This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War/DRG?

Would a WAR/DRG be good for a lvl 30 WAR? At the moment my sub-job is a MNK, so..I'm thinkin between a DRG and a NIN. And if i do become a DRG, is there a lot of money I need to spend on its equipment?

Re: War/DRG?

At 30 MNK, NIN, and THF are your best bets for subjobs. The only thing you get from /DRG is a small accuracy bonus. This is greatly outweighed by the added dmg of /MNK, the increased tankability and tp gain of /NIN, and the good dmg from Sneak Attack + Sturmwind of /THF.
    I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

/DRG is a surprisingly good subjob for warriors before level 30 (emphasis on the level range). Jump does extra damage and gives extra TP, and you get the accuracy boost too.

/THF, /NIN, and /MNK are definitely better at 30+, however.

Icemage

Comment

But I heard being a NIN early is hard because you have to spend so much money on its equipment

Comment

nin does have a high upkeep to it. however, as a war you need to be versatile. that's one of the things that make wars so awesome. they can do just about anything melee wise.

i suppose you can eek by at the lower lvls w/o all your subs ready to go, but as you get higher and higher, i asure you that /nin will be asked for 4/5 times. /thf gets some loving too, especially at 71+ when you can stack it with steel cyclone.
          Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
          ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

The accuracy boost you'd get at 60, so you'd be getting jump and an attack bonus from 20-30.
            WAR/DRG from 70-75 would probably work well enough with a Gaxe for the same reason DRK/DRG works, since it affords you better TP growth than /THF, but it's probably a worse deal overall anyways despite the extra +haste you can wear with drg subbed.
            From 20-30 you want to sub rng or drg. At 30, I'd say you sub thf.
            Last edited by SelfdestButton; 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Then what lvl should I stop lvling my MNK until I change to THF at WAR30?

Comment

Level Monk to 15 and leave it there. Level thf to 30 if you like to.. best really would be /ninja. Ninjas equipment isnt really expensive at all, just at level 12 you have to quest for a scroll, which is fairly pricey. When you quest it you can earn it for free, but its a long quest.. takes a while to do. And I wouldnt start it before having Warrior to 30. Most, almost all warriors go War/Nin to level 75. Because of the dual weild ability, which can get you a lot of TP, and War's WS's kick ass.
                http://www.ffxiah.com/player.php?id=953347

War75 Thf75 Pld75 Sam75 Mnk75 Rdm75 Nin75 Bard 75

Comment

war/nin is a bandwagon... used in every situation even when it's far from appropriate.

Setup with a war/nin goes... Utsusemi, Berserk, DoT, WS, DoT, fight's over. The premise is that dual wield enhances your DoT and TP growth, and blinks will mitigate the damage you get from hate garnered from all that 1337 damage you're doing...
                  Well, the former advantage is arguable. DWI is a pretty neglegible haste coefficent to work with (something like 5%) put over two axe swings, which won't have offhand bonuses worth having till Viking axes at 52. Your Delay is not going to be going faster in any meaningful sense, and damage to delay ratios typically work in favor of higher delay weapons. It's very likely you'd do more DoT with the slowest and strongest axe you can find. Statistically your TP's gonna be faster with /NIN but once again, not in any meaningful sense until later on.
                  As for 1337 damage... Sturmwind is better than everything up until Rampage, considering that you can SA those Gaxe weapon skills, a faculty you don't necessarily have with an axe in your main hand.
                  Blinking to save your HP is silly, too. If you're pulling hate off a tank incessantly, it means the mob is really weak and isn't going to hit you hard. The sort of mobs you want to avoid taking damage from are the mobs you won't be hitting hard enough to pull hate off your tank.

Of course this changes, mind. There's probably no better WS burn job than a WAR/NIN and you'd be stupid to use a GAXE in those settings at 70+ because DW coefficients are substantial, offhand bonuses are worth having, and rampage is the multihit with the highest damage potential WARs have in their reportoire. Still, people go from 30-55 with /nin and two axes as if they think they already have rampage in the bag. That's all kinds of stupid; I cringe when I see schmoe wars doing raging axes for 150 when they could be doing SA sturmwinds for 300, while I level subjob #23145.
                  /nin should be leveled because eventually it will be the best sub for you to use. Eventually isn't now though, so level thf and mnk and scoff at those bandwagon war/nins.

Comment

Gaxe = Great Axe

Comment

I love SelfDestButton.
                      "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

To everyone saying "Level mnk to 15 and leave it there" or anyone that has that mentality.. you're obviously not too bright when it comes to warriors and their subjobs.

Monk is probably the best tanking sub for warrior pre-74. You get many abilities that bring in hate, you've got counter, which helps with hate. You've got about 200 more HP than /nin.

