Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Healer

Originally posted by Divinespear View Post

Since I'm going with mostly casters, is there anything to do to limit downtime? It seems like I have to recover every 3 mobs because of mana or is that just one of the things about casters you have to deal with throughout the game.
    What type of food are you using? Some give you more MP and INT, but If your want to have less Down Time, I'd think Wizard Cookies would be more Helpful, I'm sure someone will give a calculated reason why it's better to go one way or the other, i'm just not that into the game mechanics.

also at lvl 10 there is the Pilgram's wand that gives you either +1 or +2 Mhp, and it drops off a fairly easy mob in Windy, and not hunted much. The item is rare/ex.

Comment

Originally posted by Phanex View Post
      What type of food are you using? Some give you more MP and INT, but If your want to have less Down Time, I'd think Wizard Cookies would be more Helpful, I'm sure someone will give a calculated reason why it's better to go one way or the other, i'm just not that into the game mechanics.

also at lvl 10 there is the Pilgram's wand that gives you either +1 or +2 Mhp, and it drops off a fairly easy mob in Windy, and not hunted much. The item is rare/ex.
      no food. no equipment. no gil....

I just came back (i only played for a month or so) and before I left I gave everything I had to a friend.

Currently I'm playing my 18mnk/whm and killing level 5-8 mobs to get some gil so I can buy some armor so I will be able to level the BLM.

I played as BLM/WHM with no gear and that's when I was recovering a lot. I'll look into wizard cookies when I switch back to BLM.

Comment

Ginger cookies are your best friend for this, they add to your MP Recovered While Healing. You will also find gear as you level up that adds more to your MPP (or HMP, whichever you prefer to call it, I hear both often) and it will lessen your downtime but not ever really do away with it completely.

Just pop a cookie before you rest and it will lessen the downtime a bit. You can do a lot with extra max MP gear as well as resting gear, but cookies will be great for you. You can also invest in juices which add Refresh, but they don't stack so they're often cumbersome to carry unless you craft them yourself, and at most, they will give you one more fight before resting.

EDIT: I was beaten, wizard cookies are the HQ of ginger. Either is fine, ginger is, naturally, cheaper.

What server are you on? I'd be willing to help you out a little, get you started, if you're on my server, or if not, there may be someone else on your server who would spot you 1-2k to get you going.
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

There are some foods you can eat and pieces of armor you can switch in that have Healing MP (hMP) bonus. When you get low on mp and need to rest, you can /heal, switch on the hMP gear and watch your mp pool fill up faster. The Trait Clear Mind also helps with this. You can read more detail about this on FFXIclopedia if you do a search for hmp. It will list hmp gear, food, and talk about that Clear Mind trait.

Edit: looks like others had the same idea as me, just typed it faster. ;-)
          "All of the biggest technological inventions created by man - the airplane, the automobile, the computer - says little about his intelligence, but speaks volumes about his laziness." - Mark Kennedy

Comment

"no food. no equipment. no gil...."

I'm not sure wich is cheaper or better for you, Ginger or Wizard, I can't access WIki at work ><, but yeah.

The wand is free, just gotta kill the other birds to get the NM to pop, and I think the Wand is 100%. Plus I've always been told it's better to lvl Mage jobs in WIndy, cause alot of the items that drop there seem to help out mages more../shrugs.

Also like Aksannyi said, juices will help, but you don't have to buy them, you can start to make them yourself once you get your skills high enough. Again, I'm sure there are other sites that can help you learn what to do to get high enough to be able to make cookies and MP drinks. But you won't be able to make them within a week of starting, lol unless your extremely lucky.

Also save ur crystals, the ones you don't need for skilling up, and sale them bad boys, that's how i first started making my gil, they say very well. Plus in windy silk items sale very well too.

Good thing about lvling whm and blm and sch is you can recycle ur equipment while lvling all of them. RDM can't use all of the same equipment, i don't think they can wear see'ers.. that's a bummer.

Comment

It's something you have to deal with ... at least, unless you're a RDM post-41 or SMN or SCH to some extent. In party play, get used to resting as much as possible, and don't jump on every few points of damage when you could use the time for more resting. Besides, if you have a DNC with Drain Samba up, it's sort of nice to have somewhere for drained HP to go...

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                Ginger cookies are your best friend for this, they add to your MP Recovered While Healing. You will also find gear as you level up that adds more to your MPP (or HMP, whichever you prefer to call it, I hear both often) and it will lessen your downtime but not ever really do away with it completely.

Just pop a cookie before you rest and it will lessen the downtime a bit. You can do a lot with extra max MP gear as well as resting gear, but cookies will be great for you. You can also invest in juices which add Refresh, but they don't stack so they're often cumbersome to carry unless you craft them yourself, and at most, they will give you one more fight before resting.

EDIT: I was beaten, wizard cookies are the HQ of ginger. Either is fine, ginger is, naturally, cheaper.

What server are you on? I'd be willing to help you out a little, get you started, if you're on my server, or if not, there may be someone else on your server who would spot you 1-2k to get you going.

Ya I prefer Ginger to Wizard. Ginger a stack is 1k and Wizard is 10k I believe. I NEVER get to sit long enough for my cookie to be totally effective. If I were eating Wizard cookies and wasting that gil I'd be PISSED! At 1k a stack, I can live with it.
                Originally posted by Feba
                But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                Originally posted by Taskmage
                God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                Originally posted by DakAttack
                ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Just having appropriate gear will also help when you get back to being a mage. You'll still have downtime, of course, but you'll be able to kill mobs with fewer spells, and last longer before you need to cure yourself.

