Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Path of the Asuran Fist - A Pugilist Guide

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
    First prize goes to the troll who signed up to the site just to go on about a guide that was written way back in closed beta when people were still speculating what does what and people were still working things out because Squeenix FORBADE people actively discussing the classes and class info even on their own beta forums.

Also bravo for pointing out things that were in other posts that I later admitted was a mistake.

And thanks for not looking at my other post that said I have no intention of updating the guide because there are plenty out there that are better than anything I could write.

Thanks for pointing all this out. I'm now going to phone my mother and tell her she didn't raise me properly.

/onehandedclap
    Thanks for the warm welcome! You have a nice life.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
    In any event, you're self contradicting yourself with these two statements. Prime Conditioning is only 10% and that's about 30 or so (off 300) which is a drop in the bucket. If I don't stack Dexterity for evasion and have Parry heavy weapons, I'm still going to take in hits that will match that (or within two hits) In the end, PGL functions very similar to MNK/NIN and the idea here is to not get hit and try to parry a lot in order to use Fracture (axe skill) which can hit very, very hard.

I would still take CNJ over THAU up if you had to choose between the two because Shell and Stoneskin is more vital against spells like Impish Incantations and I rather have Cure II to get that loss back up quickly and not have to wait for a regen to cover me up when incoming damage (especially on multi-mob fights) will nullify those benefits.

My own experience with PGL has been quite beneficial borrowing (or building upon) my build as GLA ... Which is Primary STR, DEX and VIT and Secondary MND. There's pros and cons but the obvious caveat is here as you can skin the animal in more ways than one. There is no such thing as the one and only way to do this and play.
    I hope I'm understanding what you are pointing out as the contridiction as being the trait for 10% vs pumping up mind
    for a conjurer main it currently takes 2 points in mind to increase cure by 1
    so at 300 with an increase of 30 you would need to invest roughly 85 skill points

as for parry vs evasion, from what i've seen in my own testing pug parry is basicly a block, it doesn't fully parry only partially (i'm not sure if parry is affected by str or dex (it is dex in 11) while i don't doubt that fracture hit's hard, and is a good skill, the stun and enmity generated by jarring strike is also very nice for holding hate and avoiding damage

sure, there are many ways to play, i wasn't saying that you most go dex build, i was simply stating that pugs main stat is dex
    as a dd, high crit rate (crit build mnk in 11 are some of the most damaging)
    as a tank, high evasion rate for lack of high def gear

if you choose to play pug as a blood tank then by all means do so, it's a video game so have fun with it ^^

hope i've cleared up any confusion i may have created for you

Comment

Re: The Path of the Asuran Fist - A Pugilist Guide

Originally posted by Akuun View Post
      I hope I'm understanding what you are pointing out as the contridiction as being the trait for 10% vs pumping up mind
      for a conjurer main it currently takes 2 points in mind to increase cure by 1
      so at 300 with an increase of 30 you would need to invest roughly 85 skill points
      The contradiction here was saying that investing in MND was a waste if you're also going to rely on Sacrifice which stands to benefit from MND as well. If what you say is true then investing in MND should be important and should never be neglected in any build that is not dependant on a main healer. Builds that will solely rely on a main party healer can ignore MND and you don't even have to worry about having to level Thau or Conj at all. But builds that are self sufficient need to have some kind of heal and I only said that if you had to choose between the two, Conj is better than Thau overall. If you can level both, then it goes without saying that you should level both (Conj for at least Protect and Shell even if you don't use Cure)

Originally posted by Akuun View Post
      as for parry vs evasion, from what i've seen in my own testing pug parry is basicly a block, it doesn't fully parry only partially (i'm not sure if parry is affected by str or dex (it is dex in 11) while i don't doubt that fracture hit's hard, and is a good skill, the stun and enmity generated by jarring strike is also very nice for holding hate and avoiding damage
      Parry can fully mitigate and if you're hitting partials a lot that means you're up against monsters that have a special bonus which prevents you from parrying fully and/or you don't have enough stats to parry. The rates are controlled by the weapons you wield. Note that there are plenty of weapons for each melee class and that they differ somewhat in stats. Some swords, for example, seem to focus more on damage output and other swords focus more on defense (i.e., higher parrying rates) This holds true for PGL because you can see just how many different h2h weapons there are.

As for what controls how much you mitigate, I think parry is the same as block, where mitigation is controlled by STR. If you go only DEX build then you're going to lack two things as a tank ... enough damage to circumvent defenses of an enemy (Say, enemy A might be 100% against blunt, but weak against slashing) so you can produce enmity and also enough of other stats to help increase mitigation, which in PGL case would be parries and your health pool. I suspect that, like in WoW, health is king and the more health you have, the more cushion you grant healers and the less you rely on RNG.

(I only made the analogy to MNK/NIN but evasion is capped and you cannot get 100% evasion in the game right now ... you also cannot "evade" spells ... that is governed by resistance)

Comment

Working...
      X