Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pre-50 RDM Gear-Swapping Poll

Originally posted by Esoa View Post
    I thought Gravity reduced the mob's evasion by 10. Isn't that only 10 Accuracy? Where do I find the discussion/testing about the data you provided about Dia/DiaII? How much does Dia II improve actual melee DPS on those mobs?
    Actually.. I could be wrong on the evasion, just seemed to marry up with personal tests.. looking at the wiki, they say it's ten, and relate it to a 5% drop in evasion, however, even if it is *just* 10.. that's still worth using. They also say this needs clarification there, which means they aren't sure.

I was going off of personal experiences of gravity/shield break/feint effects. Which have greatest impact in that order.

With the maths aspect, http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16214 helps. Or you can search around for /check on the wiki, using level correction and the rest as a rule of thumb.

Rdm enfeebling is worth using. ^^

Sabaron's right though - stuff I take for granted I assume everyone else knows immediately. >< It's a bad habit. I'm trying to be better. ^^
    Last edited by Spinnthrift; 12-20-2007, 07:04 AM.

Comment

I thought Gravity reduced the mob's evasion by 10. Isn't that only 10 Accuracy?

People pay good money for 10 Accuracy, sir.

You're silly. ^o^
      There will be cake.

Comment

10 ACC goes for about 30K? (Life Belt)
        Current Server: Asura
        Current Home Nation: Bastok (Rank 10)
        Race/Sex: Elvaan/Male
        Main Job: 75 DRK / 37 SAM,RDM,NIN,WAR,WHM
        Main Craft: 73 Cloth

(Read this at a normal pace...)
        Tihs Msseage Connat Be Raed By Nromal Huamn Biegns. Pelsae Ntoify Yuor Firedns Taht If Tehy Can Raed Tihs, Taht Tehy Aenr't Namrol...Cnovrresly, Atmpetnig To Raed Tihs Msasege At Nmaorl Pcae And Bineg Albe To, Cna't be Namrol Etiehr...If Yor'ue Albe To Raed Tihs, Tehn Mybae Yur'oe Not Nrmaol.

Comment

Scorpion Harness ~200k
          Hakutaku Eye Cluster ~300k
          Peacock Charm ~2M
          lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Mhurron View Post
            Maybe if you actually tried to be a better player you'd see paralyze actually working. The way you play RDM, why are you playing RDM at all? All you are is a WHM with less MP, so why not just play WHM or go all out with the Pink Mage bit and sub SMN like a WHM.

And if you say you enjoy RDM more I'm going to bust out laughing.
            I gear swap to +mnd gear for Paralyze what do you want me to do? Get real please. I played a WHM to 51 and you've got it wrong. WHM is just a RDM without Refresh, lower enfeebling skill, no ability to solo, and worse nuking ability. Sure, they get Raise III but I prefer that no one in my PT dies in the first place or that we get much better XP so even if they do die their xp/hour is better.

Edit: I forgot Convert. LOL @ WHM having more MP.
            ------------------------------------------
            Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
            Scorpion Harness ~200k
            Hakutaku Eye Cluster ~300k
            Peacock Charm ~2M
            They are expensive because they are the best in their slots and rare. People would pay 10 million gil for an item with +1 str if it was the best and ridiculously rare. That doesn't mean a +1 str buff is awesome.
            Originally posted by hongman View Post
            Esoa

Wow. I hope I never have to play with someone that even agrees with HALF of what you say. Ever.

Now I feel better.
            What do comments like these have to do with the discussion? Go yell at your kids or something.
            Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
            If you have 168 mp sitting around doing nothing you should've nuked. Do you see why you fail?

MP savings represent not only a decrease in downtime but also an increase in kill speed and thus exp rate. If all you ever do is speedkill merit parties where you never fight a mob for more than a minute, fine. Enfeebles are useless in that context, but in every other situation in the game they're pure gold.

