Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Counting Shadows. Whose responsibility is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Counting Shadows. Whose responsibility is it?

1- You're fighting mandies. That is NOT A GOOD TIME FOR A BLINK TANK. Those things suck enough for a NIN with Ni and amazing evasion and haste stuffs. You're around lv30, YOUR NIN DOES NOT HAVE THOSE THINGS. You should've told the WAR to switch to /MNK or something and meat shield it up.

That is the most important thing here. The other thing is ONLY for situations where a blink tank is a valid choice (READ: NOT THERE)

2- If you're dual tanking, you need to watch the other person's shadows. Constantly hitting a macro to say "shadows down" is absolutely retarded. By the time you hit that macro, the other person should have ALREADY hit their voke macro. That WAR/NIN should not need help; a WAR/NIN doesn't have that much to keep track of, counting shadows is not a problem.

3- The NIN is an idiot. The main point of blink tanking is that you DO NOT GET HIT. If you DO get hit, it should not be happening often enough that it's a problem. You cure people when they're bloody, not when their shadows fall.

4- It is the NIN's responsibility to track their own shadows so they can recast. If you can't do that, you're SOL when you get to :Ni and you HAVE to keep shadows up.

Really, the problem here isn't a matter of "who's responsibility is it". That's just like trying to figure out why your perpetual motion machine has stopped turning. What you need is to do it properly in the first place.

Comment

Not sure what to add, particularly as the OP confuses me. Where in the jungles are you fighting Mandragora at level 37+ (when NIN gets Utsusemi: Ni)? NIN isn't a particularly great tank against mandies anyway, a properly geared WAR will do better there. When I took NIN through 25-30 levels I geared it similarly to my WAR, a bit more evasion but still fairly heavy on def. (Obviously no switch to Kampf gear at 29, though :p )

If the healers are practically co-tanking, "not healing enough" is definitely not the issue. If the healers are doing anything wrong there it'd be overhealing, or not using Regens effectively enough, but it sounds like the tanks either weren't managing hate well, or had too little def, or both. You can't stick with a pure blink-tanking mentality in that kind of situation, you need to be prepared to at least partially blood-tank. WAR/NIN can be pretty effective here, but you have to go in knowing your shadows won't protect you, only shave off a bit of damage. Gear for def, eat def food. NIN/WAR can be expected to balance a bit more between def and eva, but needs to expect to be caught with shadows down. I'd consider the WAR to be main tank and NIN to be backup tank in this scenario.
      Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
      DRK99,DNC91,THF90
      Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
      Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
      WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
      Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
      All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
      Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
      Clothcraft 24
      Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
      BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Luna, the OP never said that they were in a 37+ pt, fyi.

Some people are lazy. Those people may be fortunate enough early in their careers to fall to Darwinism and get totally turned off from a job and save us a headache.

You don't need shadows in the jungle, especially not on mandies who only hit for 20-30 damage a punch, and don't resist enfeebles.
        The Tao of Ren
        FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
        Originally posted by Kaeko
        As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by WishMaster3K View Post
          Luna, the OP never said that they were in a 37+ pt, fyi.
          The OP specifically referenced the rate at which said mobs ate through Utsusemi: Ni. Utsusemi: Ni is a level 37 spell.
          Kumei, pickpocket of Midgardsormr(Bastok Rank 10)
          DRK99,DNC91,THF90
          Alchemy 72, Smithing 51, Goldsmithing 48, Leathercraft 23, Fishing 20
          Koren, San d'Orian Adv.(Rank 10)
          WHM95,BLM90,SMN85,RDM82,SCH49
          Woodworking 29,Cooking 20
          All celestials(Trial-Size), Fenrir, Diabolos, Alexander, Odin
          Myrna, Windurstian Merchant
          Clothcraft 24
          Nyamohrreh, Windurstian Adv.(Rank 6)
          BST90,WHM56,DNC45

Comment

Lunaryn, personally I chucked that up to the OP not really knowing what Ni is.

I mean, when you consider that they were FIGHTING MANDIES WITH A BLINK TANK, it's not exactly a huge stretch of the imagination.

Comment

tanking mandies with shadows isnt the best idea (b/c its more troublesome than effective) but at lvls 25-32, those things hit so soft that just about any melee job can tank them.
              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Originally posted by Omni View Post
                but at lvls 25-32, those things hit so soft that any job can tank them.
                Fixed.

I've tanked mandies as a WHM. In a party that was made up of three or four WHMs.

They're that weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunaryn View Post
                  The OP specifically referenced the rate at which said mobs ate through Utsusemi: Ni. Utsusemi: Ni is a level 37 spell.
                  Wow, you're actually right. >_> My apologies.

/humble
                  The Tao of Ren
                  FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                  Originally posted by Kaeko
                  As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                    2- If you're dual tanking, you need to watch the other person's shadows. Constantly hitting a macro to say "shadows down" is absolutely retarded.
                    Leave it to Feba to say exactly what I'm thinking. LOL
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                      Leave it to Feba to say exactly what I'm thinking. LOL

agreed

if your dual tanking both tanks need to watch each others shadows, that dual tanking 101 -.-

sounds like these tanks failed that class ;p
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Kain (FFIV): I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.

Comment

If I'm dual-tanking, I tend to let the other tank take a hit at times, since it's entirely possible for mobs to miss ... it depends on how fast they're going through shadows. Of course, I should probably adjust my healer-specific chat settings, since as things stand, I only see my own shadows dropping...

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                          Fixed.

I've tanked mandies as a WHM. In a party that was made up of three or four WHMs.

They're that weak.
                          Wait, wait, wait. Wait.

Wouldn't that mean Ninjas wouldn't need shadows to tank mandies, then?
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
                          Originally posted by Armando
                          Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
                          GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
                          However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
                          Matthew 16:15

Comment

Well, in theory, but that Ninja was obviously a pussy. Pussies can't tank.

Also, you have to consider the fact that I am pretty damn kickass.

Comment

I disagree on the bit about a message macro being retarded. Sometimes hate shifts around and shadow counts get messy. It's also a nice heads-up for the healer. Just toss it out moments before you lose the shadow to account for human reaction time.

But yes. The cotank should be counting. Any message, if there is one, is just a safety measure.

Comment

If your hate is shifting around and getting shadow counts muddled up often enough to need a macro, YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG.

That macro is no more needed than "<WHM> Oh shit I have hate help me out". First off, it should NOT COME UP OFTEN ENOUGH TO NEED IT IN EASY REACH. Secondly, WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN, PEOPLE SHOULD NOT NEED TO HAVE A CHAT LINE TO LET THEM KNOW.

Comment

Working...
                                X