Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was ranger sub affected with the new patch?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was ranger sub affected with the new patch?

Just wondering, if anyone here sees any downsides or upsides, to the ranger sub while playing SAM. If you do, please post.

Re: How was ranger sub affected with the new patch?

I can't speak from either first hand experience or by watching anyone. But if i Join a PT and see a Samurai standing away from the mob as a SAM/RNG, I'm deffinitely going to have to lecture them.

Comment

Given the reports I've heard from ranger mains, sam/rng is useless except for situations where you *cannot* melee the mob, compared to other subs.

Granted, I personally thought that was the case beforehand but, whatever. At point blank range your damage and racc is going to blow, the only reason to /rng is so when you have tp you can back up and throw a sidewinder for less damage than you'd do prepatch even if you ARE standing in the sweet spot.

Comment

None of my SAM75 friends are using /RNG post-patch. I suppose it might be possible to get TP, step back, use Sidewinder, and step back into range, but I've not heard of anyone trying this yet. Might still be worthwhile, might not.

Icemage

Comment

Pretty much useless in exp parties, should still be useful for other activities which don't require you to stand close to the target.
          Rawr.
          Jobs@75: MNK SAM NIN BLM BRD THF
          LS: EvilDeedsInc

Comment

I don't see a problem with get tp, step back and sidewinder. That's very trainable and part of skillz.

The problem is the acc change. If you're going to wiff side more then you already are (c- for sam) you should go back to old SA+gekko.

Comment

i was wondring about firing a few shots to begin every battle then meeleing till the end. (in exp pties) so i would start the battle in arhery range fire off some arrows then go in for meelee till end is this viable?

Comment

Yeah that's completely 'viable'. It's nice if the shot lands for the extra TP at start, if your arrow debuffs the mob it's nice as well. Problem is this isn't somthing you would want to sub ranger for. Just do it as is without RNG sub.

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage
                  None of my SAM75 friends are using /RNG post-patch. I suppose it might be possible to get TP, step back, use Sidewinder, and step back into range, but I've not heard of anyone trying this yet. Might still be worthwhile, might not.

Icemage
                  *raises hand*

I tried sam/rng with my spt Friday. At point blank range (melee range), my GKT hits for more damage while using Martial Bow+scorpion arrows. I had to redo a few macros that allowed me to run away from the mob after i used meditate and find the range where sidewinder did the most damage (496-530ish). If I tried sw at point blank like I use to, the damage is only 324 or about the same as a regular gkt ws.

The other downsides are that my faithful TP accumulator (barrage) is not as effective and my sidewinder misses even more than it use to now. I was never able to get all the hits on barrage. Usually its 2 or 3 hits now. Also my sidewinder hit to miss ratio is below 50% now. At least against Decorative Weapons.

I went as sam/war yesterday with my spt and fought at the ulli camp. I was doing pre-rng-nerf damage using my gkt at times (not consistent). My spt requested I go back to sam/rng because I missed so much as sam/war. But, the amusing thing is that's the reason I used sam/rng in pts in the first place. Go figure.

So, it looks like I'll be doing a lot of running when I exp now.

Btw, i still think sam/rng is good solo/farming.

Edit: Btw, I don't think sam/rng is viable in bcnms or against Dynamis Lord now. Not like it use to be. Sidewinder misses too much now (without brd) to be used with our 2hr.
                  Last edited by fastcart; 07-25-2005, 04:10 AM.

Title: Sergeant Major
                  SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                  Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                  Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                  Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

Hmm you're only averaging 330 with GKT WS? That's with RNG sub though right?

Comment

Yeah. about that. But, I miss less often due to rng accuracy bonus.

Title: Sergeant Major
                      SAM75, RNG75, PUP75, PLD60, My NPC65
                      Bastok Rank 10, San d'Oria Rank 10, Windurst Rank 10
                      Missions: Completed/Zilart Completed/CoP Completed/ToAU: Playing the Part-Sergeant Major
                      Midgardsormr|Cactuar (MNK51)

Comment

thanks nodachi , but after missing a hell of alo last night i think ill stick with rng sub , My sam low lvl but missing 5 times consecutively with 95% Tp cut me deep

Comment

Why didn't they just nerf the damage and not the racc ? ,_,
                          In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                          And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                          Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                          Yeah, It’s true.
                          It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

Working...
                          X