at low levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• at low levels

is whm worth it at low levels? Sense, there really is not that many new players at low levels? o_O

Re: at low levels

Not really sure what you mean by a specific job being "worth it". All jobs are a little weak at low levels - that's why we strive to get to higher ones.

In the specific case of White Mage, it's a fairly useful job. It has a lot of tricks that are useful in a party, and aren't generally available to other jobs until much later.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
      Not really sure what you mean by a specific job being "worth it". All jobs are a little weak at low levels - that's why we strive to get to higher ones.

In the specific case of White Mage, it's a fairly useful job. It has a lot of tricks that are useful in a party, and aren't generally available to other jobs until much later.

Icemage
      Oh sorry I was kind of rushing when I wrote that. I ment, lets say I want to start partying at level 12+ or something in the dunes, does anyone even go there? I talked to one of my old pals and he told me about that place, and how most of the time only the "bored" people seem to go there.

Comment

Don't worry so much. I've been playing for less than half a year and have taking 10 jobs through the dunes. Only one of those was White Mage. You are never going to find yourself being the only player in a specific level range, and those other people are going to want to level up too.

When I started I was a bit worried, like you are now. The game had already been out for 5 years. But to my surprise the servers are all still active with plenty of people to level with, even in the low levels. (Honestly, I think jobs see more party issues at higher levels than they do at the lower ones.)

In short, play whatever job you want and you will be fine.

Edit: Hey! You're on Garuda! Same server as me. I think you can trust my word then.

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
          Don't worry so much. I've been playing for less than half a year and have taking 10 jobs through the dunes. Only one of those was White Mage. You are never going to find yourself being the only player in a specific level range, and those other people are going to want to level up too.

When I started I was a bit worried, like you are now. The game had already been out for 5 years. But to my surprise the servers are all still active with plenty of people to level with, even in the low levels. (Honestly, I think jobs see more party issues at higher levels than they do at the lower ones.)

In short, play whatever job you want and you will be fine.

Edit: Hey! You're on Garuda! Same server as me. I think you can trust my word then.
          ah ok thanks! :-D Also I just joined FFXI like right this second xD, but yes I am on the same server as you! If you want give me a holler, my name is Whitell

Comment

Originally posted by Ahi_Khali View Post
            ah ok thanks! :-D Also I just joined FFXI like right this second xD, but yes I am on the same server as you! If you want give me a holler, my name is Whitell
            Sure. ^^ I'd be happy to give you a few pointers and help you up on your feet. Name's Blueyes and I'm around just about every day. It's a bit late for me now to log in again, but I'll be around tomorrow as usual.

Comment

In a more general sense too, WHM is certainly 'worth it' at low levels.

My first job that I levelled was WAR. Took that to 38 as I was aware that it was an important job to have available for subjobbery. So there I am, a big, bad level38, running through Qufim without getting any agro and feeling great. Next on the to-do list was to get WHM sub levelled up.

And here's the thing: once I hit WHM25 I realised that the world had just opened right up. With the spells Sneak and Invis at my disposal I was able to travel and explore places, accomplish things (soloing the vast majority of Mission 4 for example) that I couldn't dream of doing on my higher level WAR.

WHM at low levels offers huge utility. Even more so once you hit 34 and can get access to Warp from BLM sub. Then even more again at 36 with the three basic teleport spells (which also allow making some steady, moderate gil) and once more at 38 with the tele-jungle and tele-desert spells (definitely worth taking WHM to 38 rather than just the usual 37 if you only want WHM for subjob).

What point am I trying to make here...? Um, I guess I just think more new players should take up WHM early in the game, purely for practical purposes.

It's worth it at low level.

As for your actual question regarding is it worth trying to party on WHM low-level. The answer to that is: woah heck yes! The Dunes has a reputation - not a good a one. Lots of reason for that, but a big one is simply that it can be empty nowadays (which sadly enough is a knock-on effect of its bad reputation, thus the zone perpetuates its own demise to a degree).

Go to the Dunes. Give it some love. You'll get a party I'm certain, especially on WHM. The more players use the Dunes, the healthier the zone is. You'll also need to get items for your subjob I assume - these are obtained from enemies you tackle in the Dunes.

Good luck and have fun in-game^^

p.s Do some research on Outpost Warps. Before you head to the Dunes, try to activate your ZULKHEIM SUPPLY RUN (this may not be possible depending upon which nation owns Valkurm). It's a means to teleport back and forth directly between your home city and the Dunes and it is truely a beautiful thing.
              Oh, Warp. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Comment

WHM is a job that everyone wants in their party because it means that the tanks actually stay alive and everyone gets more exp as a result. As a 31WHM I can't even look at Jeuno without having to use /anon because of the number of invites you will get. I get the same thing with BRD too. here are a few useful things that I have learned that will make your life easier:

1) Try to conserve your MP. At low levels it's hard to do as only a few cures will burn through your MP but remember that you don't have to use spells on everyone. Tanks (at this level it's anyone who can voke) should get curing priority because they will take most of the damage. You also only need to cast protect on the melee fighers, same with bar-spells. Mages will never need such things are you will be standing as far back as possible with the other mages.

