Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting Shadows. Whose responsibility is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Counting Shadows. Whose responsibility is it?

There's a large difference between the macro being more negative than it is positive and the macro having absolutely zero functionality.

Comment

As posters before me have already stated, there were plenty of things wrong with the OP's party... and the mages not counting shadows wasn't one of them.

I've been staticing my NIN with a friend (he's NIN too), and we count each other's shadows. We've duo'd as NIN/WARs from lvl 15-23, and the exp flows so much smoother when we are able to voke right when the last shadow goes down, without waiting to see blood. It's a godsend to be able to do this when you are without a healer (like we were during the duo'd lvls). The other day we decided to make our first full party. We went from Qufim to the jungles in one session, but by the time we got to Yuhtunga, the WHM was DCing a lot. We kept pulling, even without him. Our 5 man party of SAM/WAR, THF/NIN x 2 and NIN/WAR x 2 kept going. After 3 DCs the WHM never came back and that was that- we continued, sans WHM, for another 4k exp, getting three people their lvls. Now that was a new type of party experience for me! :D In summary, tanks and co-tanks counting shadows gets a big MUST DO from me.

As a SCH or other healer without Flash, I suppose it might be slightly helpful to count your tanks shadows, just to be able to anticipate if you are going to need to cure-bomb. I don't think it's really necessary, though. But, WHMs can certainly benefit from counting shadows or at least, looking for "Tanksname starts casting Utsusemi" in the chat log, in order to time Flash for the best results.

I did use an "Utsusemi Down" macro during my one party in the dunes (before I started duoing with my friend)- but only because the backup tank wanted me to use it. I thought the macro was rather pointless. It's not like she voked off me any faster (read: hardly voked at all) when I used it.
      Nibblonian: "You are the last hope of the universe."
      Fry: "So I really am important? How I feel when I'm drunk is correct?"
      Nibblonian: "Yes, except the Dave Matthews Band doesn't rock."'

Sisqi ~Fairy~WHM 75
      PLD 60 RDM 54 BLM 48

Comment

im pro at rdm, i count shadows when im main healing. you dont have to do it but if you do it, you're that much better than the average healer, like me.
        signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Balfree View Post
          im pro at rdm, i count shadows when im main healing. you dont have to do it but if you do it, you're that much better than the average healer, like me.
          Well good for you. I myself can't stand looking thru the logs to see how many shadows my tank is missing. What exactly do you do when you notice he's used up all his shadows and Ichi or Ni is not up yet? There aren't too many options for a RDM.

I save myself the hassle, and my eyes bleeding, and just cure the NIN or /NIN when he takes some damage.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow Mage View Post
            Wait, wait, wait. Wait.

Wouldn't that mean Ninjas wouldn't need shadows to tank mandies, then?
            Honestly, they don't. I tanked mandies as a Thf/War, War/Mnk, Mnk/War, Sam/War, Drk/War, and Nin/War, shadows don't really help, and aren't all that special, against those guys. Counter is where it's at.

Originally posted by Feba View Post
            Armando, if all you're concerned about is your own performance, there's really nothing left to say.

The party is not a competition.
            Actually, you seemed to be the one concerned about your own performance:
            Originally posted by Feba View Post
            And yes, personally I feel it's detrimental. Having an extra macro is one more thing to keep track of, one more slot that you can't have easy ready to hit for something else, and encourages people to slack off. It's also one more line in the chat log -- it's like voke macros with a /p, they're just unneeded. I have things that would be more useful to see, and that just isn't one of them.
            Armando was always saying it's better for the party to have some form of communication, even if it's stating the obvious.

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
            At the same time, we're not here to babysit. True, the other tank should be counting his co-tank's shadows, but that's where the party fell apart. If he couldn't have main tank as a WAR/MNK in the jungle (WARs get Double Attack at lvl 25...) then he wasn't that good of a player to begin with.
            Fixed
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Working...
            X