As others have said, get a Pilgrim's Wand. Nunyenunc can be kind of annoying to hunt (I've had him pop after killing birds for 15 minutes, and I've had him take several mind-numbingly boring hours), but it's worth it. And Ginger Cookies can be bought from an NPC (whichever nation is first in conquest).

Personally, I'd say you have bigger priorities right now than working on Cooking to make juices (other than maybe Orange Juice since it's such a low level recipe), but if you're going to be focusing on mage jobs your whole career, it's a good investment to make.
                  Ellipses on Fenrir
                  There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
                  . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post

I'm on Leviathan and unfortunatly noone's been as helpful as to spot me a few k gil. I've come across a few 75 characters and they all asked why I was naked and I explained my situation and their response was "go kill stuff as mnk since it's hand-to-hand."

Of coarse I never directly asked for gil. I hate beggers in other games and do my best not to be one in games I play.

I'm currently 18mnk, 14whm, 8blm. I considered re-rolling so I'd at least have some gear but 3 days /played is not easy to give up plus I already have my subjob quest done so I wouldn't have to do that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                      I'm pretty sure DRG is still one of the best all-around solo jobs at any level.
                      Actually as far as DRG/WHM goes, it has been pretty much lapped...

...by DRG/BLU. >.>

You're 100% right though. Granted, it varies from case to case but DRG can pull off some amazing solo stuff. I keep saying I'm going to try an avatar. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ev, I won't get on you like everyone else. Personally, I hate it when people start general 'just starting out' threads. Things like that are well deserved of the 'newbie' thread link. I agree that a ton of info is in there that can prevent a lot of those threads from happening in the first place. I think the issue in this case was that it just didn't really apply well to this thread. If someone was asking which plumber was best, handing them the phone book wouldn't do much to resolve the issue after all. With that said, a lot of the vitriol in this thread was pretty out of hand.
                      I'm on Leviathan and unfortunatly noone's been as helpful as to spot me a few k gil. I've come across a few 75 characters and they all asked why I was naked and I explained my situation and their response was "go kill stuff as mnk since it's hand-to-hand."

Of coarse I never directly asked for gil. I hate beggers in other games and do my best not to be one in games I play.

I'm currently 18mnk, 14whm, 8blm. I considered re-rolling so I'd at least have some gear but 3 days /played is not easy to give up plus I already have my subjob quest done so I wouldn't have to do that again.
                      One positive about Evion's link is there are some awesome gil guides floating around. Never underestimate the power of moat carp.
                      Last edited by eticket109; 10-23-2008, 12:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

Originally posted by eticket109 View Post
                        One positive about Evion's link is there are some awesome gil guides floating around. Never underestimate the power of moat carp.
                        I did see that. And I did read up on the different way to make gil. ATM i'm just farming since as a MNK/WHM I have almost no down time when farming stuff level 7-8 so I can just 2-3 shot everything even naked and keep moving. For my current situation I thought it would be the most profitable.

I would fish but again being broke I have no rod or baite.

Comment

Look for Goblin fisherman mobs. They'll drop rods occasionally. The best early bait is little worms which can be pretty inexpensive as well. Don't worry about the fishing gear til later. I would recommend Sandy as you can sell the carp fastest on the AH there. The overhead/income ratio is pretty amazing for fishing early on.

Wii code: 6851 9579 6989 9039

Comment

There's also an early Sandy quest(which I think is also a prereq for the PLD AF quests) that nets you a free fishing rod, it starts at the little boy on the South end of the fountain in Northern Sandy, I don't remember it by name but if I recall correctly it's a very easy quest that just involves running around town.
                            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

If Sch:
                              Rdm to 37
                              Sch/Whm to 68
                              Sch/Rdm to 75
                              Get Blm to 37 for situational uses at some point, earlier rather than later IMO
                              SCH/BLM comes and goes pre-56. The reason being is that before 30, you have no real incentive to play as or be invited for the main healing position. While you shouldn't be using Cure III as soon as you get it, you're also not getting Cure III as soon as WHM and RDM are. Also, you don't exactly need /WHM for status cures since you start gaining access to most of the important ones from the moment you get Accession: White and obtain the proper -na spells.

So SCH/WHM and SCH/BLM go back and forth between 1 and 56. I was SCH/BLM most of my levels pre-30 and off-and-on from there. I did SCH/WHM for the stretch between 56 and 68 because of the access to Stoneskin that much earlier than I would using /RDM. But once SCH has Gravity, Phalanx, Blink and Stoneskin all in one package from /RDM, there's really no need to ever go back to /WHM or /BLM unless for transportation magic.

Also, Evion, if you want to advertise your thread so badly, put it in your sig. Otherwise, you're crossposting spam and you're not saving the world from newbie questions like you think you are. Newbie questions might bother you, but I doubt the really bother many people here.

Comment

I started out with fishing - parlayed that into cooking and it's now my primary money maker. Yeah, it's kind of a cheese grater to level (lizard eggs ARGH), but once you can start making pies and Yagudo Drinks, it's fairly consistent income. Cookies are ok profit too.
                                sigpic

(\ /)
                                ( . . )
                                C(")(")
                                ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

Working...
                                X