RDM post 75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDM post 75

I was going through older posts and came across on from 2008 about how SE should make refresh a self-cast spell only (and have available to whm) and have Refresh 2 be able to cast on party member. I agree and disagree with sertain points but thats not the point of this post.

heres the link if you want to read it: http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/red-mage/70710-refresh-ii.html

Anyways, reading this old post (because im bored at work) actually brought up a few questions in my mind and with the new level cap increase, to 80 in June and 99 sometime later, really changes the whole aspect of the game and the Refresh II post sparked some questions. Consperiousy theorys and players wishful thinking of the past is starting to look more like a probability than wishful thinking.

With the 80 cap increase coming in a couple weeks is not going to change too much of how we play the game, for us RDM's at least. Subtle changes will obviously occur with the subjob level increase but will not bring about giant changes. But looking into the potential future I can predict, as i'm sure all players have, HUGE changes in the way players will play their job based role in all types of play. (end-game, solo, xp pts, merit, etc.)

I'm not to conserned with the 80 cap, pretty excited actually, but post 80 kind of scares me a bit. As we all know SE likes to do things thier way and not really take the player base oppinion into account, this coming from a person whos played since the day it came out for PS2 with a couple breaks here and there. SE has done unnumerous changes to the game with out really thinking of the ramifications and this is what concerns me the most about post 80.

For instance the RDM's role in parties of all types post 80, the Refresh II post is what got me thinking and worrying about post 80. Since once players hit 82 any job will get Refresh, if subbed rdm of course. And with BRD and COR having thier versions of refresh on top of any job that subs RDM to get their own personal Refresh, will us RDM's be out of a job unless we get Refresh II?

There is a lot to consider here for post 80 and Refresh (II). There is going to be a larger mana pool for jobs to pull spells from and thus a less need for RDM Refresh, especially at 82+. Yes new spells will cost more and will off-set that a bit but I don't see SE giving BLM, just for example, tierV spells pre 90 with there huge mana costs to off set the need for the BLM to not waist the mp to constantly recast Refresh. Take mana-burn parties for another example, post 82 is RDM needed now that BLM have Refresh and Cure IV?

I could probably come up with another 20 examples for RDM alone and hundreds for other jobs. But I doubt you want to read all my rants on hundreds of examples that are just speculatory anyways

Well looking back at what I just wrote I think I took the long route to get to the main question but I think it'll lead to a good discusion. Anyways I was hoping to see if any other RDM's share my concern about how SE will handle 75+ for RDM and if you have any other concerns, views, speculations on how SE will handle the new post75 era. Because 75+ is pretty much making a whole new FFXI, well thats how i see it anyways.

Well hope to see some good theories and discussions of post 75 for RDM's.

Disclosure: You can obviously apply this to any and all jobs and sub job combinations but I only applied this to RDM becuase its the job I have to most experience in. So I didn't want to go off on stuff about other jobs and sound like a complete n00b but feel free to compare this with other jobs.

Re: RDM post 75

I'm not terribly concerned about what happens to Refresh. It's only mp and there are already plenty of other sources already. What's really got me worried is what they're going to be doing in the way of sorting out the enfeebling spells. We already have a bunch that are unlocked through merits. Are those going to suddenly jump to scrolls post-75? Are we getting any new enfeebling spells? Personally I'm hoping we get Stop at some point. The worst thing they could do to ruin my fun would be to drop the focus on enfeebling in favor of more MP-Battery duty.

Also I'm thinking of investing.
    Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
    Name: Drjones
    Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Originally posted by cidbahamut View Post
      Personally I'm hoping we get Stop at some point.
      Don't get my hopes up like that. Please.

Will say more later maybe.
      Originally posted by Armando
      No one at Square Enix has heard of Occam's Razor.
      Originally posted by Armando
      Nintendo always seems to have a legion of haters at the wings ready to jump in and prop up straw men about hardware and gimmicks and casuals.
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      GOD IS MIFFED AT AMERICA

REPENT SINNERS OR AT LEAST GIVE A NONCOMMITTAL SHRUG

GOD IS AMBIVALENT ABOUT FURRIES

THE END IS COMING ONE OF THESE DAYS WHEN GOD GETS AROUND TO IT
      Originally posted by Taskmage
      However much I am actually smart, I got that way by confronting how stupid I am.
      Matthew 16:15

Comment

i'll have to agree with yellow mage....thats too much to wish for lol even though i would LOVE to have it I dont see it happening...well ok ill say a highly doubtful maybe

Comment

Hmmm... What about AoE enfeebles? Slowga, Paralyzega, blindga and so on?

That might add an interesting new role to redmage in end game with lots of monsters...

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post

That might add an interesting new role to redmage in end game with lots of monsters...
            Not really. Any situation where that would be applicable the response is Sleepga, no? Besides it's not like there's a huge cost or recast on the standard enfeebles, so it's simple enough to slap them on mobs that don't get slept, provided you don't take hate and get yourself eaten in the process.

Comment

plus im thinking if they do deploy ga enfeebs it'll be saed for sch...they already said they aren't going to add JA and only try to add new spells. well maybe not come straight out with slowga, etc. but give sch access to use it like stoneskinga

Comment

Originally posted by Laynton View Post
                plus im thinking if they do deploy ga enfeebs it'll be saed for sch...they already said they aren't going to add JA and only try to add new spells. well maybe not come straight out with slowga, etc. but give sch access to use it like stoneskinga
                When the update comes, they will have stoneskinga anyways. Ascension + the whm ability to give SS to cures, then Cure IV or something.

Comment

ya i dont know much about sch...even though i should since i'm going to have to lvl it some time for sj....so not going to argue on any of those points. SE is vague as always and when they said new spells thats what i was thinking...could be completely wrong who knows? but will be interesting to see what they come up with either way. hopefully its not a completely useless spell like blind II -.- that has always pissed me off.

Comment

Wish they'd just change the way blind spells worked so they'd give a % chance to miss rather than reducing accuracy by a flat number. So useless when fighting a lot of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Takelli View Post

I am pretty sure those will be available /sch, I know hastga and refreshga (AoE Buffs) will be.
                      sigpic

Comment

ya thats what i was trying to get at but Cotners said it much simpler and clearer than i did lol

anyways i was thinking that maybe they could employ some type of a new compose JA that does the same thing for spells used against mobs. Specially with the unknown NMs of lvl 99 that would probably be extremely useful.

Also was thinking of a new DoT spell that effects some type of status similar to bio and dia.

Sap lvl 85 - deals dmg to enemy while healing the caster. 5 hp/tick dmg to mob and 5hp/tick regen effect to caster.
                        Sap II lvl 95 - 8hp/tick dmg 8hp/tick regen

couldnt think of a name but have one simliar to Sap but that drains mp. it since it drains mp it would only work if mob has mp. and prob would have a lower mp/tick rate.

just what i was thinking of during lunch break

Comment

DoT Aspir and Drain...I really like the sound of that.

Comment

of course SE would put a gay restriction to were they dont stay with refresh or regen -.- just thought of that

but ya would be awesome

Comment

No, they'd just give it to Scholar since they've already got the DoT thing going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X