Isn't cool when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't cool when...

... you've unlocked all the avatars using one of your higher lvl jobs and can summon all avatars when your SMN is still lvl 1.

As of right now I have unlocked both Garuda and Shiva with my MNK and my LS is planning on helping me complete the rest of my prime fights (all except Diabolos, since I haven't started CoP yet).

Has anyone done this, or seen a lvl 1 SMN summon Fenrir/Diabolos and destroy tons of low lvl mobs with ease? I'm planning on doing this and wanted to see if anyone else did this, or should I not even bother since I will probably just use Carby till lvl 20 anyway?

Re: Isn't cool when...

Now, I would guess it's stranger to have a SMN who doesn't have them all at very low level. Most of the playerbase has a job high enough to be useful in the Prime Avatar battles.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

I didn't have them until I was level 20. =P And on low levels, the Celestial Avatars will suck your MP so fast it's not worth it. Besides, with just Carbuncle and some Juices, I was constantly getting chain 2s and 3s on EM-T mobs.

I can't comment on levels 10-20, the Celestials might be useful then. Probably not much though, since it's very hard to get any kinda of skillchain in those levels. New players haven't learned yet and old players think it's a waste of time. Anyway, that's a topic for another discussion.
      I crush up my pills and snort them like dust. They are my sugar. They are the sweetness in the days that have none. They drip through me like tupelo honey. Then they are gone. Then I need more. I always need more.

Sig thanks to Aksannyi of Dreams In Vana'diel

Comment

the most you will use at lower levels is carbuncle and fenrir. You will use the celestial avatars though if you're in a party at low levels making a skillchain or magic bursting.

Comment

I went to level 20 with only carby and a few spirits which I never use except for raising summoning skill in between parties. At 20 I did the avatar fights untill I had all the soloable ones. I didn't start using much other than carby until the 1st jungle when abilities start apearing Garuda Arial Armor, Carby Shining Ruby.

Normally you'll be asked to main heal and have trouble getting away with summoning for a little bloodpact damage even when using Yagado drinks and dismissing right after the blood pact. Once you start getting the area effect buffs it gets beter. I don't have Fenrir or Diablos yet and I'm 29th level sum currently.
          If you can I'ld sugest getting the avatars so that you have them since you have to hunt them sooner or later anyway.

Comment

Ramuh pwnz Crabs.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
            SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

It's to the point these days that all SMNs have all of the original Avatar Primes and usually Fenrir. It's Diabolos that's the elusive one. There are Lv.75 SMNs that don't have him yet.

I've decided that I won't level SMN at all until I have all of them. So all I need is Diabolos and I'll be able to level SMN. ^^
              Odude
              PS2 Beta tester - Cactaur - Rank 4
              RDM32 - BLM17 - DRK11 - RNG11 - BRD9 - BST7 - WAR6 - MNK4

Lakshmi: Windurst Rank 10 - Zilart, CoP, ToAU COMPLETE - WotG
              SAM90 - DRK90 - MNK90 - WAR90 - RNG90 - BST90 - RDM83 - NIN50 - THF46 - DRG42 - BLM40 - PUP23 - WHM20 - PLD13 - BRD13 - BLU10 - SCH10 - DNC7 - COR5 - SMN1

Comment

I want to raise SMN eventually. I plan to get Fenrir and Diabolos done before I do it though.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

It's to the point these days that all SMNs have all of the original Avatar Primes and usually Fenrir. It's Diabolos that's the elusive one. There are Lv.75 SMNs that don't have him yet.

I've decided that I won't level SMN at all until I have all of them. So all I need is Diabolos and I'll be able to level SMN. ^^
                  level it now anyway. Diabolos is a waste of time and nobody will ever ask for you to use anything that pertains to him for many levels. He's nice to have for some things, but his cost is high and he;s nowhere near as valuable as the other avatars for support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryouken View Post
                    .Has anyone done this, or seen a lvl 1 SMN summon Fenrir/Diabolos and destroy tons of low lvl mobs with ease? I'm planning on doing this and wanted to see if anyone else did this, or should I not even bother since I will probably just use Carby till lvl 20 anyway?
                    The avatar's strength is determined by the summoner's level. So, Fenrir at level 1 won't be any more useful than Carbuncle. Actually, Carbuncle is even more useful at low level.... because it costs less MP to keep him out, and he gets some low level bloodpacts to use too, like the Poison Nails.
                    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

When I originally raised SMN into the 30's (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and you had to walk through the snow to get to the camp spot... uphill, both ways) it was prior to the level 20 mini-battles being released. So basically, people who wanted to raise SMN would either raise WHM up to around level 60 to get the primes, or they'd just flat-out raise SMN with carbuncle only and take it well into the 40's that way before realizing that they were missing a lot of useful tools.

