Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Strange Maat Strategy--Can it be Done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A Strange Maat Strategy--Can it be Done?

Sleep doesn't stack per se, but Sleep 2 will overwrite Sleep 1/Lullaby/Light Shot. If you try to use the same tier of Sleep, or if you try to cast a lower tier over a higher one you'll get a 'no effect message'. So if you try Sleep 2 and it gets resisted, you can go for Sleep 1, then when your Sleep 2 timer is back up you can recast it, and the duration timer will restart when the Sleep 2 lands.

Iv never seen my Bind last more than 1 nuke >.>

My Bind must be weak. Better get that Aquilo's!
    From what I've seen it can be pretty random, and it depends on the strength of the mob. A VT or IT can have bind wear if I hit it with so much as a Bio or Poison, but on a DC I've had it hold through a Burst 2, on rare occassions when doing manaburns in Mount Z I've had that happen on a VT pudding, but that's not as often. Also, I only have NQ staves, and 95% of the time I would have a thunder staff, dark staff, or sword on when casting Bind.
    Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
      From what I've seen it can be pretty random, and it depends on the strength of the mob. A VT or IT can have bind wear if I hit it with so much as a Bio or Poison, but on a DC I've had it hold through a Burst 2, on rare occassions when doing manaburns in Mount Z I've had that happen on a VT pudding, but that's not as often. Also, I only have NQ staves, and 95% of the time I would have a thunder staff, dark staff, or sword on when casting Bind.
      Why would you cast Bind with a thunder or dark staff? It's an Ice-based black magic enfeeble. You should use an Ice Staff, +Int gear, and + Enfeebling gear. I can say with absolute certainty, that Bind will not stick on Maat past one cast of Aero III. I tried many times, with capped enfeebling (278 with gear) & +29 Int. It just isn't going to work against Maat. If you want to stay away from Maat's Asuran Fists, you're better off using Gravity.
      Last edited by Draconi; 07-19-2007, 05:26 PM.
      (Saiph on Sylph server)
      90BLU,90WHM,90DRK,90RDM,90PLD,90BLM,90WAR,90DRG,70THF,70SAM,
      70MNK,70NIN,70RNG,70BST,66SMN,66BRD,60DNC,60SCH,60COR,60PUP

Comment

Originally posted by Draconi View Post
        Why would you cast Bind with a thunder or dark staff? It's an Ice-based black magic enfeeble.
        I would use an ice staff if I was fighting something hard, but the instances I was talking about were generally when I was farming organs in Sea or doing XP, and the rest of my gear is good enough that I know I won't get resisted, so I don't bother switching to ice staff just to cast Bind. If I was trying to Bind Seiryu or something, yes, I'd go with an ice staff, but 95% of the instances in which I cast Bind don't really need it.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

3) *Important*Upon entering the BC, immediately run straight up to Maat and fire off a Sleep 2, make sure your Dark Staff is equipped when casting Sleep. Many people make the mistake of buffing first and then trying to sleep him. This allows him to buff too. If you run straight in and sleep right away, he's going to get a maximum of 1 spell off. Worst case scenario is he uses Blink, and it will eat your Sleep 2 cast, in which case follow up with Sleep 1, it's not likely to eat both casts.
          I tried that. My shortest Maat fight ever. Run in, sleep 2. Couple of hits and I was dead, with no blink and stoneskin it doesn't take much. Its much safer to buff first then use a few fast debuffs to remove his blink then dispell whatever else he cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kafeen View Post
            I tried that. My shortest Maat fight ever. Run in, sleep 2. Couple of hits and I was dead, with no blink and stoneskin it doesn't take much. Its much safer to buff first then use a few fast debuffs to remove his blink then dispell whatever else he cast.
            I gotta agree with this one, it's how my 3rd Maat fight was lost. I ran in, tried to sleep 2, and it resisted. The casting caused me to immediately take hate, and I didn't have any buffs up to protect myself whilst I tried again.

And, I still haven't fought Maat with this new strategy yet >.< I'm borrowing gear from a few friends, but some of them haven't been on to give me it, so I've been up a creek without a paddle, heh. I'm hoping for either today or tomorrow (it's hard because I have to do it on darkday ><)

Main Job: 70RDM/BLM or WHM ~ Fairy (I hate you, Maat)
            Currently Leveling: 49WHM/BLM
            Windurst Rank 10 ~ As of 5/25/07! Woot!

My Fanfiction (please read, or at least skim!)

Susan>> Babies are just like people.
            Susan>> Just smaller.
            [GM]Dave>> But I don't like people.
            [GM]Dave>> I hate people.
            Susan>> Babies are like small people that can't talk.
            [GM]Dave>> ...
            [GM]Dave>> I'm listening.

Comment

Well, I tested it on a sheep on Ronfaure lol...and yes, it does hold for more than 1 nuke/hit. I always thought it was "anything to awaken from sleep would break bind".

