Can I level SMN without some stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I level SMN without some stuff?

I'm really interested in leveling SMN as I'm looking for a new job. It's a perfect mix of DD and Magic, IMO, and also just looks plain awesome. But I have some concerns before I delve too deep into it.

My highest job atm is SAM at 39. I have *no* equip for it. I plan on getting WHM to ~37-40, but I might level it at the same time as SMN to save space/money. So this means, Im basically screwed as far as Prime fights are concerned. Same with Carby's Mitts, but I *could* get them. How many higher-leveled people should be able to get them for me? And is it ok if I get my avatars at 20, then Fenrir+Diabolos later? Maybe ~40.

Re: Can I level SMN without some stuff?

Fenrir and Diabolos really aren't expected of you until you're a little higher level. Diabolos especially is pretty much a luxury. You'll pretty much only use Carby until lv20ish, and from there you can do the Minibattles for the other avatars.

Don't worry too much about Fenrir and Diabolos until you can do the fights. As long as you're a good player, you can more than make up for them, and they're rarely a necessity like the others are, if ever.
    PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
    Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
    WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
    Currently Playing:
    FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Hmm. Isn't Fenrir's Ecliptic Howl (Lv.54) in high demand?

Edit:
      Nermind; I see the OP is planning on getting Fenrir around Lv.40-ish. Sounds good.

What I think of SMN
      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Lunar Cry's essentially the only thing he's good for until then, and it's not even that necessary.
        PSN ID - PaiPai Gamertag - PaiPaiMaster Steam ID: Pai Pai Master
        Rockman - Fairy

WAR75/SMN75/PLD68/NIN37/THF37/SAM37/WHM41
        WIN8-1/ZM (Clear)/PM (Clear)/AM (Clear)/WotG3/ACP1
        Currently Playing:
        FINAL FANTASY XIII, Starcraft 2 Beta

Comment

Your question about the avatars has been answered, so I'll address the one about how many higher level people could get carbuncle mitts for you.

To let you know, carbuncle mitts are not a "requirement" for leveling SMN, but they're extremely nice for soloing, and they're helpful for various other reasons as well. Once you have them, you will use them forever.

Depending on the jobs you're able to get to help you, I would say that you could probably take out the carbuncle mitts NM with as few as 2 level 75 players. To be safe, you might want to consider bringing 3-4 if you can round up enough helpers. My suggestion would be NIN RDM BRD and a random DD. That setup can actually take out almost ANY NM in the game that doesn't require a full alliance... lol.
          召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
          San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

Also to answer your question about equipment. You really need MP+ gear. Its a plus having the extra mp at low levels because your always the main healer in most pts. Well to be honest your always the main healer 90% of the time. lol Plus having your WHM sub leveled is a must.
            If beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.....than what is truth?

Sig under construction.

Comment

the carbuncle mitts fight i did with 2 SMN 1 RDM (me) 1 WHM the WHM just stood there watching i meleeed and the SMN pets did most the damage and all the tanking so 2 lvl 75 SMN is all you really need
              "Death shall seek you out, If death fails, I promise you, i wont." ~ Srxjo (me)
              "My lips are stained scarlet red from my blood" ~Srxjo (me)
              "The greatest pain in this world is losing that which is closest to ones own heart" ~Srxjo (me)

Comment

Also to answer your question about equipment. You really need MP+ gear. Its a plus having the extra mp at low levels because your always the main healer in most pts. Well to be honest your always the main healer 90% of the time. lol Plus having your WHM sub leveled is a must.

healing mp gear is more important if you have a choice in a particular slot/food, but otherwise yes +MP is much more important than say MND or INT.