2) Take up a craft. Fishing Moat Carps, farming bees for Honey and Beehive Chips and Killing Crawlers for Silk Threads are how low level WHMs make money fast. While WHM is very cheap gear-wise (as will be touched on later) scrolls will cost a lot when you hit the 30's. Honey, Beehive Chips and Silk threads are all quite uncommon drops but fishing is always reliable so they make an excellent way to add to your income. Taking up Clothcraft (stack of grass cloth goes for up to 4k on Kujata), Smithing (Bronze Ingots sell for 3-4K on Kujata) and/or Leathercraft (stack of Sheep Leather goes for 5-8K on Kujata). You should take a few days exping then a few days dedicated to making money. So do and you will never have to worry about money until you need those 500k Elemental Staves.

3) Don't worry about gear. White Mages will never be expected to fight so could really go into an exp -party naked pre-29. Save all of your money and only buy clothing that boosts MP and MND.elvaan and galka should priorotise MP gear since thier MND is already excellent, Taru should go for MND gear while Mirthra and Humes can go for either (never use a balanced build since they never work). Only use wands. Staves are not as useful until Lv30 and even then most WHMs I know keep them until Lv51. You can get away with equipping any gear until Lv29 which is when the Seer's Gear is unlocked. Not only does this look awesome but it will easily last you until you can get your AF gear and even then I still see WHMs using it. Try to get the +1 version of the Tunic at least. It costs a LOT (They go for anything from 30-60K on Kujata) but I have never regretted the decision to go for it.

3a) Scrolls on the other hand are expensive. While it's nowhere near as expensive as say BLM or BRD the cost still adds up. You don't have to have every single spell but the majority of spells will see use at some point. The spells you are fine to skip on are Diaga, Banishga, Holy and maybe the Curaga and Shell spells but don't skimp on them! Curaga and Shell do find uses, they are just highly situational spells. I have also been able to get away with not having Silena and Cursna (because people tend to avoid mobs that can use silence and curse), Barpoisona and Barsleepra (Cure heals sleep. being poisoned makes you immune to it). What you should always have are Cure, the elemental Bar-Spells, Regen, protect and the status healing spells at the very least.

4) Don't worry about screwing up. The Dunes is the area where everyone is learning how to play the job they are levelling. An LS friend of mine who has had the game since launch proved that even he can screw up. Nobody expects a new player, especially a mage of any type, to be great at the game. Yes you WILL die more often than anyone else but it happens. It's how everyone learns and everyone is very patient and kind to new players. I had a dunes party drop everything to help me get my Sub Job quest items even though in the time it took to get all of the items we could have hit 21 from 18. Just stick at it and you will find that it is worth it.

5) Don't worry about dying. It happens. Someone will make a mistake, sometimes spells and enfeebs just don't stick. Sometimes that one Goblin Smithy manages to Bomb Toss right away before you can get barfira up (there is a webcomic about that somewhere). Dying happens and while you may feel it is your fault 99.9% of the time it really wasn't. Most of the time if a player causes multiple deaths or a wipe they will fess up and apologise. However I find that 90% of the time deaths in a party are usually accidental rather than someone intentionally doing badly.

5a) Sometimes there are times where you will have to take hate by suing Curaga (avoid at all costs) or dropping a lot of cures. You may well die in the process if you take hate but you should be willing to sacrifice your well being and your life if necessary so that the party can continue fighting.

5b) On a related note do not be afraid to use Benediction. It generates massive amounts of hate and pre-30 it becomes almost impossible to save the WHM but that is part of the job. Like I said before, you should be ready to sacrifice yourself if it means losing some exp instead of the party wiping.

5c) Another note about death. If you have to zone for whatever reason do NOT be the first to leave. usually the tank stays behind to hold off the mob so the party can escape. However you staying behind to keep the tank healed makes this go much more smoothly. Make sure that it's just you and the tank left before running away.

6) One thing I love about being a WHM is that Raise is the single most useful tool of making friends fast. I found a party that had wiped in Qufim, 6 raises, 6 friend requests. While fishing at Knightwell I saw someone about to get killed by linking Gobs. A few cures later I found out that the guy was training SAM for his Lv 75 DRK job and I got someone who is willing to help out with Quests and Missions I would otherwise be unable to do.
                Rahal Gerrant - Balmung - 188 DRK
                Reiko Takahashi
                - Balmung - 182 AST, 191 BLM, 182 SCH, 188 SMN
                Haters Gonna Hate

Comment

Lots of nice info^^

Personally, I'd definitely add Curaga, Shellra and Silena to that priority spell-list though. But I do agree that they would be lesser priority to the other important spells mentioned. They aren't really spells you want to skip on / put off buying though and, unless you're really strapped for gil, should be picked up and learnt at the earliest opportunity. Diaga, Banishga, Holy are - like Firewind says - much much more blegh.

