Primary Healer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primary Healer

Evion, nothing in your thread specifically addresses his question unless you were expecting him to search for old RDM guides on FFXIClopedia. In which case, like I've said before, I'd rather have a newbie asking questions because the guides are so old that it's better not running the risk of them getting out of date info.

EDIT: Plus, if you're going to get all snippy every time a newbie claims he couldn't find the answer in your thread, perhaps it's better that you don't post at all, unless you want to scare all the new members away.
    Last edited by Armando; 10-23-2008, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
      the guides are so old that it's better not running the risk of them getting out of date info.
      Aint that the truth. I'm about to the point where I need to do Shattering Stars and there are so many conflicting strats (from 5, 4, 2, years ago +) I'm thinking about the newest Chainspell strat, we'll see.

My experience leveling RDM this year has diverged significantly from a lot of the guides, and with level sync some of those guides are even less relevant.
      sigpic

(\ /)
      ( . . )
      C(")(")
      ...Somebunny loves you....

...That's "Little Washu", Bub....

Comment

RDM probably changes more than any other job, because it's so adaptable, that's why we don't need new shit to keep it interesting.

Maat fight ... hmm ... I did it quite a while ago, but there hasn't been any major changes (that I know of) since then. Cap your elemental magic skill and get an elemental torque, that's the best advice I can give you. Took me 5 tries to kill him on RDM, two of those times were incredible bad luck (Sleep resist, sleep absorbed by Blink). Maat cheats, the sooner you realize that you'll be better off.

End derail ... for now ...

@ OP, if you like to heal, play both! There's fun to be had as a RDM and a WHM.

Based on what I've gleaned from this I think I'll go

BLM/WHM to 15 then
        WHM/BLM to 30 then
        SCH/WHM to 37 then
        WHM/SCH to 75

Kinda sucks to have to re-level after getting to 30 but whatever works.
        Well at the bare minimum you will have to have WHM and SCH to 37+, and probably should have other subs like BLM (useful in some situations, for ES), SMN (again, situational), RDM (rarely, but Phalanx kicks ass), and NIN (for fun!).

WHM is the better healer bar none, but RDM is very versatile and can handle a lot of different situations with ease, which is why people like them. I play both, love them both. =)
        Last edited by Aksannyi; 10-23-2008, 07:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic
        ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
        ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
        ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
        ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
          @ OP, if you like to heal, play both! There's fun to be had as a RDM and a WHM.

Well at the bare minimum you will have to have WHM and SCH to 37+, and probably should have other subs like BLM (useful in some situations, for ES), SMN (again, situational), RDM (rarely, but Phalanx kicks ass), and NIN (for fun!).

WHM is the better healer bar none, but RDM is very versatile and can handle a lot of different situations with ease, which is why people like them. I play both, love them both. =)
          Oh, I plan to play many jobs over my time. I just want to have a goal first (getting 1 job to 75) then I'll start working on more and more jobs.

my name "Divinespear" is because when I first created this character last year my goal was DRG/WHM for uber soloing (which apparently is no longer one of the best soloing classes)

I prefer group play to solo play now though, I was just aiming for that because I didn't know anyone.

My interested job cominations in order from most interested to least:
          WHM/SCH
          RDM/WHM
          SUM/WHM
          MNK/WAR
          DRG/WHM
          NIN/WAR
          PLD/WAR

Comment

No offense dood, but you're starting to become one of my minor annoyances, and as far as forum members go, that's saying an awful lot because I tend to get along with almost everyone.
            He's been one to me ever since he dissed my Weaving guide >.>

And to expand on what 'kitten said:

Rdm/whm is, or was, considered the preferred healer because of Convert and Refresh. This let them stretch out their mp over a longer span of time without needing to rest than a Whm could. Also, most healing is done with Cure 3 and 4, which Rdm do gain access to.

