Advice for a new Samurai please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a new Samurai please?

Hey people. Just recently decided to try Samurai, and at the moment i quite like it. Loving the 2H ability (Cant remember what its called/how to spell it)

I am nearing the level where i will have to party soon in the dunes. Thing is i have herd many Samurais are asked to pull. Now, im ususaly no good at pulling. so i was wondering if anyone can offer some advice/tips on how to be a good puller. Also any good tips for the erly levels of SAM. Thanks in advance!
    "Leo used poop!
    The attack was ineffective!"

Re: Advice for a new Samurai please?

http://ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Samurai

SAM has a pretty decent Bow rating (C+) and you'll want to keep it capped.

Learn your maximum range for pulling and always take shots from there. Be mindful of your surroundings at all times (Links and other mobs who may aggro you) and you should be just fine.
    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Ok then. Heres an example situation. Theres 2 mobs that link next to each other but facing oposite ways. Is it safe to pull in that situation?

PS ive been told i need to memorize or understand the Renkei chart.
      Is there a much simpler one than this? For me i cant understand this one atall.
      "Leo used poop!

Comment

It depends on how the mobs aggro. If they detect by sight, then you're ok to pull (so long as they are facing away). If they detect by sound, then you need to find one not standing by friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Vildar View Post
          Hey people. Just recently decided to try Samurai, and at the moment i quite like it. Loving the 2H ability (Cant remember what its called/how to spell it)
          Meikyo Shisui.

I am nearing the level where i will have to party soon in the dunes. Thing is i have herd many Samurais are asked to pull. Now, im ususaly no good at pulling. so i was wondering if anyone can offer some advice/tips on how to be a good puller.
          Phraust's Pulling Motto.

Don't have to be that extreme, but good words to contemplate about.

Also any good tips for the erly levels of SAM. Thanks in advance!
          SAM/RNG and SAM/DRG are good combinations in the Lv.20's. (I used SAM/BRD, I think, in Valkrum Dunes...)
          Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
          yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
          Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
          leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Although slightly outdated and not as useful for looking up skillchains in a pinch, I find this chart extremely useful for memorizing and visualizing which elements link to which, and how.

Comment

Read that whole thread about pulling... it's like frozen FFXI history. "It is TECHNICALLY possible to chain all the way up to 10, I believe." (Actual quote from the thread)

Some of the principles expressed in the thread are good ones, but others need a little updating.

Anyway, there's no magic bullet to pulling - you have to understand the area, the mobs, how they move, how they aggro/link, and then you have to get a feel for what that party can handle and how fast. It's usually the most challenging role in a party (IMO) and has the biggest effect on the party's success, and it's something you just have to have the experience to do well.

And since your overall goal is to maximize the party's exp per hour, you need to understand the exp system and how chains work, too.

Maximizing exp per hour is not the same thing as maximizing exp per kill. A rough estimate is exp per kill divided by mean time between kills - including rest time and pull time. Except in overcrowded areas pull time should never, ever exceed necessary rest time - having your party stand around waiting for you to find a mob is very inefficient (and this is one of the main reasons to avoid overcrowded areas - you can't avoid no-monster downtime.)
              Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
              RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
              All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Originally posted by Karinya View Post
                Read that whole thread about pulling... it's like frozen FFXI history. "It is TECHNICALLY possible to chain all the way up to 10, I believe." (Actual quote from the thread)
                Yeah, reading the thread was interesting in that regard. Then I read another thread where some folks got Chain #9, and people were like "You're a god!"

><;

Still, good philosophy.

Comment

Just go sam/war and you'll be fine.
                  Macro /shoot <t> with a message /p pulling <t>

Comment

Pulling is just something you get used to over time. Keep at it long enough and you'll get a knack for it in no time.

I remember way back when I absolutely refused to do it. Now I find myself making sure that I can whenever possible in the event that the PT has no puller.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sound:

- Mobs that link by sound will link if they are near one another regardless of how they are facing.

Sight:

- If mob A and mob B are sight linking mobs and are facing each other, they will link.

- If mob A is facing mob B, but mob B is looking away, you can pull mob A without mob B linking, but if you pulled mob B, mob A would link.

General linking behaviors of mobs you might be asked to pull in dunes and qufim:

Lizards - link by sound
                      Goblins - link by sight
                      Crabs - don't link
                      Flies - link by sound
                      Pugils - usually link by sound, but the pugils in Valkurm don't link if I remember right
                      Gigas - link by sight

Comment

First off, thanks for all the information on pulling, i suppose the only way to really learn is to try in a party or something.
                        Secondly, i find all these Skill chain charts very confusing. Even more so with this one. Is it just me having problems with understanding these charts?
                        "Leo used poop!

Comment

It took me a while to get used to most of the fan made charts. Oddly enough, it's the one thing the Brady Games Guide got done 100% right (in terms of the format).

Try using the following two charts. One is more simple than the other, but doesn't include Blood Pacts or Blue Magic.

EDIT: Okay, I can't fit the other one in because it's apparently too big, and I don't have time to shrink it atm >, <
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

I have always had trouble reading the charts. I finally downloaded a Skillchain Calculator plugin for Firefox that I use quite a bit, however it does leave out Blu spells. Here is a website with a calculator that uses blu spells.

http://magitekarmy.com/skillchain.php
                            "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

The Skillchain calculator (by AlexisLucia) I listed in the The EXP Party Index has Blue Magic.
                              Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                              yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                              Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                              leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Working...
                              X