RDM Melee (Renarudo Style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RDM Melee (Renarudo Style)

I think /SCH is the ultimate sub now for WHM and BLMs. Honestly. What works for those mages doesn't necessarily work for us, but none of you posting on this thread are novice RDMs, so that goes without saying.

Now let me see if I understand this, because I haven't been following the world of Scholars, even though I should...

You have to activate a certain school of Arts to be able to use the abilities under that umbrella. For RDMs subbing SCH, this means we get either that ability that decreases MP or the ability that decreases cast time. While the Arts is activated, you get bonuses to those spells.

The last part is what I'm unsure of, because I thought that the "bonuses" came from Penury and Celerity.

Unless aside from the increased skill, there isn't any inherent bonus to JUST activating the Arts.

I had a thought on my mind, which was the whole point of the post. But I'm in the student activities building, so I lost my train of thought.
    The Tao of Ren
    FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
    Originally posted by Kaeko
    As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

I would think that /SCH would be nice to sub as RDM if playing in a pure support role, and not needing -na spells. I don't actually have enough inventory room to unlock SCH until I finish the 2 gobby bag quests, but I'll try it out as soon as possible. XD

On topic to the thread, I gots me a few new melee gearz:

Melee Set

My Acc is up to +44 and 5 more from the +10 DEX, Atk to +63(daytime) and I tacked on 3 Sword merits so far...I'm still hurting for Atk of course so I eat meat when feasible, sushi otherwise, Enspell damage is up to 27 base(need merciful cape to bump to 28 :/).

I actually haven't gotten to do as much RDM melee action lately b/c I've either been /NIN doing Bind/DoT action or using COR for DD purposes, but I'm very happy with this melee/WS set atm, and I don't really think there's much improvement to be made until I get enough coins for a Brutal.
      Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

According to the data on the wiki, Conserve MP from blm shaves an average of 7% off your total mp use. Having an Arts effect active reduces the mp cost of aligned spells by 10% while increasing the mp cost of opposing spells by 10%. So long as you spend at least 5.67x the mp on spells matching your Arts as spells opposing your Arts, you'll save as much mp as if you had the Conserve MP trait. In more practical terms, if you cast 8 Cure IVs for every Blizzard III you cast, you're still saving as much mp leaving Light Arts on full time as you would be if you had Conserve MP.

Again, while in most situations -nas and Curaga are too important to give up, there are common exp mobs such as beetles, pugils, fire-based raptors and the ever popular colibri for which no AoE cure or status removal is necessary.
        lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
          According to the data on the wiki, Conserve MP from blm shaves an average of 7% off your total mp use. Having an Arts effect active reduces the mp cost of aligned spells by 10% while increasing the mp cost of opposing spells by 10%. So long as you spend at least 5.67x the mp on spells matching your Arts as spells opposing your Arts, you'll save as much mp as if you had the Conserve MP trait. In more practical terms, if you cast 8 Cure IVs for every Blizzard III you cast, you're still saving as much mp leaving Light Arts on full time as you would be if you had Conserve MP.

Again, while in most situations -nas and Curaga are too important to give up, there are common exp mobs such as beetles, pugils, fire-based raptors and the ever popular colibri for which no AoE cure or status removal is necessary.
          I was experimenting yesterday with WHM/SCH and it's unbelievably good. My WHM75/SCH14 was vastly outperforming versus my typical WHM75/BLM37 due to 100% rock solid consistent Conserve MP side effect of Light Arts.

Also note that the recast times for Light Arts and Dark Arts are low enough that, if you only need to cast the odd spell of the "wrong" type, you can quickly flip into one mode, cast your spell, and flip back, and keep the cost/casting bonuses - this is extremely potent when used correctly.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Icemage View Post
            I was experimenting yesterday with WHM/SCH and it's unbelievably good. My WHM75/SCH14 was vastly outperforming versus my typical WHM75/BLM37 due to 100% rock solid consistent Conserve MP side effect of Light Arts.
            Also note that the recast times for Light Arts and Dark Arts are low enough that, if you only need to cast the odd spell of the "wrong" type, you can quickly flip into one mode, cast your spell, and flip back, and keep the cost/casting bonuses - this is extremely potent when used correctly.
            Icemage
            I was wondering if they were on the same timer or not. Apparently not... very powerful indeed.
            There will be cake.

Comment

I really am getting interested in RDM/SCH as a support role sub...but I can't think of any times that I actually get to play RDM in a pure support role anymore without either needing Sleepga, Stun, melee damage, or -na spells. While I really do think /SCH could do some cool stuff, I don't think I'd ever get to use it. ; ;

Need moar good RDMs in my LS so that they can handle the things I normally do and I can play around more(or use my COR!)
              Callysto of RamuhCaithsith - 75 RDM / BRD / COR / PLD / WAR / SCH / DRK

Formerly Callisto of Ramuh. | Retired 5.28.10

Callisto Broadwurst of Palamecia

Comment

Working...
              X