Whm are the better healers, having access to Cure 5, and Regen 2 and 3, native ~na spells, and some other spells. However they just couldn't heal as long as a Rdm could without needing to rest.

Keep in mind, that's all used to be mostly at lvl 70+ for TP burn parties and merits, but those attitudes have been trickling down to lower levels for a little while now.

Another issue with Whm in the lower levels that I ran into alot were power levelers. These are high level mages who take on the curing role for a low level party, and are normally a friend of someone in the party wanting to help them get exp faster by reducing downtime. The problem with that is those parties generally don't want to invite a Whm since the healing is already covered, and so I myself had a hard time making or getting parties in the Valkurm Dunes stage of the game.

As 'kitten said, Sch can main heal the normal way just fine after lvl 30, I'd say pre 30 too, but the lack of Cure 3 after a Whm or Rdm gets it is a bit of a problem. Once they reach I think it's level 68 though, and gain access to Stoneskin and Phalanx with /rdm, they can spam Accession and Stoneskin/Phalanx to greatly reduce the damage that the party takes. It really reduces the damage that people take, and let's the Sch just touch up people's health as needed.

You might want to take a look at Dnc. It's an interesting DD healer/enfeebler that can be really useful. I haven't really partied in awhile so I don't know how the community views them, but I like them alot and I wouldn't hesitate to invite one as a backup/support healer. I don't think I'd invite one to main heal though, although I'm sure they could do it. It seems like the dances really build up quite a bit of enmity, and so that's my only concern with a Dnc main healer.

Blue Mage is not to be discounted as a healer, but I think the other jobs listed above handle it better, and main healing as Blu isn't something you're likely to see that often. People want them more for the damage, and people playing the job are playing it more as a DD, so that's what other people will expect.

Drg can heal as well past level 60, but that ain't gonna happen in a random pickup party and unless you invite 2 Drg/mages, will not work unless on very specific mobs. Even with two you'd want to avoid mobs with high damaging moves like Spiders and Sickle Slash, or Pugils, or Raptors (supposedly). I only mention it because it can heal, but you're more likely to win the lottery and then get hit by lightning three times in the same place than you are to heal as Drg. It's great for small parties though.

Summoners also get stuck in the main healing role, but I've got issues with that and this may turn into a bit of a rant if I go into that subject so I'll let someone else cover that.

I'll first say that you should play whatever sounds fun to you. This is a game, so enjoy it. That being said, if you want to be a primary healer I would look at Sch or Whm. They're the two jobs I'd look into if I was going to go for a main healing job.

Sch has the advantage that it can either nuke or heal depending on which mode you are in, and so you'll be a little more versatile for exp invites. It's also great for buff healing or whatever you want to call the Stoneskin/Phalanx spammage. AoE Regen II is also pretty damn sexy.

Whm is a superb healer, I just don't know what the invite rate is like for them anymore and I don't know if that'll be a problem for you. But regardless, I'll take a Whm main healer over anything else any day of the week. A good Whm is priceless, simply priceless. They may not be the best for some party builds, and those are mostly merits IMO. For myself, anything pre merit (And even merits) I want a Whm. For any BCNM/ENM/mission/HNM/NM fight, I want a Whm. Sch does it a bit differently but they're pretty darn good as well. Between which I like better, I'd probably rate it as 55-45, for Whm and Sch respectively.

As for what combination:

Blm to 18
            Whm/Blm to level 30 or 37
            Unlock Scholar
            Sch/Blm to 37
            Choose between Whm or Sch or pick both

If Whm:
            Whm/Sch to 75

If Sch:
            Rdm to 37
            Sch/Whm to 68
            Sch/Rdm to 75
            Get Blm to 37 for situational uses at some point, earlier rather than later IMO

That's the way I'd go about it.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
              Blm to 18
              Whm/Blm to level 30 or 37
              Unlock Scholar
              Sch/Blm to 37
              Choose between Whm or Sch or pick both

If Whm:
              Whm/Sch to 75

If Sch:
              Rdm to 37
              Sch/Whm to 68
              Sch/Rdm to 75
              Get Blm to 37 for situational uses at some point, earlier rather than later IMO

That's the way I'd go about it.
              Why /BLM if I wana be a healer?