Enfeebles aren't our &quot;defining role in parties&quot; because the differences are subtle enough over a long period of time that unless you're the tank or the healer you probably won't even notice them. But I'll say it again. Just because other people are ignorant of your job's strengths is no excuse for YOU to be.
            There is an area between "useless" and "golden", and that's where debuffs in most xp PT's lie. There is a HUGE difference between the effect of the debuff and the effect that gear has on it. So if you take a debuff that is mediocre (or even decent) to begin with and increase it's potency by 10%, that's a pretty damn small gain. A gain that doesn't merit calling sub-50 RDM who don't gear swap bad. You can say "oh Gravity rocks it gives +10 accuracy" but lets face it, compared to a buff like Haste which gives 15% haste it's pretty minimal. Buffs > debuffs which is why people like them, not because they are necessarily ignorant.
            Last edited by Esoa; 12-20-2007, 11:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I gear swap to +mnd gear for Paralyze what do you want me to do? Get real please. I played a WHM to 51 and you've got it wrong. WHM is just a RDM without Refresh, lower enfeebling skill, no ability to solo, and worse nuking ability. Sure, they get Raise III but I prefer that no one in my PT dies in the first place or that we get much better XP so even if they do die their xp/hour is better.

Edit: I forgot Convert. LOL @ WHM having more MP.
              << WHM75 main
              << RDM75 secondary job

I'll bet that my gear-swapping RDM75 is noticeably more effective than 99.9% of RDMs out there. I have Refresh on all casters and Haste on all melees 100% of the time, I have MP to spare to Sleep II on troublesome targets like Mamool Ja Blusterers, and my merit parties make 20K++ limit points per hour without fail. The only RDMs I've seen who can keep up with me have a Dalmatica/Morrigan Body plus Duelist's Chapeau.

And yes, I even find time to cast the odd Dia II, Slow, Dispel, Gravity, Blizzard III, Paralyze (I don't cast the merited versions of Slow or Paralyze since it's a waste of MP, but the tier 1 spells are cheap and effective enough). Efficiency is efficiency. I have TONS of MP to spend and I find all the many ways to make it work for my party in the best way I know how. And you know what? I'm still looking for more ways to improve. Better gear. Better macros. Smarter spellcasting. And yes, better gearswaps.

RDM is limited in XP parties only by the amount of MP you have available to spend, and if you think Slow or Paralyze is a waste of time, all I can say is your sense of how effective you are sucks. Slower enemy attacks = less time my melees have to spend casting Utsusemi, and maybe even gives them a chance to recast it before they get hit. Paralyze kicking in even once is a shadow saved. Saved shadows = less time melees are casting Utsusemi, and more time attacking. It all adds up.

As for the WHM having more MP comment, I'll wager that my WHM75 has more available MP to spend over time than most non-Taru RDMs. I have 1060HP and 1327 MP in "full on" MP gear mode, and can rest to full in about 200 seconds (3.5 minutes) from empty. And that's using /BLM. The numbers are even better when using /SCH since I'd get Penury every 4 minutes plus the always-on 10% discount of Light Arts.

By comparison, a RDM will net ~480MP every 600 seconds (10 minutes) from Refresh, plus whatever they net out of their Convert. Most RDMs I see float around 800-900 max MP for Convert, and use perhaps 100-160 of that curing themselves back to full.

Icemage

Comment

You can say "oh Gravity rocks it gives +10 accuracy" but lets face it, compared to a buff like Haste which gives 15% haste it's pretty minimal. Buffs > debuffs which is why people like them, not because they are necessarily ignorant.
                -10 evasion on a mob = a 5% increase in the hit rate and thus total damage of all melee in the party who are under the acc cap. Haste is a ~17% increase in damage output of one party member. So in a party with 5 melee and a rdm, a gravity increases the party's damage by half again as much as a haste. Obviously the best thing is to use both especially if you have a bard, but calling Gravity's effect "minimal" in comaprison to Haste is again ignorant.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

They are expensive because they are the best in their slots and rare. People would pay 10 million gil for an item with +1 str if it was the best and ridiculously rare. That doesn't mean a +1 str buff is awesome.
                  I guess they ought to pay me 100 million gil for using Gravity, then.

Because I'd say 10 accuracy is worth at least 10 times as much as 1STR.

And an RDM who knows what he's doing, like me, is "ridiculously rare"!
                  There will be cake.

Comment

I am not a RDM...

In Exp. Party (pre-74): If the RDM is not swapping gear, in situation like party has a link/pop/aggro and if the RDM is primary responsible for sleeping the link, I hope the RDM's Sleep sticks...

I have seen enough of death because Sleep is resisted.
                    Server: Quetzalcoatl
                    Race: Hume Rank 7
                    75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

Originally posted by Celeal View Post
                      I am not a RDM...

In Exp. Party (pre-74): If the RDM is not swapping gear, in situation like party has a link/pop/aggro and if the RDM is primary responsible for sleeping the link, I hope the RDM's Sleep sticks...