Personally, I'm one of the few to tank with WAR/MNK to 70+ (I stopped at 73). I was also the first NA on Midgardsormr to do so. So to sit here and tell people /mnk isn't worth leveling past 15... it's just pure ignorance.

WAR/DRG also works surprisingly well. Like people stated earlier, you get the TP from jumps, the added damage. I actually subbed it in an EXP PT the other day just for fun, and my jumps did 3-400 a few times. plus the TP gain. You get 30 TP from both jumps together (with barone pants).

In my opinion as a Warrior who HAS leveled all subs, who has played with all subs. Your best bet is /MNK or THF. Sturmwind is the best WS you have until 55, and one of the best period in that level range. To those of you that think /nin owns. Pre-74, 'fraid not. You really think 3 shadows will save you from mobs that have double/triple attack? Which most do at 50+.

Comment

No one says it's worthless to stop leveling Mnk at 15.
                          Besides, I rather have a Paladin or Ninja tank. But yea.. youre a good tank.. wont doubt it...

Comment

/drg can work very effectively when you toss in the wyvern earring (rare to come by but dirt cheap and can't argue with 5% haste) and the free hit's worth of tp every minute (1.5 minute x2 and a 3 minute x1 averaging out to 1 hit/min) and some guy got trashed on KI for doing the math and finding how a war/drg with ridill could likely outdamage a war/nin with said exclusive weapon. Of course, war/nin gets enough hate, why would you want even more hate and lose your protection? As for me, i don't think it's worth it 'til 70 with the introduction of high jump. Well, it may be good in 60s with RR since SA doesn't stack with it super hot.

For up and coming warriors though, please don't even try war/drg unless you're a stat maxer who's done the math and the research. Not only is it hard to pull off right, it's hard to get into parties with it.

For monk sub, I always say take it to 25 because there's no substitute before then. Ideally, you'd take it up to 37 (like me!) and find situations for using it but I'm not gonna overwhelm newer warriors with that. I've always been a war/mnk fan. It's just fun. But it really has lost its luster to an exp party (and i flee too much to sub anything other than thf for events). Given a really talented crew, it works. but then, a talented crew makes war/nin work and war/nin kills faster.

So what's that all mean? Who cares, level thf.
                            "And if he left off dreaming about you, where do you suppose you'd be?"

Comment

Level Monk to 15 and leave it there. Level thf to 30 if you like to.. best really would be /ninja. Ninjas equipment isnt really expensive at all, just at level 12 you have to quest for a scroll, which is fairly pricey. When you quest it you can earn it for free, but its a long quest.. takes a while to do. And I wouldnt start it before having Warrior to 30. Most, almost all warriors go War/Nin to level 75. Because of the dual weild ability, which can get you a lot of TP, and War's WS's kick ass.
                              My IQ just dropped 5 points. And I didn't think it was possible for it to drop any lower..
                              Thank you.
                              Besides, I rather have a Paladin or Ninja tank. But yea.. youre a good tank.. wont doubt it...
                              Hahaha, are you trying to say PLD and NIN outshine WAR in tanking? You obviously have never witnessed a half-decent WAR tank. Thanks for the laughs.

/DRG is a perfectly acceptable subjob pre-30 for the ACC boost, though people are not really familiar with the combo yet. /MNK is also good at these levels. At 30, you should go with /MNK or /THF, but also have /NIN available. /NIN has fast invites, but the only worthwhile advantage is Utsusemi (WAR/NIN is arguably the best tank pre-37). /MNK is still great for tanking.

/THF is an excellent DD, and will outparse /NIN 99% of the time if you are playing it right. You can get some pretty high numbers with SA Sturmwind.
                              At 48-50, /NIN will start to become more powerful. Dual Wield II and the option to dual wield Viking Axes (+10 ACC) make it a powerful combo. And it will continue to become more powerful. Sub whatever you want at this point, but make sure you keep /THF, /NIN, and /MNK leveled.

At 60, WAR will have access to Raging Rush (and by this time, you will have also had access to Rampage). /THF starts to pick up here for awhile. Also, /SAM is acceptable at this point. So, you could give that a shot. /THF and /NIN are both acceptable. /SAM too, but generally /THF and /NIN are a better idea.

But eventually, WAR/NIN will start to blow /THF out of the water in exp. It will become the obvious choice at some point, especially with Utsusemi Ni at 74. But even at this point, all subs have a use. You will want to have them at some point.

Always keep multiple weapons capped (preferrably sword, axe, and Great axe, anything else is really up to you), and have multiple subjobs leveled, so you can be ready for any situation. Warrior is the king of versatility, make sure it stays that way, and show people why it is the king of versatility.

Good luck.
                              Last edited by SomeoneTookTheNameCetra; 12-12-2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X