rdm 20-50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdm 20-50

ok, So I'm trying to spam my rdm lvls from 20 to 50 by next saturday, and I am not sure what equipments I should be using. I was thinking at least having swords up to lvl 40, with clubs just in case I'm stuck in the back row. And I think the armor I'd be using would be such as @ 20 the baron set that helps with in and mnd even if I'm attacking. I'd like other peoples suggestions. ^^

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Silentsteel - Taru of Awesomeness on Valefor

80 Whm, 86 Drg, 40 Sam, 37 Blm, 31 Smn, & lower as it goes down... I have way too much play time for no levels, lol.

Re: rdm 20-50

MND+ gear, INT+ gear. That's about it. Equipping RDM is a lot like equipping BRD, BLM and WHM. There isn't much in the way of must have gear.

If you're going to melee you might want to focus on higher def armors instead of lower def, cloth gear.
    I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

You're probably going to want to be in the back row long before 40. The last decent swords RDM gets are Centurions at level 30 (well, there's the Buzzard Tuck at 40, but at that point you're more than likely a full-time caster with Convert).

Gear-wise there's nothing special. Collect +MP gear (and +HP RSE if you're Taru) in preparation for Convert at 40. Nab some +MND gear where you can (Justice Badge/Holy Phial, Promise Badge, Saintly+1s, Devotee's Mitts/+1, etc.). Otherwise, make sure to bring appropriate food and/or juices, particularly if you have some Cooking skill to make juices in the field.

Icemage

Comment

The Baron's set is a great start(aside from the stupidly overpriced feet), I wish it had been available when I was a wee RDM, it will probably last you for a good 20 levels. Keeping both swords and clubs on you is a fine idea, I recommend trying to keep your skills leveled when you can(especially enfeebs, elemental, enhancing, and sword), you'll be glad you did later. They have added lots of great mid level RDM stuff in last year and a half or so, for most races RSE is usually great as it will balance out your race's natural downsides. As a taru you won't really have mp or int trouble, and MND is very important for a RDM, I'd recommend focusing your accessories on MND, like rings/neck/back. At 49 be sure to pick up a Crimson Blade, it's got a great INT bonus, and allows you to still use a sword.

Around 50 you will probably melee less and use staves more, but it really depends on what kind of RDM you want to be. Many tarus seem to prefer playing back line only to me, I myself am Elvaan and I generally melee as I buff/debuff assuming that I'm not the main healer. That part is up for you to decide though, and then you can equip accordingly.

*As a just in case thing I carry gear for all occassions, buff/debuff/nuke/cure/melee, it's very nice to have the versatility, but the downside is as RDM I have 56+ items on me at all times, and I'm still about to pick up another earring and hopefully AF2 hat soon(been 4/5 forever!)

Anyways, RDM is the shiz, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
        Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Crimson Blade is completely unnecessary if you keep your AF1 Fencing Degen. It has similar +10MP (useful for Convert), and by 51 you're using elemental staves for nuking, not wielding a sword. I don't think 2 levels is worth investing in an item, though if you DO toss your Fencing Degen like I did, the Crimson Blade is still useful as a Convert tool.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
            Crimson Blade is completely unnecessary if you keep your AF1 Fencing Degen. It has similar +10MP (useful for Convert), and by 51 you're using elemental staves for nuking, not wielding a sword. I don't think 2 levels is worth investing in an item, though if you DO toss your Fencing Degen like I did, the Crimson Blade is still useful as a Convert tool.

Icemage
            Crimson Blades are generally very cheap on most servers, and althought the MP is the same as AF1, the INT boost is much greater (5 vs. 1)

Also, contrary to popular belief, RDM does not have to stop using swords at 51. Crimson Blade has respectable base damage for a mage sword, and if you keep your enhancing skills up to date your Enspells will put your per swing damage on par with most other jobs using 1 handed weapons aside from WAR or DRK using an axe.

It's a matter of preference, there is not some set way that RDM has to be played to be extremely effective. That's the nice part, it's versatile enough to insert some of your own personality into your style of play.
            Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

heh, lucky for me my magics are all around 200 cause of whm, so that shouldnt be a problem. ^^ Besides RSE (which I dont have access to right now, already sold all mine & lacking money to get new ones <.> what would be good armor to use at around 40? that seems to be the only area that seems like my armor would be lacking...