I have seen enough of death because Sleep is resisted.
                      That's why I'm glad we get two tries... You need gear to make them both count. Loading on +INT to stick Sleep is crucial when fighting in link camps at lower level when an extra mob can easily wipe you out.

Comment

I recently rdm binged from 37-75. I had 3 gear swapping macros pre-50 mostly centered on my rings. One macro put on astral and ether, I used this just before convert or if I happen to have a chance to full heal mp the ussual way. 2nd macro was INT rings and the other MND that I had macrod in for certain spells macros. Really I dont see any reason not to gear swap once theres more then one option for any casting gear slot. For instance if you are going to macro /ma "Cure II" <t> why not add in /equip ring1 "Saintly Ring +1" ...etc or whatever right under it. It only takes a few seconds to write a macro. You can be more powerfull as a macro equiping NQ gear user then a non macro gearing full HQ, .. pre-50 that is.
                        Apothecary Owner
                        Mithra
                        BLM 75
                        RDM 75

Comment

Originally posted by Chveya View Post
                          Personally, I started using gear swaps on my RDM at lvl 10 with Saintly and Eremite's Rings (and Pilgrim's Wand, of course). I'm an admitted gear/stat whore, and if I can get my hands on something that will potentially increase my effectiveness, then I'm going to use it.
                          I agree with you. If i have a chance to use any type of equipment swapping macros I will. I try to do it on any job that I can, because whats wrong with have that extra umph? As far as RDM's go, the biggest thing to worry about RDM's is the resist rates. If all or most of ur spells are resisted, then all you are good for (as a RDM) is healing. Pre-50, I was swaping out neck pieces, Rings, Capes (until i got a Red Cape +1), and Hands. For convert, I swapped in to Electruim Rings, heal myself, then swap them back out. IMHO, equipment swapping is key for any RDM to be a sucessiful asset to a party.

Comment

WHM is just a RDM without Refresh, lower enfeebling skill, no ability to solo, and worse nuking ability.
                            Then that means they're nothing like RDM.

That's the sound of you missing the point.

There is an area between "useless" and "golden", and that's where debuffs in most xp PT's lie. There is a HUGE difference between the effect of the debuff and the effect that gear has on it. [b]So if you take a debuff that is mediocre (or even decent) to begin with and increase it's potency by 10%, that's a pretty damn small gain.[b] A gain that doesn't merit calling sub-50 RDM who don't gear swap bad. You can say "oh Gravity rocks it gives +10 accuracy" but lets face it, compared to a buff like Haste which gives 15% haste it's pretty minimal. Buffs > debuffs which is why people like them, not because they are necessarily ignorant.
                            You've never cast Paralyze a day in your life if you assume that it's mediocre at best and adding gear makes it Mediocre +10%

I wonder what planet passes over your void of the universe wherein you pull your logic from. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you only started RDM in the past year or two, and you totally missed the common-sense boat, because even young RDMs like Hongman understand wtf we're supposed to be doing in the back line. You're missing the points of the posts by taking exTREME circumstances.

2000 HP or whatever number we want to pull out of the air is a Huge Fucking Number. As a PLD, If One paralyze proc saves my ass and saves me the HP of eatting another Crawler Firebreath Attack at 90% HP w/o Rampart, it's worth it.

You fail so hard. It's unfathomable. What I realize is that no one on this message board is going to change your mind, so stfu, gtfo and DIAF. This thread isn't for you.
                            The Tao of Ren
                            FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                            Originally posted by Kaeko
                            As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

What do comments like these have to do with the discussion? Go yell at your kids or something.
                              My comment means I have a lot of rdm experience and have never heard such asinine drivel in my entire rdm career.

And keep your sexist comments to yourself.

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
                              ...and if you think Slow or Paralyze is a waste of time, all I can say is your sense of how effective you are sucks.
                              QFT
                              Originally posted by Feba
                              But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                              Originally posted by Taskmage
                              God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                              Originally posted by DakAttack
                              ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Patchinko View Post
                                I guess they ought to pay me 100 million gil for using Gravity, then.

Because I'd say 10 accuracy is worth at least 10 times as much as 1STR.
                                I wish. But seriously, look at items like Life Belt and Hauberk, they both have insane stats relative to their price. Then you have items with such marginal upgrades that cost millions of gil. It's not the stats, it's that they are "best in class" + very rare.

Comment

Working...
                                X