as the game progresses and more and more players can afford to purchase one. I'm sure there's a few players from 1.0 that could afford one right off the bat and a lot of us Legacy players (who didn't blow all our gils trying to "max" out professions towards the end of 1.0) will have a distinct advantage over new players. Quite possibly one of the rare instances where I would agree with the concerns of the player base at large (regarding the allowance of gil transfer even at a reduced rate)
                      So roll on one of the fresh servers.
                      Problem solved.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Etra View Post
                        So roll on one of the fresh servers.
                        Problem solved.
                        I mean not allowing ANYONE to have gil transferred. You need to understand from the developer's perspective and the community at large. It's an all or nothing proposition. What fool would want to re-roll and not have access to their previous items/gils? I know of no one (outside of those overzealous idiots who got banned after breaking NDA) Yoshi-P painted himself into a corner when he promised that these things will not be touched. I'm sure, almost certain, that he has misgivings over it.

Special achievements, bonus items, even some enhancements to the character (e.g., permanent experience boost, say, 5%) that are not game-breaking, but obviously well-deserved would've been the best way to go. Right now, the community does have a legitimate point and concern (and even many game journalists have already started this discussion amongst themselves and in interviews with SE) Again, it remains to be seen, as Phase 3 will provide the best test-bed so that SE can examine closely the detriment (or non-factor) of this 'promise'.

Comment

I honestly don't see what the issue is with having the gil. All I see is, "It's not fair because they can buy things I can't."
                          sigpic

Comment

This is confusing mew. So the neightborhoods are instanced, but the houses are not? So wait what if there is overcrowding of courses if more people build houses in that neightborhood? unless they get their own instanced neighborhood, but then having a persistent house in an instanced neighborhood doesn't sound that much different from a Mog House (which is a private zone) Unless people outside can visit....but wait outside is instanced, well between the town, neighborhood and house zones. town and house are persistent, but neighborhood is like a bridge.... or something

Comment

Originally posted by jenova_9 View Post
                              This is confusing mew. So the neightborhoods are instanced, but the houses are not? So wait what if there is overcrowding of courses if more people build houses in that neightborhood? unless they get their own instanced neighborhood, but then having a persistent house in an instanced neighborhood doesn't sound that much different from a Mog House (which is a private zone) Unless people outside can visit....but wait outside is instanced, well between the town, neighborhood and house zones. town and house are persistent, but neighborhood is like a bridge.... or something
                              The neighborhood is a zone like any other, but instead of there being only one huge neighborhood, there will be several to choose from. If they used priority player model loading from FFXI, you may often see your neighbors running around the town.

Comment

Working...
                              X