However, I already had a level 70 RDM at the time and had already unlocked all of the standard prime avatars. Fenrir was brand new at the time, and since I didn't think I was ever going to raise SMN beyond the "novelty alternate SJ" level, I didn't bother with getting him. Diabolos didn't exist yet.

I must say, it was an experience. Yes, I did primarily use carbuncle at low levels, simply because the others drained so much MP and didn't offer much at those levels anyway. But every once in awhile, often at the urging of my PT (I raised SMN from 10-37 in a "subjob static" with some friends of mine at the time), I'd pull out one of the primes.

Now remember what I said, this was at a time when SMNs were known to level into the 40's and 50's with only Carbuncle. This was when there were precious few NA players who had jobs over 60. I myself had started the game several months prior to the NA release on the JP version, which was why I had a high level job.

Bearing all this in mind... Imagine what a show-stopper it was to see somebody summon Shiva or Leviathan in Valkurm. Generally speaking, I'd immediately get spammed with about 10 /checks and a lot of neighboring PTs would often stop what they were doing to stare or even gather around.

Yeah, it was definately an experience. Not one I'd necessarily care to repeat. Generally I prefer to blend into the shadows rather than being noticed. But at the time, it was fun. ^^
                      召75|吟75|黒75|赤75|戦72|白60|獣40|忍37| 暗37|シ37|ナ32|侍30|モ30|竜21|青14||か8| 狩7|コ7
                      San D'oria: Rank 10 | Windurst: Rank 10 | Bastok: Rank 10 | Cooking: 97 | Zilart - Completed | CoP - Completed

Comment

lol you really dated yourself. I remember playing smn back when seeing Ancient magic and avatars made people stare in awe and examine you multiple times. My parties loved me even back then though if for nothing else than i could get my air spirit to cast tornado on those annoying anticans. The game has changed a lot since then. The more avatars you have, then the better off you are, but if you're not magic bursting skillchains in Valkurm, then this only applies after level 20. Thunderspark isn't until 19 anyway.

Comment

Well I managed to get all 6 of the Celestial Avatars (Ifrit, Shiva, Titan, etc...) and went out to West Ronfaure to lvl up my Summoning Magic. After 1 round of summoning nothing but Carbuncle, I decided to check out my new avatars.

So after I healed I threw out Ifrit, then Titan, Leviathan, and Ramuh. When I went back to rest up my MP I got an applaude from a group of newbies and 3 /tells asking me to do it again.

I gotta say, it was pretty cool (and I got my summon magic up as an extra bonus), I mean I can only imagine what it will be like when I get Fenrir and Diabolos.

I think I'm gonna wait till I get them before seriously lvling SMN, as of now it's at lvl 4 (took me less than an hour with my trusty Carbuncle).

Anyways, I think I just found my new main job after I finish MNK

Comment

Carbuncle and Fenrir cost the same amount till around lvl 8 or so.
                            Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                            Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                            Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                            Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                            Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

Ryouken, remember this: Fenrir/Diabolos (in fact, all avatars at low levels) cost a buttload of the MP you have at that level. I remember when I first unlocked SMN, I was so happy about being able to have little carby at my side...turns out I had to heal after nearly every battle because he sucked it all up so quickly. I meleed my way through the first five levels, honestly. I had a few of the avatars hunted down by level 8, and now I have it at 20 with all but Fenrir, Diabolos, and Leviathan. However, I refuse to level it more until I get Leviathan. If I ever somehow manage to get it to 60, I will get Fenrir and maybe Diabolos.

And, yes, people do allow that. I got the idea from a SMN in a party a while back who said that after she leveled she wouldn't party again until she got Fenrir and Diabolos. I've never seen a SMN get shot because they didn't have Fenrir or Diabolos

Main Job: 70RDM/BLM or WHM ~ Fairy (I hate you, Maat)
                              Currently Leveling: 49WHM/BLM
                              Windurst Rank 10 ~ As of 5/25/07! Woot!

My Fanfiction (please read, or at least skim!)

Susan>> Babies are just like people.
                              Susan>> Just smaller.
                              [GM]Dave>> But I don't like people.
                              [GM]Dave>> I hate people.
                              Susan>> Babies are like small people that can't talk.
                              [GM]Dave>> ...
                              [GM]Dave>> I'm listening.

Comment

Working...
                              X