did i make good job choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did i make good job choice?

I'm guy who likes to tank in games but i also like using magic. So i tried red mage and only got to lvl2 before i got bored then switched to Warrior. Warrior is fun and I got to lvl 7 with it and i'm still playing but i really wanna get the most out of the game. Which job do you think is the best and if i'm ok then can u tell me how long do i have to play to get support job.

Re: did i make good job choice?

Well, what kind of magic do you like to do?

For tanks:
    Ninja has their own class of magic, which is fairly powerful when used properly. This does get very expensive however as you pay in items, not MP, to cast.

Paladin uses white magic, which is mostly healing or protecting. This is a fairly cheap class, since most people play ninja now.

Both of these classes will need you to sub Warrior to tank.

Blue Mage can also tank, but it's more difficult, possibly less effective, and will require /NIN

Comment

I like black magic but not enough to sacrifice items

Comment

Originally posted by ZoroXDX
        ...can u tell me how long do i have to play to get support job.
        You have to wait till 18 before you can complete the support job quest. Although, you can obtain the pieces needed for it before then. Additionally, you can't unlock any of the advanced tanking jobs, ie ninja and paladin, until you're 30th. Ninja in itself is harder to unlock as it involves building fame and killing monsters you will need help with to beat at 30.

Comment

It really all depends you what you all looking for......I am a Red Mage and yeah it was quite boring at first with only Dia, but now i am lvl 27 Rdm/Blm and love the hell out of it. Rdm starts alittle slow at first until you hit around lvl 10 and get some pretty nifty spells that enhance your attacks like En-Whatever i think you start with enthunder but i can't remeber.

Anyway just play around a bit with all the Jobs that way you have a head start on lvling them when you DO get a subjob.
          I fire up the grill.

Lighter fluid, lighter fluid, lighter fluid.

[GM]Dave>> FIRAGA III!!!

I pretend not to notice Susan shaking her head as I throw the match

Originally posted by Mog
          holy shit, apparently crazy is contageous. I turned his brain into the mind of a bulldog! nOO!!

Comment

thanx guys that helped

Comment

None of the advanced jobs require fame to start their quests, just level 30. NIN scroll quests however, do require fame to start.

The Enspell line starts at 16 with Enstone.

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
              Image by Askannyi
              LoneGamer.net

Comment

Well i think level 2 is a bit too low to be able to qualify a job as boring, you might want to give rdm another shot.
                WAR57 THF43 BRD38 NIN36 MNK32 BST32 RNG31 DRK28 BLU43 WHM23 RDM19 SMN19 BLM18 DRG12 SAM13

Say gay or homo one more time and you're gonna aggro the back of my hand.

Comment

Well i think level 2 is a bit too low to be able to qualify a job as boring, you might want to give rdm another shot.
                  Lol. No, I think he caught the gist of it pretty quickly. You don't become more than a White Mage with Refresh after a certain point anyway. So I'd imagine he'd get bored.

Your best bet is Ninja. It takes a lot of work to start and maintain, but levelling is quick, and once you reach the upper levels, it's a bit easier to make back the gil you burnt on it. The tool you will spend the most gil on is Shihei, as you use them to cast Utsusemi. (Which gives the shadows that makes it possible for you to tank.) After a certain point, the "black magic" Ninjutsu aren't used so much. So that expense sort of dies away. Ninja has a very fast invite rate for pretty much every level range, it just takes a bit of time to work on the gil to play it. It's gear is very expensive, the tools even moreso, but it is used in some of the most crucial fights in the game, thusly it normally makes the most money end-game. After a certain point, you become a tank/damage dealer, since it becomes very hard to hold hate off of well-equipped damage jobs after level 70~. Most of your damage will come from DoT (Damage over time.), which is very effective as Ninja has the highest attack speed in the game.

Paladin is good because it is the low-cost tank. It's not quite as efficient as Ninja, but it can get the job done. White Magic is their key to survival and tanking ability, so they're obviously a tough target to kill. They're used in a lot of crucial end-game fights, and although they can't put out nearly as much damage as a Ninja, they are effective backup healers as well as tanks. They're more versatile than Ninja, and much cheaper, yet they fill roughly the same end-game roles, so they make money about as easily.

Black Mage isn't a tank job, but if you -really- like Black Magic, this is going to be your 100% best bet. It's fairly cheap, has a pretty good invite rate, and is good for almost everything levels 10-75. It makes good money, and at end-game, most of your best gear is Rare/Exclusive, so it's fairly low-cost.

Another option would be Dark Knight. They have the ability to cast Black Magic, and though they cannot tank effectivley, they do formitable damage when you're engaged in longer fights. Due to their semi-uselessness in a lot of experience point party situations, the invites are slow. The gear is so-so cheap, and the job in end-game terms becomes an extra Black Mage. (For Stun.) This job is really a labor of love, in most terms. But if this is what you're looking for, by all means, go for it. =D

Sometimes it's nice to think ahead about this kind of stuff. Especially in a game with such an end-game emphasis.

You should keep levelling Warrior, though. It's good for a sub-job, if you decide later on down the line that you don't like it. You'll need it for Ninja, Dark Knight, or Paladin, so you might as well have it levelled. =D

Comment

The real question is: Why is this even a "choice"? You can switch jobs any time you want - just walk into your mog house and do the Superman phone booth trick and out you go with a new job, different gear, and a whole new outlook on life.

Icemage

Comment

war pwns all jobs, end of story, just because theyre diverse o.o can tank, pull, DD and, in some wierd circumstances, heal <_<...dont ask me how...
                      WAR75/ MNK45/ WHM38/ RDM6/ DRG13/ RNG42/ BLM21/ THF45 /SAM22 /NIN53 /BRD64 /DRK11 /SMN12/BST28/ PLD13/18 BLU/17 COR/1 PUP

"The man all the ladies want."

Comment

ya u picked good war is great fighter and if u like magic for sub-job pick the paladin hes good!

Comment

ninja is the job for you.
                          ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Originally posted by hellspawn
                            ya u picked good war is great fighter and if u like magic for sub-job pick the paladin hes good!
                            WAR/PLD is awful in a party. It's marginally less awful solo, but you can do whatever the hell you want solo. When you're in a party you have five other people counting on you, so it's best to have support job that actually supports your main job.

Don't confuse PLD/WAR with WAR/PLD. PLD/WAR works because the main job has fully-leveled spells, abilities, and MP, while taking support and a couple abilities that are unaffected by level from the half-leveled subjob. WAR/PLD doesn't work for exactly the same reasons: anything marginally useful from /PLD is at half-level, so you have squat for spells and MP, and the stats and traits alone don't add enough to the main.
                            Originally posted by Mog
                            ninja is the job for you.
                            I think he meant he doesn't like black magic enough to burn through items to cast spells. Which would make Ninja not the job for him.
                            Ellipses on Fenrir
                            There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                            . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses
                              I think he meant he doesn't like black magic enough to burn through items to cast spells. Which would make Ninja not the job for him.
                              Well, ninja is the job that most closely fits his description of what he wants. He wants to cast battle magic and tank (DRK is out of the question). Sure it's expensive, but it's well worth it in the long run.
                              ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X