Why not:
              RDM/WHM to 18
              WHM/RDM to 30
              unlock SCH
              SCH/WHM or /RDM to 37
              WHM/SCH to 75

Comment

I'm assuming you mean for leveling your SCH sub? Probably because most parties you'll be in at that level, you won't be asked to main heal due to limited healing spells, so you'll want to sub BLM for additional nuking power. So far as SCH, I've not yet subbed WHM in a party.

WHM/RDM is not a good combination at low levels. Really, it's not useful at endgame either, but it has its own VERY situational uses. A good starting sub combination is WHM/BLM, always has been, and always will be. I still know some 75 WHMs who have only their BLM sub leveled, and they're not considered gimp (even though SCH is so much better). If you fulltime RDM sub on WHM, you will be labeled though. It's just not as good. Only real benefit to RDM sub is a bit more fast cast and Phalanx. That's it. At least with BLM sub you get Elemental Seal, a bunch of spells (Sleep included!) and a decent boost to your base MP.
                sigpic

Comment

Only real benefit to RDM sub is a bit more fast cast and Phalanx. That's it.
                  you are forgetting dispel at LV64. while not needed most of the time being able to sub rdm when you really need dispel and have no other dispeller can be invaluable.

Comment

1. So you're the judge of who is/isn't a noob?

2. Nothing wrong with asking questions, that's what a forum is for, and most of us are trying to be helpful.

3. No offense dood, but you're starting to become one of my minor annoyances.

4. And obviously, your thread isn't the "answer to all noob questions."
                    1. I never called him a noob, but I did his question, and I don't judge. I merely and kindly offered him a good resource and he bitched. Screw him.
                    2. Nothing wrong with that at all and I was trying to be helpful and he bitched. Screw him.
                    3. I send someone a helpful link to resources and that annoys you? Screw you.

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                    1. Evion, nothing in your thread specifically addresses his question.
                    2. Plus, if you're going to get all snippy every time a newbie claims he couldn't find the answer in your thread, perhaps it's better that you don't post at all, unless you want to scare all the new members away.
                    1. I disagree. Answers to any FFXI questions CAN be found somewhere in those links. I never put down any new players for any types of questions, unlike a lot of people on this site. I always try to offer any help in every question post/thread, so maybe it's better if you don't make assumptions about me off a single post.
                    2. I didn't get snippy that he couldn't find the answer. I got pissed that the bastard complained about me giving him helpful resources.

Originally posted by Vyuru View Post
                    1. He's been one to me ever since he dissed my Weaving guide
                    1. Somebody disagrees with your almighty guide and you get bent? Cry me a river.

I'm sincerely offended by all of your posts right now. I'm never belligerent or offensive. I don't attack people or make fun of their knowledge or abilities. I don't pretend to know everything or pretend that I'm better than anyone. I offer a helpful resource to question threads and you all jump on MY back?! WTF? Take a look at yourselves before you spam me with criticism.

Damnit,

Evion
                    Current Server: Asura
                    Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
                    Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
                    Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
                    Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
                    Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Originally posted by Evion View Post
                      1. I never called him a noob, but I did his question, and I don't judge. I merely and kindly offered him a good resource and he bitched. Screw him.
                      2. Nothing wrong with that at all and I was trying to be helpful and he bitched. Screw him.
                      3. I send someone a helpful link to resources and that annoys you? Screw you.

1. I disagree. Answers to any FFXI questions CAN be found somewhere in those links. I never put down any new players for any types of questions, unlike a lot of people on this site. I always try to offer any help in every question post/thread, so maybe it's better if you don't make assumptions about me off a single post.
                      2. I didn't get snippy that he couldn't find the answer. I got pissed that the bastard complained about me giving him helpful resources.

