X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Path of the Asuran Fist - A Pugilist Guide

Aeni... PMS is not a laughing matter. Geez man... /tsktsk
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Not sure if I'm going to laugh or run and hide.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeni View Post
        I didn't PM you Firewind. Do you still like me?

But anyway ... I suggest that for w/e combat classes people use ... they gotta level up Thau and Conj. Not sure why exactly but almost everyone that I run into seems to think that it's a must. Don't need to take it to 50 although you're quite welcome, but getting key abilities at every point seems to be what they were alluding to. Some of the JP players were even surprised I was even thinking of getting GLA to 50 w/o leveling Conj and told me that it was in my best interest to get it at least to within 10 or 15 ranks of GLA (i.e., 25-10)
        So far my GLA's abilities are mostly from itself not other classes with 2nd wind, cure, barbs and taunt being the exceptions.

I can see upgrading those abilities to the II version but other than that, GLA's abilities are tough enough to hold the job w/o needing high sub jobs.

I'll probably change my stance one I look into the high lvl jobs abilities, but so far I'm not trying to create a cookie cutter PLD anymore.

Sure Shell/prot and such and cool to have but in a party/tanking situation you'll have a mage cast those on you anyhow.

And with shield abilities are you're golden. (Shield bash 4eva)

Comment

Pugilist do get a bunch of hate generating abilities: Taunt and Jarring Strike being the most notable so if you to plan to level a Gladiator, Pugilist abilities will be very useful to have.
          Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
          Reiko Takahashi
          - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
          Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Though most of the heavy armor has very little evasion (Check haubergeon set) so evasion based abilities are just wasting slots when you're fighting red mobs.

Though they work nicely for solo, or if you have a decent evasion build.

On a different subject its starting to bug me that the PUG "token" armor/clothes, seem to have stats that favor crafting and gathering more than fighting, this is either a case of SE with their random stats on gear (See DRK AF) or there's a memo I didn't get.

Until that's solved we have another subligar epidemic on our hands.

Comment

Taunt and Jarring Strike don't need an evade, that's Haymaker. That being said Featherfoot if basically Third Eye and can be very useful if you pull hate from a Red.
              Reiko Takahashi
              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                Taunt and Jarring Strike don't need an evade, that's Haymaker. That being said Featherfoot if basically Third Eye and can be very useful if you pull hate from a Red.
                That I did not know, I'll look into that ability when I get back home.

Comment

Unless it's a bug I've gotten it to fire off a couple of times without an evade but I checked and you're right it does need one. Still that's what featherfoot is for. It's 2 slots but at higher levels you can probably afford it.

Does anyone know if Taunt and the Gladiator Taunt share a cooldown? If not then you could have two taunts.
                  Reiko Takahashi
                  Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

They don't share cool down, but after the Nov patch, Taunt on GLA is weaker than Provoke, but nice to have nonetheless.

About featherfoot, in FFXIV's home page (not lodestone) we clearly see an evasion and attack stance, but so far I haven't seen those, which is pretty disappointing.

I'm hoping we'll get it later, it'll be lame if SE dropped/forgot about it.

----------------

I'm thinking that if I level pug some more I'll aim for high evasion gear, but I'm not finding any pug spesific gear with higher than average eva, maybe 1-2 points more than other options, and theres no AGI stat to boost.

I guess STR build is the way to go.

Comment

Does DEX effect evasion at all? I've heard conflicting answers from so many sources I really don't know myself.

And to be honest most of the Pugilist gear sucks unless you roleplay a character who has spent time in the Ul'Dah arena. Harness + Subligar doesn't really fit a pirate character or someone from Gridana well XD

EDIT: I'm not sure if they fixed it but the fastest way to get Pugilist XP is to simple spam Concussive Blow. It gets two chances to get XP, one for the hit and one for the blind proc.
                      Reiko Takahashi
                      Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                        EDIT: I'm not sure if they fixed it but the fastest way to get Pugilist XP is to simple spam Concussive Blow. It gets two chances to get XP, one for the hit and one for the blind proc.
                        Wait, you can earn higher sp/exp from spamming abilities? I didn't know that. I thought they rigged it so whether the fight lasts 20s or 400s, you'd get the same sp/exp.