Comment

Only thing I can add here is that you don't have to be a 70 to do this fight. Aero III is at 69, go in then. Maat can't do Asuran Fists until 70, and since he's an even match to you... 69RDM = No Asuran Fists = More survivability. Every 69RDM I know that has fought Maat with the 'Buff/Sleep2/Dispel/Aero3x3/Sleep2/Convert/Heal/Sleep2/Aero3x3/Sleep2/Vile Elixer/Chainspell Aero3' (with the right food for INT and MP) has won in one or two fights (and Maat will give up if you get him down to 25-35% HP.) Fight two is usually because they eff'd up a macro in fight one. I can't say for sure, my RDM is only at 61, but I know it is possible based on others I've helped farm testys with.
                [Raging Fists][Jerkin][Galka][Polearm]!
                [Cloth][Can I have it?]
                'Auto-Translate... fun while waiting for Dynamis to start.'

Comment

Just because you're 69 doesn't mean that Maat isn't 70. The idea that Maat had same exact stats as you has been disproven several times. From how much HP/MP he has to his Int and other stats.

I can say for sure that Maat can Asuran Fist a level 67 whm with no problem what so ever. I was there :x

Comment

Hmm. That is news to me. My other character went through at 66WHM and beat him just fine with no Asuran Fists at all. Walked with a limp for a weak, but no Asuran Fists. I don't know, maybe it was changed, maybe some are luckier than others, but I've never heard of him doing it to anyone under level 70. Of course, now that I've said that he'll spam it on me when I go through on this account :/
                    [Raging Fists][Jerkin][Galka][Polearm]!
                    [Cloth][Can I have it?]
                    'Auto-Translate... fun while waiting for Dynamis to start.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rewyen View Post
                      Hmm. That is news to me. My other character went through at 66WHM and beat him just fine with no Asuran Fists at all. Walked with a limp for a weak, but no Asuran Fists. I don't know, maybe it was changed, maybe some are luckier than others, but I've never heard of him doing it to anyone under level 70.
                      -_-/

I tried Maat as RDM69 five times; he used Asuran Fists four of those times. It's random whether AF is used or not, but if you're in his battlefield, Maat will have Asuran Fists ready.
                      Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                      yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                      Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                      leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Originally posted by Rewyen View Post
                        Hmm. That is news to me. My other character went through at 66WHM
                        Well, it must be nice to beat Maat the easy way. But you are wrong about him not being able to use Asuran Fists below 70.

Comment

I actually went the non-buff strat everytime I fight maat. I entered, ran to maat, sleep 1. Never lost, sometimes I win without being hit even once.

Buffing up can get kinda tricky if Maat decides to Blink himself.
                          There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                          but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                          transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Personally I think Maat is lvl 71, since originally Maat could cast Fire III during the RDM fight, before they adjusted his RDM fight. But this is really totally irrelevant to the topic, carry on.
                            sigpic
                            Y'okay!

PSN: goboaj (be my friend damnit)

Comment

A brief note: If you are intending on doing this strategy, I would strongly recommend capping your skills at 70 before deleveling, if at all possible. That way when you relevel you'll already be at your cap.
                              RDM 75 - SMN 72 - WHM 37 - BLM 37 - DRK 37 -
                              Bastok Rank 10 Completed
                              Rise of the Zilart 16 "The Celestial Nexus"
                              Chains of Promathia 8 - 1 "Garden of Antiquity"
                              Treasures of Aht Urghan 13 "Lost Kingdom"

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                                Honestly, you don't need to really do something like this to beat Maat, the fight is more straightforward than people make it out to be. I've never known someone to fail using this strategy:
                                That strategy is good, but less foolproof than you make it out to be. If the first spell he casts after Chainspell is Blink, or if you get some bad resists, you will still lose. If he casts Blink before you reach him, that's bad too - you might or might not be able to recover, it's very luck dependent at that point. People who go 1/1 don't always appreciate this, because they only see what did happen, not what could have happened.

There aren't any guaranteed wins on RDM Maat. That's one of the reasons he's known as the toughest of all Maat fights. Even if you do everything right, you might still lose - depending on what Maat does. Sometimes he farts around with poison and blind and other times he goes chainspell, blink, nuke, asuran fists, you're dead. His A game is better than your A game because he can do anything you can do but with more HP, MP and Asuran Fists. Luckily most of the time he's stupider than you. But only most of the time.

Exp scrolls are a nice cheap alternative to vile elixir but they won't win you the fight by themselves. You still have to have a good strategy and execute it well and Maat still has to be having an off day.

I went, I think, 1/4 on Maat, and I did basically the same thing every time - the standard "rush, sleep, buff and dispel, then sleepnuke" strategy Callisto outlines above. It was what Maat did that changed (and made the difference).
                                Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
                                RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
                                All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Working...
                                X