Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Did The Real Mages Go?

What? Paladin taking hits? Really?
    I swear Mages nowadays dont even know what tanking is. Most of them think tanking is not tanking damage. No, Tanking is keeping the mobs attention and taking the hits for the party.

So i just want to see what you mages think about Paladins. What do you think when you get an invite to a party and see a Paladin instead of a Ninja tank? What do you think when a tank's HP goes from full to almost half? What do you think about mages who are so spoiled with Blink tanking that they don't even know what to do in situations where a "Paladin takes hits"

God forbid, a Paladin taking hits? No...

I swear the mages in my Dynamis LS where getting pissy because i was taking hate as a Paladin, TRULY skilled Mages would know how to manage their MP to enfeeble, cure, etc, etc. But mages these days are so spoiled, and i mean spoiled with "Colibri onry, all i do is haste the nins and /nins and go afk, look back at the screen, drop a cure V when needed, go back to afk"

Mage's have been kind of getting on my nerves lately, from not doing their jobs in Campaign to whining when a Paladin gets down to Red Health. Where are the real mages, the mages that actually find a thrill in doing what they do instead of just having the job because of invites. where did THOSE mages go?

/rantoff

EDIT:

This isn't MP sponge gear

I'll admit my Gear isn't GODLY with Koenig and relic and all that, but atleast im not walking around in 75 with full AF and a cheap shield and like lvl 50 VIT rings.

Paladin has always been my secondary job to lot on, my Bard is ALOT better equipped. But once i finish capping good gear on bard i'll work on Paladin.

SO theres no excuse with this gear that a Mage should be whining, i would understand if i was wearing "wtf gear" but im not. lol

Rings: Jelly and Hercules
    Earrings: Buckler and Intruder
    Adaman gear, Relic feet, all this i have 300 Shield Skill.

All i need left for Bard is the Sha'ir manteel, and I am set to start lotting for Paladin.
    Last edited by Selphiie The Enchantress; 02-20-2008, 03:27 PM.
    62Dancer | 75Corsair | 75Beastmaster | 75Paladin | 75Bard

Your resource for FFXI Farming

Re: Where Did The Real Mages Go?

I Paladins. As any kind of mage, at any level. I'm sorry you've had to deal with those who don't.

Comment

They leveled WAR/NIN and BRD for faster merits.

>.>

Sad, but true.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

As a melee, War and Thf, I love Plds.

Because they let me do my job.

Can't say anything from the pov of being a mage though...my highest mage jobs are 10 >_>
        "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

I only got WHM to 50something last time, but the main thing I always thought when I got an invite to a party with a PLD tank was "Thank god."
          Ellipses on Fenrir
          There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
          . . .

Comment

The whole point of PLD is to get their pretty face beaten into a bloody pulp. I for one am glad it happens to them and not me.

Hey they can even heal themselves to a point. It's like win all around.

Unfortunately it has got to the point that you're going to have to deal with a lot of jackasses to do anything in the game.
            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
              They leveled WAR/NIN and BRD for faster merits.

>.>

Sad, but true.
              Or they levelled RDM/WHM like me. :p But point still stands.

To be truthful, most of the "pure mage" players have long since hit level 75 on their jobs of choice. It's very rare these days to find someone who plays a mage job that honestly enjoys doing so.

Icemage

Comment

preaching, choir, etc.

Comment

It seems that on lower lvl parties, parties gladly accept plds, or seek only them. I noticed as I progressed on my pld (62 atm) The invites have slowed down massivly, they would just overflow when I would get on pld at lower lvls, even without seeking. As I got higher, it seems parties with plds "take to long" to kill, so they perfer more of a melee tank, like nin or something. People are lazy, to put it short.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                    Or they levelled RDM/WHM like me. :p But point still stands.

To be truthful, most of the "pure mage" players have long since hit level 75 on their jobs of choice. It's very rare these days to find someone who plays a mage job that honestly enjoys doing so.

Icemage
                    I'd agree with that in terms of XP. For most events I would prefer to come as RDM just for the level of control and versatility, but I can't friggin stand using it in merits anymore, I almost only party on COR now, and sometimes BRD just to do something different.
                    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

I haven't taken to other mage jobs quite like I have SCH, for whatever reason, I feel like I can tolerate healing people on it. People taking damage is just something I accept as part of the game. Its not your real blood you're losing, you're not really going to die. If you do die, you lose some EXP, big whoop.

