uhggg! SAM/RNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uhggg! SAM/RNG

Hello, ive recently taken up samurai and am really loving it, the TP gain is quite crazy. I just got my SAM to 42, and im hearing many talk about SAM/RNG. It seems like a intresting combo, id of course need a Soboro. But is it necessary. Would i take my SAM to 75, i may invest some time in unlocking rng and lvling it to 37, however, i just dont like the premise of SAM/RNG, i do love /WAR and /THF, and both are over 38 ^^

So im asking is it necessary for /RNG, i believe i am a perfectly fine SAM player, and i dont BS any jobs i lvl seriously, and SAM, im liking a lot more than RDM(which is also 75). Would i get hassled for not having /RNG? thank you for the help ^^

Re: uhggg! SAM/RNG

Don't see why you would. SAM does quite well as SAM/WAR. The love intrest of SAM/RNG is mostly of getting more WSs to not only create SCs with but also Sidewinder's damage output can be pretty impressive.

The SAM/RNG combo basically makes SAMs TP gain ability even stronger. Now not only do you have Meditate giving you a great amount of TP, but you'll also have Barrage giving you nearly 100% or actually getting 100% depending on the bow you have. So now instead of have 1 ability that returns you a lot of TP you'll have 2 abilities doing that along Sidewinder to boot if you can get it's accuracy good enough to benefit you.

Anyway, good SAMs I've seen usually are able to build TP fast enough to be a SC partner to two party members with little trouble. In the higher levels the exp mobs often don't live long enough to make two SCs worth using in a single fight so extending your ability to a potential 3 SCs buddies is kind of useless in an exp situation.

Otherwise if you know situations were being able to fairly quickly SC with 3 people would be a benefit, then that's were SAM/RNG could come in more handy.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

i was also wondering about meat. Right now i have 2 woodsmans rings and eat sole sushi. When would be the best time(if ever) to switch to meat? and if so, what meat would i use? I was thinking Dhamal pie, Sis kababki, or hedgehog pie.
      Any help would be appreciated ^^

Comment

Originally posted by IxX3xil3d0n3XxI View Post
        i was also wondering about meat. Right now i have 2 woodsmans rings and eat sole sushi. When would be the best time(if ever) to switch to meat? and if so, what meat would i use? I was thinking Dhamal pie, Sis kababki, or hedgehog pie.
        Any help would be appreciated ^^
        If you are going to do SAM/RNG then I would see that Sole sushi would be something you would need to land those Barrage attack and Sidewinders better since that improves rng. acc.

If you are going for damage base, then dhamel pies are good till something like low 50s. After that there are foods that have higher cap with lower % that will start to beat it. Of course Red Curry, Dragon Steak, and Dragon Soup is going to give you the absolute best results regardless of level. Of course they are crazy expensive to be wasting on just anything.

One that I know that's better then Dhamel pies would be the Courel Subs, but I only know the foods that give rng. att. benefit along with the att. benefit. Don't know about foods that have att. boosts and no rng. att. boosts, there might be something there that's better.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

Always a good source.

Although it doesn't have sis kebabi yet, which does seem like a good alternative to Couerl Sub, if the sub is too expensive or sold out. Right now, I think Couerl sub are 40k for us on Phoenix, but kebabi is available from NPC for 2k/each. They seem to give the same atk/ratk bonus (20% increase), although kebabi gives one more strength.

Comment

SAM/RNG is a great combo when you're killing anything of a medium strength, but if you try and take on anything hard it doesn't quite cut the mustard. The SAM in my LS decided to take SAM/RNG into Snoll Tzar and the damage output was kinda average. Also even with huge amounts of R. Acc, Sidewinder still can miss a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Feenicks View Post
              SAM/RNG is a great combo when you're killing anything of a medium strength, but if you try and take on anything hard it doesn't quite cut the mustard. The SAM in my LS decided to take SAM/RNG into Snoll Tzar and the damage output was kinda average. Also even with huge amounts of R. Acc, Sidewinder still can miss a lot.
              I cleared Snoll Tzar with a SAM/RNG and he easily outparsed the RNG/NIN in our group. The trick for SAM/RNG is staying alive after landing Sidewinder (Soul Voice Prelude + Soul Voice Minuet). Meikyo Shisui helps them deal stupid amounts of damage as long as they can stay alive.