My PUG is at 14 and it's a machine (atm). Mowing through mobs like hot knife through butter and soloing 2 star leves at Camp Skull getting 400-550 sp per mob kill. I put on all sorts of assorted gear that has "Favor ALL or PGL" on it and just crafted a Bronze Knuckles for myself last night. Featherfoot is so sexy that I can't imagine what I'd do without it but it's hard to find a spot on my GLA bars for it. I'm not even sure what I'm doing with GLA but grinding is excruciating at 22 and that means either my build is not well crafted for the class, I'm fighting the wrong mobs or I'm using the wrong abilities. But PUG is fun and fast paced and I can see myself taking it pretty high (I already am to supplement GLA though)

Comment

My PGL, sad to say, is outperforming my GLA, which is 3 ranks higher. The feel of the class seems right and requires just a few abilities out of the box to get it up and running. You probably just need R18 & R20 Marauder abilities, Conjurer's Protect, Shell, Stoneskin, Cure and Spikes and maybe LNC's "misdirect" if you're strictly gunning for a DD build. I'm trying to see if stacking DEX does anything so currently my DEX is near 100 (if not passed it) while my STR is lagging behind and VIT is rounding out at mid 80s. I have a lot of MND, but because I wanted to do that for GLA, which sits largely unplayed. MND seems to help somewhat but I don't have a specific answer to any questions on what it's used for. I remember it being kind of important for certain gimmicky builds for MNK in FFXI.

You guys are probably gonna laugh at me so I'll just get it over with and say that I believe that the class is biased for Miqo'tes. I remember a long time ago where we were all arguing over base stats and what they meant for the game, race and classes. Well, laugh at me all you want, but something just feels ... strangely comfortable as a Miqo'te playing as GLA. I've evaded and even parried attacks that would've killed me but allowed me to extend a battle and turn it around in my favor (with the CD of abilities like Second Wind being refreshed as a result) Yet as a GLA or MRD it seems that I don't get that feeling and it seems that the class is working against me and does not want to play nicely.

Could just be all imagined or maybe not. We'll see ... someone out there is surely crunching the numbers and playing the stats game in order to get to the bottom of this. I'm suspecting the classes all have some "hidden" stat or ability which boosts a particular role (class) and fits in a certain way depending on your race.

Comment

Here are some corrections to the misinformation found in this guide and following posts

"Taunt the mob and hit Featherfoot and jarring Strike to dodge the next attack and counter with an attack that Stuns and gives a nice chunk of hate."

Jarring strike can only be executed after evading an attack.

"Strength, Vitality, Dexterity and Mind in that order."

Dex is your main stat as a pugilist
                            accuracy, evasion, and crit rate are all affected by it.

"Strength and Vit are important for tanking and damage dealing in general as being able to punch hard and take a punch is always useful."

Strength is only good for increasing damage, dex and vit are key for tanking

"Mind is useful because it effects Cure Potency and Magic Resistance which is important if you are needed to tank."

Mind does not affect second wind, and has little affect on on cure and sacrifice unless you stack on a lot
                            Mind does increase your magic defense, but will be of little concern while leveling

"Earth affinity is important because 10% of your melee strikes are Earth damage based and you also have a very potent Earth-bases Weaponskill whose damage is based on Earth. A lot of spellcasting monsters will also hit you with earth attacks early on so being able to resist them is great."

Only on the first 2 weapons, and seismic shock does not see a big increase from pumping points into earth
                            you're better off keeping elements balanced unless you are farming elementals as this also effects magic defense

"Conjurer is probably the best secondary class to level alongside a Pugilist. having your own Cure, Protect, Stoneskin and Shock Spikes is invaluable especially if soloing or main tanking."