People cry so much over losing a tiny 500 or 1.5k EXP its just sad. Shit, try levelling COR and RNG where you pay about 500 gil a fight and dying there. Or Beastmaster, ever really try to solo your levels - and by that, I mean BEYOND sub level?

If you want to sit here and insist to me NIN or PLD/NIN is better than straight blood tanking, I might give you that, in a merit PT, that may be the case. Its not the best way for all situations, though. /WAR helps with enmity generation, it cannot be denied. Generating enmity is part of the point to tanking.

Really, if you pick up a mage job and talk about "MP Sponges" all the time, we kinda just get you were in it for the merits and nothing else, we know you're the guy who will put WHM on your HNMLS application and show up THF or PUP. Or maybe they're just out to get any endgame gear they could because they couldn't hack it at a melee job.

If Selphiie had bad gear for a PLD in Dynamis, the bickering would perhaps be understandable, but I know her to keep respectable PLD gear and generally takes damage well.

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                        I Paladins. As any kind of mage, at any level. I'm sorry you've had to deal with those who don't.
                        That was me before I left the game. I preferred a Paladin to a Ninja any day. I had nothing but love for Paladins.
                        "If you keep me waiting much longer, it damn well better be the end of the Galaxy." ~ Kaidan

~There's gonna come a day, and I can't wait to see your face...~

Comment

Where are the real mages, the mages that actually find a thrill in doing what they do instead of just having the job because of invites. where did THOSE mages go?
                          As a lvl 45 rdm/blm, who repeatedly stated in party chat that I am coming rdm/blm.... I got sick and tired of people asking me for Haste, Erase, Poisona (and the Poisona was when we had a whm too....) and other spells I don't have..... Constantly asking for Refresh after I give it to the person... I got fed up with it. I like playing mage jobs, but I darn well expect the other players to notice that yes in fact I did stick you with Refresh, you can stop spamming you OMG Refresh macro. Tired of obscenities thrown at me when I point out that a lvl 45 rdm does not have access to Haste, tired of the fact that the whm always liked to leave me with Poisona duties and go nuke with Banish when I am enfeebling, MBing on the SC, and doing about 40% of the healing, oh, and the fact that I'm like, rdm/blm and can't Poisona people, which the party darn well knew at the start. I don't mind a whm tossing out nukes, but not to the detriment of their main job as party healer.

I started out liking Rdm quite a bit actually, got burned out by the parties I was in though, I couldn't stand the people in them.

On the one hand I really wanna level Whm at some point, on the other hand I really don't want to. Whm is one of those jobs where I'm completely psyched up about the merited abilities you can gain and I'd want to merit most/all of them. I will however be meriting my Drg abilities, and won't really have any merits to spare for Whm abilities, so I'll hold off on taking whm beyond 37 for the time being.

But yeah, first part of my post is probably the main reason why I don't play whm or rdm anymore, despite initially enjoying them. Whm isn't as bad as Rdm normally, but still, since I did alot of backup curing as Rdm, my dislike of Rdm kind of carried over into Whm.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

99% truth

On the opposite end of the spectrum is me. I have incredibly low standards and will accept anything that Provokes as a tank. No Refresh, no problem. The more of a struggle it is to keep the party alive, the more fun I'm having. If the exp/hour is positive, that's awesome!

Bring me your noobs, your gimps, your ill-prepared masses yearning to leech exp. Send these, the skill-less, perpetually-lost to me, I lift my Pilgrim's Wand beside Banishing Gate #1!

Comment

I Paladins as tanks. As a Bard, I static'd with one from 55-75, and wouldn't have it any different. As a White Mage, I love knowing that so long as I don't become a cure bomb/flashing fool, it is likely I will never get smacked around by the mob. This makes me happy. Better one tank getting hate, than having to worry about the NIN, the WAR backup tanking, and the occasional hate from the DRK. Which really isn't even the point, as I'm not a PLD only kind of person, but I find it funny that people nowadays actually expect the PLD to mimic a NIN or other tank in damage taken.

I think people have become a little more concerned with the 'easiest' way through ffxi, as opposed to playing the game for what it really is.
                              Originally Posted by Neosutra
                              Jesus Christ guys, no one will get banned from this Salvage dupe. It isnt trackable, it isnt traceable, and you dont alter any game mechanics to do it. Anyone thinking people will get banned is a fucking moron.
                              Bard 75 ~ Bard Relic: 4/5 ~ Windy Rank 10

Comment

Working...
                              X