1. Somebody disagrees with your almighty guide and you get bent? Cry me a river.

I'm sincerely offended by all of your posts right now. I'm never belligerent or offensive. I don't attack people or make fun of their knowledge or abilities. I don't pretend to know everything or pretend that I'm better than anyone. I offer a helpful resource to question threads and you all jump on MY back?! WTF? Take a look at yourselves before you spam me with criticism.

Damnit,

Evion
                      Dont try and act like the good guy Evion, people that do that come off as snobs.

You didn't help him at all by just slapping a link up and say "read", especially since your guide is very general and doesnt answer his specific question. Maybe you intentions were good enough, but c'mon, if someone asks you what the meaning of something is, and you hand them an entire volume of encyclodpedias instead of just telling them, doesn't that come off as a little annoying?

Comment

You might want to stand back and ask yourself if it's truly helpful if the people for whom you've posted it found no real help in it.

As it stands right now, your "blanket posting" (love that term btw) of that thread just looks like a way for you to "postcount +1" and pat yourself on the back for being "helpful."

I've seen the guide, it's a nice compilation but it's nowhere a complete place to get answers. The OP responded to your post saying that he didn't find it helpful, and you're the one who got all bent out of shape. The rest of us continued to respond to this thread with helpful advice (save for the few of us who have responded to you) and the OP has gotten his help. No real harm done, except you keep coming in here getting offended.

No one is out to get you, but seriously, if you make something like you did and people tell you it's not helping, don't post it everywhere. Put it in your sig or something and let people click it at their leisure, instead of spamming the forum with it.

Ugh, got interrupted and it broke my train of thought. Bottom line is, you're getting really defensive over something, and it's not necessary.
                        sigpic

Comment

I changed the title of your thread Evion. It was "Answers to some Noob Questions:" and now it is "Answers to some New Player Questions:" The title could be offensive to some people that see the term noob as derogatory. Be careful using that when helping someone.

As for the rest of this, the discussion is about primary healing on Red Mage not whether Evion's link was helpful or not. He thought he was being helpful but the op didn't find the help he needed there. There was a misunderstanding, the op is receiving the help he needs, and ALL IS WELL WITH THE GOD DAMN WORLD OK!?

Let's get over this and move on to the subject of the thread please.
                          Originally posted by Feba
                          But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                          Originally posted by Taskmage
                          God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                          Originally posted by DakAttack
                          ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

my name "Divinespear" is because when I first created this character last year my goal was DRG/WHM for uber soloing (which apparently is no longer one of the best soloing classes)
                            I'm pretty sure DRG is still one of the best all-around solo jobs at any level.

Comment

"BLM/WHM to 15 then
                              WHM/BLM to 30 then
                              SCH/WHM to 37 then
                              WHM/SCH to 75

Kinda sucks to have to re-level after getting to 30 but whatever works."

At least get BLM to 17..I think..for Warp, it's a godsend for some people, save CQ points and Gill for buying warp items...of course you can also death warp a lvl 1. But it's cooler to Warp.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom View Post
                                I changed the title of your thread Evion. It was "Answers to some Noob Questions:" and now it is "Answers to some New Player Questions:" The title could be offensive to some people that see the term noob as derogatory. Be careful using that when helping someone.

As for the rest of this, the discussion is about primary healing on Red Mage not whether Evion's link was helpful or not. He thought he was being helpful but the op didn't find the help he needed there. There was a misunderstanding, the op is receiving the help he needs, and ALL IS WELL WITH THE GOD DAMN WORLD OK!?

Let's get over this and move on to the subject of the thread please.
                                My hero

So BLM to 17 for warp.

Since I'm going with mostly casters, is there anything to do to limit downtime? It seems like I have to recover every 3 mobs because of mana or is that just one of the things about casters you have to deal with throughout the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X