A WHM without Curaga in the jungles or Silena in the desert makes me a saaad sad Elf.

Comment

Originally posted by Firewind View Post
                    White Mages will never be expected to fight so could really go into an exp -party naked pre-29.
                    The rest of the post was great, but ignore this sentence. Don't be the WHM the rest of the party is complaining to their LS about. Good impressions go a long way in this game, and so do bad ones.
                    Ellipses on Fenrir
                    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                    . . .

Comment

I wouldn't take WHM as your priority job unless you've got a dedicated group of individuals to pull you to and through your 20s and 30s.

The dunes aren't bad, but after that... no one needs/invites WHM's. I imagine this changes later. But seriously: Why waste a party slot on a healer when you can have your friend PL you, pick up a 6th DD, and kill even faster?

Or at least, that's the rationality I've found lately. I've been stuck at 21 WHM for... 2 weeks now? It's been really sad, and I blame PL's for it. Seriously, I'd go solo EPs, but I'm terrified that someone who's actually looking for a WHM would miss me!

RE: FIREWING: I disagree with almost everything in firewing's post. Shell and curaga are "situational"? Only cast protect on "melee" jobs? Come now. This is *advice* you're giving? Have you actually played this game? This might have worked in say, Final Fantasy XII (A different game entirely...) but in FFXI, it's another story.

Please, if you're leveling WHM, use a guide for parties. There's a good one here that I highly suggest reading.

Seriously, if you're going to offer advice, please make it at least generally "good" advice.
                      :: Why can't this crazy love be mine? ::

SEVE - HUME WHM (31) BLM (19) THF (17) WAR (9) MNK (5) RNG (9) BLU (1) BRD (1) DNC (1) NIN (1) :: BAHAMUT

Comment

Shell really is situational at low levels. I can count on one hand the number of time's I've cast Shell when I couldn't have just as easily cast Shellra. Drive-by buffs don't really count; people are really grateful for Protect, but not so much Shell (imagine getting a drive-by Shell, but not Protect; it's just weird, while the reverse isn't at all).

The thing about situational spells, though, is that not buying them is practically a guarantee that you're going to end up in that situation a week later.
                        Ellipses on Fenrir
                        There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                        . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
                          Shell really is situational at low levels. I can count on one hand the number of time's I've cast Shell when I couldn't have just as easily cast Shellra. Drive-by buffs don't really count; people are really grateful for Protect, but not so much Shell (imagine getting a drive-by Shell, but not Protect; it's just weird, while the reverse isn't at all).

The thing about situational spells, though, is that not buying them is practically a guarantee that you're going to end up in that situation a week later.
                          Well, I am willing to admit that "Shell" as a distinctive spell can be considered situational in that regard for the reasons you give... but, honestly I don't see Shell as a buff to be situational in the slightest. Nearly every (or indeed every) mob in this game has a special attack in one form or another that can and will be affected by shell. It's more defense, plain and simple. Which makes an interesting thought, that why don't more people do drive-by shells? Eh? I mean, it is a buff, and not a bad one at that!

SEVE - HUME WHM (31) BLM (19) THF (17) WAR (9) MNK (5) RNG (9) BLU (1) BRD (1) DNC (1) NIN (1) :: BAHAMUT

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato_Kai View Post
                            I wouldn't take WHM as your priority job unless you've got a dedicated group of individuals to pull you to and through your 20s and 30s.

The dunes aren't bad, but after that... no one needs/invites WHM's. I imagine this changes later. But seriously: Why waste a party slot on a healer when you can have your friend PL you, pick up a 6th DD, and kill even faster?
                            That's too defeatist an attitude and too cynical a piece of advice to give for my tastes..

Not EVERYone demands PLs. Worse case scenario if a WHM is struggling to party 12-30.. find your own tank(s) and then fill the remaining spaces. Shocking notion, I know.

Comment

Well, it may be cynical and defeatist, but it's also a direct result of my experience as a WHM. I actually honestly enjoy playing the job - but whether I form a group of my own or not, PL's will still limit the effectiveness with which I can play my job. I don't know how many times I've asked the PL for the parties I have joined if I could cure a bit more so I could level my healing skill and get flat out turned down. It's sad to me that enfeebling and divine are perpetually capped, when healing - what could proported to be our most important skill - rarely is.

Interestingly, I think PLing is more common on some servers and less on others. Leveling my various jobs as I have the last few months, I can honestly tell you that the majority of the successful parties I've seen were all PL'd. I really wish I could pull some of those out. I honestly long for the days when PL's were rare and player skill was the order of the day.

You're right though. Advice it was not. Defeatism never won any wars.

Comment

Working...
                              X