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

80 Whm, 86 Drg, 40 Sam, 37 Blm, 31 Smn, & lower as it goes down... I have way too much play time for no levels, lol.

Comment

There isn't a lot of fancy level 40 gear for RDM.

At 40 I bought a TM Coat and a shield of some sort as an upgrade to what I was already wearing. Everything else I kept.

I invested in some Geist Earrings at 38. I used those all the way to 75.

Honestly, by now you should have a pretty good idea of what stats you need to focus on to do your job. Just go through an item list and figure out what you need to start saving for.^^

Comment

Originally posted by Callisto View Post
                  Crimson Blades are generally very cheap on most servers, and althought the MP is the same as AF1, the INT boost is much greater (5 vs. 1)
                  Rose Wand +1 (Lv.48) is INT+6 and MND+6. Seems better for spell casting.

Also, contrary to popular belief, RDM does not have to stop using swords at 51. Crimson Blade has respectable base damage for a mage sword, and if you keep your enhancing skills up to date your Enspells will put your per swing damage on par with most other jobs using 1 handed weapons aside from WAR or DRK using an axe.
                  You don't have to stop using swords, but you'd better be macro'ing in elemental staves when you cast spells. The difference in resist rate is really noticeable even with capped enfeebling skills.

As nice as the per hit damage may (or may not) be, what kind of accuracy can you achieve compared to real DD's, when most melee in the Lv.50's are using sushi? Or were you eating sushi instead of mage food? >_>;

It's a matter of preference, there is not some set way that RDM has to be played to be extremely effective. That's the nice part, it's versatile enough to insert some of your own personality into your style of play.
                  I agree with this in principle, but if you can do substantially better job of keeping up Refresh, Haste, cures, and enfeebles while not melee'ing, you'd better not be swinging that sword.

The only way to find out is to try both ways, then take a harsh look at your performances, and compare. I did, then gave up the sword in EXP parties, never regretted it.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

(I know my sets of advice choppy and random, I just put them in as I thought of them)

Until refresh, I stuck with gear with high defense and swords. I never really started meleeing until I get the en- spells, however. I also kept MP, MND, and INT high on my priority list because...well...I'm still a mage with mage-like duties such as enfeebling and healing.

However, *always* prioritize mage duties over melee duties. If things get rough and/or you need to take over healing for your WHM, disengage and do what you need to do. For these cases, I suggest keeping wands or staves on hand (whichever you prefer).

After refresh, I went to full mage gear. At 48 (or whenever you get it) Rose Wand +1 is your friend. Whenever you hit 51, the *bare minimum* staff you need is dark staff for healing. I suggest dark, light, and ice, however. Dark for healing/sleeping (or anything else involving dark magic), light for healing (something you will desperately need whenever you convert), and ice for that nice INT bonus for INT based enfeebles. If you want more, Earth staff and fire are good. The best you can go, of course, is the full HQ spectrum...but beware, many will accuse you of being a gilbuyer .

If MP is a problem for you, get electrum earrings. They are fairly cheap last I checked and give a wonderful +20 MP. If you're overflowing with MP, then get INT and MND rings to help your enfeebles a bit more.

I would also suggest getting the morion tathlum at 25. If you have a fortune egg and it makes more of an MP difference, and you like MP, then feel free to use it as well. The tathlum simply has +1 INT (get it where you can!).

Black earrings, electrum rings, morion earrings (if you're on the rich side), red cape, and gear macros are all your friends...

I forgot at which level you get it, but the Tactician Magician robe was something I loved to use for a while. +1 is, of course, better, but I lived without it. Doesn't give much more to you anyway.

Now I'm at 70 and I wear full AF (I would upgrade, however I think I'll be retiring RDM soon. I can't seem to beat Maat, so I'm thinking about leveling WHM to beat him), phantom earrings, elecrum rings (those are some rings you never grow out of ), elemental staves, fortune egg (I would use phantom thathlum, but I'm too poor ><), Holy Phial, red cape, and royal knight's belt +1 (another thing I forgot to mention: those belts that give you +1 or more of all stats are very useful).