Thaumatuge greatly out performs conjurer abilities
                            Sacrifice 2's regen is roughly an extra 400hp with prime conditioning, and costs less mp
                            MP spikes, and MP drain abilities will make sure you can keep yourself cured
                            Conjurer is still good to take to 16 for protect shell and shock spikes, but not as crucial as thaum

"Pugilist do get a bunch of hate generating abilities: Taunt and Jarring Strike being the most notable so if you to plan to level a Gladiator, Pugilist abilities will be very useful to have."

Taunt and Accomplice are your primary hate generating abilities
                            A pugilist is a spike damage type, meaning they can generate a lot of damage very quickly
                            and they seem to pull hate off tanks without even trying

"Taunt and Jarring Strike don't need an evade, that's Haymaker. That being said Featherfoot if basically Third Eye and can be very useful if you pull hate from a Red."

Jarring strike and hay maker both require you to evade an attack, it's even stated in the first post under jarring strike

"Taunt and Jarring Strike don't need an evade, that's Haymaker. That being said Featherfoot if basically Third Eye and can be very useful if you pull hate from a Red."

Most likely due to using it just before an evasion was displayed, or was used shortly after evading as you have 1-3 secs to activate after

"Does DEX effect evasion at all? I've heard conflicting answers from so many sources I really don't know myself.
                            And to be honest most of the Pugilist gear sucks unless you roleplay a character who has spent time in the Ul'Dah arena. Harness + Subligar doesn't really fit a pirate character or someone from Gridana well XD"

Yes, SE stated a short time back that Dex does in fact affect evasion
                            If you're looking for evasion, then Harness and kecks work very well

"EDIT: I'm not sure if they fixed it but the fastest way to get Pugilist XP is to simple spam Concussive Blow. It gets two chances to get XP, one for the hit and one for the blind proc."

it was fixed when they changed the SP system back in november

Comment

First prize goes to the troll who signed up to the site just to go on about a guide that was written way back in closed beta when people were still speculating what does what and people were still working things out because Squeenix FORBADE people actively discussing the classes and class info even on their own beta forums.

Also bravo for pointing out things that were in other posts that I later admitted was a mistake.

And thanks for not looking at my other post that said I have no intention of updating the guide because there are plenty out there that are better than anything I could write.

Thanks for pointing all this out. I'm now going to phone my mother and tell her she didn't raise me properly.

/onehandedclap
                              Reiko Takahashi
                              Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Originally posted by Akuun View Post
                                Mind does not affect second wind, and has little affect on on cure and sacrifice unless you stack on a lot
                                Mind does increase your magic defense, but will be of little concern while leveling
                                Originally posted by Akuun View Post
                                Thaumatuge greatly out performs conjurer abilities
                                Sacrifice 2's regen is roughly an extra 400hp with prime conditioning, and costs less mp
                                MP spikes, and MP drain abilities will make sure you can keep yourself cured
                                Conjurer is still good to take to 16 for protect shell and shock spikes, but not as crucial as thaum
                                In any event, you're self contradicting yourself with these two statements. Prime Conditioning is only 10% and that's about 30 or so (off 300) which is a drop in the bucket. If I don't stack Dexterity for evasion and have Parry heavy weapons, I'm still going to take in hits that will match that (or within two hits) In the end, PGL functions very similar to MNK/NIN and the idea here is to not get hit and try to parry a lot in order to use Fracture (axe skill) which can hit very, very hard.

I would still take CNJ over THAU up if you had to choose between the two because Shell and Stoneskin is more vital against spells like Impish Incantations and I rather have Cure II to get that loss back up quickly and not have to wait for a regen to cover me up when incoming damage (especially on multi-mob fights) will nullify those benefits.

My own experience with PGL has been quite beneficial borrowing (or building upon) my build as GLA ... Which is Primary STR, DEX and VIT and Secondary MND. There's pros and cons but the obvious caveat is here as you can skin the animal in more ways than one. There is no such thing as the one and only way to do this and play.

Comment

Working...
                                X