It's a perfect mix of DD and Magic, IMO

That would be BLU, actually. Sorry to burst your bubble but for a good while SMN is basically WHM v.2 in EXP parties. You don't get the really good DD BP's until late game (Meteor in the late 50's I believe, 65 for Fenrir's and 70 for the celestials)

Even so, I hope you enjoy the job ^^
                sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarkyzidez View Post
                  I'm really interested in leveling SMN as I'm looking for a new job. It's a perfect mix of DD and Magic, IMO, and also just looks plain awesome. But I have some concerns before I delve too deep into it.
                  My highest job atm is SAM at 39. I have *no* equip for it. I plan on getting WHM to ~37-40, but I might level it at the same time as SMN to save space/money. So this means, Im basically screwed as far as Prime fights are concerned. Same with Carby's Mitts, but I *could* get them. How many higher-leveled people should be able to get them for me? And is it ok if I get my avatars at 20, then Fenrir+Diabolos later? Maybe ~40.
                  It's not a question of whether you can or not; if you think that way you'll end up being an elitist.

You can do many prime fights at level 20. Don't worry about having Fenrir or Diabolos at all; contrary to popular belief, they're not necessary...they're just good to have around.

Much of the summoner equipment that you hear people mentioning or see people wearing alot? Usually just major conveniences. An Austere Robe is pretty much a must, and elemental staves are definitely something you'll be needing (lower perpetuation costs are almost vital). Carbuncle mitts are so hard to get you shouldn't even worry about getting them unless you've got tons of friends to help (and money too - you'll want to reset your tonberry hate before during and possibly after, trust me!).

Summoner is a VERY versatile job, but don't get me wrong - the actual summoner is not useful for much more than some form of mage. For damage dealing and things like that you'll be relying on your avatars (that's kind of why it's called the SUMMONER job, after all...)

Beyond that, what gear you should get depends on your race. If you're a tarutaru, don't fret about not having enough MP - you get plenty of it naturally. If you're Elvaan like I am, you'll need some serious MP uppage. Don't explode over trying to get two astral rings and an astral earring and a (inserthighpricedmpitemhere). Those are luxury items; I've done a swell job as a summoner leveling without them.
                  Last edited by Eiyoko; 06-22-2007, 09:17 PM.

Comment

One point to note is that the Carbuncle Mitt NM is in a very dangerous area for anyone below level 72, and the fight itself is hazardous for lower level players. Otherwise he's not too bad if everyone present is level 75.

Bringing lower level players (anyone sub-65) is not a very smart move IMO, as they'll be taking a serious beating from Searing Light and drain your healing resources if you try to keep them alive, so do your best to recruit level 75 players if at all possible.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                      One point to note is that the Carbuncle Mitt NM is in a very dangerous area for anyone below level 72, and the fight itself is hazardous for lower level players. Otherwise he's not too bad if everyone present is level 75.
                      Bringing lower level players (anyone sub-65) is not a very smart move IMO, as they'll be taking a serious beating from Searing Light and drain your healing resources if you try to keep them alive, so do your best to recruit level 75 players if at all possible.
                      Icemage
                      I beg to differ.

Slightly, anyway.

The recommended level of people helping varies with their job class. If mages stay out of the way, they shouldn't have much of a problem with AoE (I've met far too many mages that don't know what "keeping your distance" is -.-). Carbuncle tends to appear and disappear before you have a chance to act on him - in my experience anyway - so I wouldn't bother trying to stop him.

You might want to lower your Tonberry hate before that NM fight. Everyone's Rancor usually hurts.

Comment

ummmm I did this fight at lvl 43whm with a 75 blu 70 blm 60 sam 65 blm and 70 pld I did die but rr saved me at end of fight ... we did it 4 times and i only died twice so its not
                        to bad

Comment

Originally posted by mimeme View Post
                          ummmm I did this fight at lvl 43whm with a 75 blu 70 blm 60 sam 65 blm and 70 pld I did die but rr saved me at end of fight ... we did it 4 times and i only died twice so its not
                          to bad
                          The prosecution rests, Your Honor.

Icemage

Comment

Just remember, you WILL need WHM as a sub for SMN, and really, you'll need BLM as a sub for WHM (SMN doesn't add anything but pure MP until WHM50 when you get auto-refresh). Also, expect to solo to SMN22, though getting a PT is possible - you really need Cure II to be effective as main heal.

Comment

Working...
                            X