And...gear macros, here's a short tutorial for you:

You want gear macros for certain enfeebles you need to do. For black magic based enfeebles, you need more INT (gravity, poison, bio, sleep, etc.). For white magic based enfeebs, you need MND (slow, paralyze, dia).

To change your main weapon, the macro you need is /equip main "Item Name"

Earrings: /equip ear1 "Item Name" (don't quote me on this, I'm not positive. The other, of course, is ear2 if my theory is correct).

Rings: /equip ring1 "Item Name" (again, I'm not sure on that. I mainly did weapons and neck gear).

Neck: /equip neck "Item Name"

...You get the idea. I was able to put different gear changes one after the other in macros. Like this:

/equip main "Some Staff"
                    /equip neck "Some neck thingy"

However, if you have more than one gear change in a single macro and the later ones aren't changing, it simply means you need to give them time to separate the orders. Do something like this:

/equip main "Some Staff"
                    /wait 1

That puts a second of delay time between each item you are changing out.

Well, that's all I have. Good luck ^^ Hope this and everyone else's information helps~
                    Last edited by Lilani; 06-13-2007, 06:26 PM.

Main Job: 70RDM/BLM or WHM ~ Fairy (I hate you, Maat)
                    Currently Leveling: 49WHM/BLM
                    Windurst Rank 10 ~ As of 5/25/07! Woot!

My Fanfiction (please read, or at least skim!)

Susan>> Babies are just like people.
                    Susan>> Just smaller.
                    [GM]Dave>> But I don't like people.
                    [GM]Dave>> I hate people.
                    Susan>> Babies are like small people that can't talk.
                    [GM]Dave>> ...
                    [GM]Dave>> I'm listening.

Comment

As an aside, there's no reason you can't have Electrum Rings and MND/INT rings. I had Electrum Rings swapped in for the start of fights, and when I burned off that bonus MP on regen/refresh/haste/whatever, I would switch over the my stat boosting rings for enfeebles.

I had entire sets of MND and INT gear, which isn't required, but I personally felt that it made a difference in my performance.

Oh, and when you get your AF, don't wear all of it in parties. You do not need extra shield skill (boots) or parrying skill (gloves) in party play. Replace those with items that do boost the traits you use (I personally used Mannequin Pumps, Devotee's Mitts/Sly Gauntlets as a Taru, but other races may want to use their RSE feet/hands).

Comment

Originally posted by Lilani View Post
                        And...gear macros, here's a short tutorial for you:
                        Did the OP ask for one? >_>;

Originally posted by Lilani View Post
                        However, if you have more than one gear change in a single macro and the later ones aren't changing, it simply means you need to give them time to separate the orders. Do something like this:

/equip main "Some Staff"
                        /wait 1

That puts a second of delay time between each item you are changing out.
                        This isn't necessary. AFAIK, the only time you would have fail to equip is when you try to put in two slots with two equipment with the same name. For example:
                        /magic "Paralyze" <t>
                        /equip Main "Ice Staff"
                        /equip Neck "Holy Phial"
                        /equip L.Ring "Solace Ring"
                        /equip R.Ring "Solace Ring"
                        Often, the R.Ring would not switch properly.

There are two ways of dealing with this; the lazy way is just to press the macro again before the spell goes off. >_> The better way is to separate the two /equip lines with "Solace Ring".
                        /magic "Paralyze" <t>
                        /equip L.Ring "Solace Ring"
                        /equip Main "Ice Staff"
                        /equip Neck "Holy Phial"
                        /equip R.Ring "Solace Ring"
                        This will execute properly.
                        Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                        yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                        Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                        leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

heh, I dont need them, but anyone else looking at this thread it could help them. Thanks for all the suggestions guys ^^ Certainly changes some things I was planning to do.

Yay, Ty for this Eohmer~

Comment

Its true, RDM gets alot of insults and hurryed up, we do get alot of invites for the enfeeding magic, cures and regens and other spells helpfull for the party, but people arent nice to rdm's, they call us weak, and like we can't inflict damage by magic, and people yell at us alot on partyes... sutch abusements and racism gets anyone tierd :/...

Comment

Necropost, eyes, goggles, nothing.
                              I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Working...
                              X