Icemage

Comment

We had no problems keeping him alive - we had a PLD tank and he just used Invincible at the beginning of the fight. But his Sidewinders were only doing about 300 pts each time on average, which kinda sucked.

Comment

300? What the heck was he using, Wooden Arrows with a Self Bow?

Only thing I can think is that maybe he wasn't standing in the sweet spot - 300 damage is extremely low for a WS with a x5 damage multiplier.

Icemage

Comment

If you wanna see one of the best SAM/RNG's in action go here and download specifically the "Incredibly Tough Samurai" and "SAM solo skillchain tutorial". Delequiox is known as one of the characters across all the servers that perfected the whole SAM/RNG dynamic.

NIN75/RNG75/RDM75
                    SMN66/COR66/WAR55/BRD55/DRK51

Stephen King's Wizard and Glass: Fools are the only folk on earth absolutely guaranteed to get what they deserve.

Comment

whoa, intensity is back?

sidewinders for a sam should range in the 600-700 range, assuming you are using shigeto and decent arrows.

but yea, most sam's are /war or /thf. /rng is just for fun mainly but no one will bust your balls if you dont have it.
                      Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                      ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Been taking up the advantage of flying mobs in Caedarva Mire lately with a SAM/RNG friend of mine. Screen included.
                        Accuracy really goes all over, I can eat sushi and miss a bit. Mainly been eating meat, acc isn't really a problem most of the time... just sometimes I'll get really random miss streaks.
                        Attached Files

It's not the great that are strong.
                        It's the strong that are great.

Comment

In my opinion, you can balance the misses with the damage, and vice versa. An excellent (but fairly pricey) experiment would be to record the damage for someone going for high acc/racc (/RNG sub, sole sushi) and another for raw damage (/WAR or /THF, eating meat of some kind, perhaps Couerl[sp error?] Subs or kebabi). With gear, level and enemy type recorded, we'd surely settle things. I nominate the sagacious Icemage if he has the time.
                          I am proud to bear the distinct honor of being the object of Omgwtfbbqkitten's stalking efforts.

Mithras make me think naughty thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by W.o.t.W. View Post
                            In my opinion, you can balance the misses with the damage, and vice versa. An excellent (but fairly pricey) experiment would be to record the damage for someone going for high acc/racc (/RNG sub, sole sushi) and another for raw damage (/WAR or /THF, eating meat of some kind, perhaps Couerl[sp error?] Subs or kebabi). With gear, level and enemy type recorded, we'd surely settle things. I nominate the sagacious Icemage if he has the time.
                            If I'm understanding you right, you're suggesting have a SAM sub WAR or THF and continue to use a bow?
                            Won't work out well.
                            The main source of damage for a SAM and bow is with /RNG sub, since only using a rng or cor sub gives access to the use of ranged weaponskills. W/o sidewinder, a SAM with a bow is basically gimping themselves. And w/o /RNG you're also losing the two accuracy bonuses that go along with it, which help tremendously in connecting shots.

Not sure why this thread was resurrected, though.
                            I RNG 75 I WAR 37 I NIN 38 I SAM 50 I Woodworking 92+2

PSN: Caspian

Comment

Originally posted by W.o.t.W. View Post
                              If I had Samurai OR Ranger at something over level 1 I might do that As things stand, I only know one person who uses SAM/RNG a lot, and he hasn't been using it much lately.

Maybe I can get him to post his thoughts about what does and doesn't work with SAM/RNG (*kicks Fastcart in the shins*).

Icemage

Comment

Working...
                              X