Front line RDM in update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front line RDM in update.

SE said they were giving RDM more abilities that would allow them to move to the front lines and they did! Only it comes in the form of /dancer!

http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/vie...hp?f=2&t=26184

Sambas
    These dances imbue melee attacks with special enhancements.
    Drain Samba (Level 5)
    Aspir Samba (Level 25)
    Drain Samba II (Level 35)

Waltzes
    These dances cure and remove ailments from party members.
    Curing Waltz (Level 15)
    Divine Waltz (Level 25)
    Curing Waltz II (Level 30)
    Healing Waltz (Level 35)

Steps
    These dance steps enfeeble enemies while granting access to finishing moves.
    Quickstep (Level 20)
    Box Step (Level 30)

Flourishes I
    Powerful dance steps that can only be used after earning finishing moves.
    Animated Flourish (Level 20)
    Desperate Flourish (Level 30)

Evasion Bonus (Level 15)
    Resist Slow (Level 20)
    Subtle Blow (Level 25)
    Accuracy Bonus (Level 30)

These dances enhance your own abilities.
    Spectral Jig (Level 25) (i think it's sneak/invis)

This is just the subbable stuff.

It would seem like the only nerf they get by being a sub is reduced finishing moves.

And not with the new gobbie bags I'll actually be able to carry a melee set.

Re: Front line RDM in update.

In order to do dances you need TP. To get TP you have to not switch weapons out constantly. Unless there's also a new weapon that negates the need for elemental staves, /Dancer doesn't turn RDM into a viable front-line job.
    Ellipses on Fenrir
    There is no rush. If you're not willing to take your time, don't be surprised when no one wants to give you much of theirs.
    . . .

Comment

Gotta agree with Ellipses there, while it will be fun in some situations, I don't see myself subbing Dancer all the time and whacking the mob in parties. Not that I actually party on RDM anymore, anyway, but that's beside the point.
      sigpic
      ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
      ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
      ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
      ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ellipses View Post
        In order to do dances you need TP. To get TP you have to not switch weapons out constantly. Unless there's also a new weapon that negates the need for elemental staves, /Dancer doesn't turn RDM into a viable front-line job.
        Being a front-line job negates the need for elemental staves.

Comment

If you need elemental staffs to land spells on merit mobs you need to take a serious look at your gear. Also who enfeebles in merit parties?

Comment

Actually, a lot of this might help out small pts with melee classes. Things like 2-3 member Pts with no real tank, Melee could use the TP dances to heal themselves and others. Things like Thf/Dnc may become far more effective in these types of small group settings. Though I doubt a TP dependent job will be all that effective for an MP based job.
            "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Oh this is assuming you actually merit. I don't. I really only use RDM anymore in sky and Dynamis.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                Actually, a lot of this might help out small pts with melee classes. Things like 2-3 member Pts with no real tank, Melee could use the TP dances to heal themselves and others. Things like Thf/Dnc may become far more effective in these types of small group settings. Though I doubt a TP dependent job will be all that effective for an MP based job.
                I don't really see a THF who wants to save their TP for SATA wanting to blow it on dances. The reason I like RDM/DNC is that it covers all the reasons why I sub WHM in merit (assuming the status cures cure everything) and my WS blow but my TP gain is fast thanks to Joyeuse.

Originally posted by Aksannyi View Post
                Oh this is assuming you actually merit. I don't. I really only use RDM anymore in sky and Dynamis.
                Well if all you do is cure-bot sky and dynamis you really don't care about front line red mages at all then do you?

Comment

I've never cared about being front line red mage. All I've wanted for the past year was to be able to enfeeble mobs and support my other mages. Now that no one invites mages to be anything but curebot/hastebots anymore, RDM just isn't as fun.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
                    I don't really see a THF who wants to save their TP for SATA wanting to blow it on dances. The reason I like RDM/DNC is that it covers all the reasons why I sub WHM in merit (assuming the status cures cure everything) and my WS blow but my TP gain is fast thanks to Joyeuse.
                    In a 2-3 man setting against EM-T mobs for missions and quests? I'm not gonna be worried about TP gain when I can use Drain-Ga and save the few, if any, healers some MP. Especially with an Acc bonus and other useful dances that can be used every 2-3 hits, it would make those small group scenarios a lot safer.
                    "I have a forebrain, my ability to abstract thoughts allow for all kinds of things" - Red Mage 8-Bit theater

Comment

Originally posted by Richie View Post
                      If you need elemental staffs to land spells on merit mobs you need to take a serious look at your gear. Also who enfeebles in merit parties?
                      Eh... Sleep/SleepII? Silence? Pretty important enfeebles if you ask me. Sure, you're probably not tossing out Slow/Paralyze I/II, but that doesn't mean you don't have enfeebles that you generally need to stick.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Ziero View Post
                        In a 2-3 man setting against EM-T mobs for missions and quests? I'm not gonna be worried about TP gain when I can use Drain-Ga and save the few, if any, healers some MP. Especially with an Acc bonus and other useful dances that can be used every 2-3 hits, it would make those small group scenarios a lot safer.
                        I often duo with a thf and some times trio with a thf and pld and it's usually the thf tanking (the pld has warrior 75 now though). Don't try to say "omg that must be a bad pld" it's just that thf hit really good on stuff that's not IT and they soak up less of my MP.

My point is that in a trio mission/nm setup it's usually the thf that's tanking and a thf tank wants shadows. It's even easier for thf to tank now that they have accomplice.

Now a blu/dnc tank at low level might be something to write home about.

Oh and to Ice, try sleeping a mamool with no staff on. It's not that hard, especially if you have merits.
                        Silence is another story but I wouldn't mind dumping my TP once every 10 pulls considering how fast you can get it back with a Joyeuse on.
                        Last edited by Richie; 11-19-2007, 12:34 PM.

Comment

To me, the big thing that'll make /DNC a viable sub or not is whether their sambas will stick while subbed. If they do, then we have something we can work with -- Aspir Samba. Of course, we still have other, bigger things keeping us away from the front line -- the fact that we have to basically constantly be in mid-cast and can't swing a weapon during that time, for one thing -- but it'd be a start. -- Pteryx

Comment

Propostions of updates for RDM sounded weak at best, because
                            Originally posted by The Developers at Fan fest '07
                            Considering magic to allow RDM to move up to front lines.
                            sounded just like
                            Originally posted by "The Developers at Vanafest '06
                            Adjustments Planned: Will continue to find ways to put Red Mages in positions where they are required to be ready for anything.
                            ... in short, they still don't have a clue as to what to do with us. They don't really care to nerf us, but they recognize the job may have become a bit stale and--for for quite a few nowadays--unplayable.

There's also the recognition that the way it's played isn't quite what they intended, so it's comforting they are trying to move back to that, even if they haven't the slightest idea how.

But my patience has it's limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Pteryx View Post
                              To me, the big thing that'll make /DNC a viable sub or not is whether their sambas will stick while subbed. If they do, then we have something we can work with -- Aspir Samba. Of course, we still have other, bigger things keeping us away from the front line -- the fact that we have to basically constantly be in mid-cast and can't swing a weapon during that time, for one thing -- but it'd be a start. -- Pteryx
                              I'm afraid this may be the case however in a few really good merit parties I have been in I didn't have to really do much but that's pretty rare. I guess we will have to wait to test it. If the healing and drain dance is good enough so that I don't have to use my standard cures it should work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X