RDM Maat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RDM Maat

Congratulations Sabaron! Nice work and good perseverance there!

Comment

[Congratulations!]

Got my own Maat RDM fight coming up. (LV63 atm) Fought Maat once before on my old char as WHM. Was 1/1 on that.

My crazy-soloing-rdm taru friend wants me to take the big challenge (or as he says charrenge, he's asian w) and fight Maat at 66.

I think I might do it too, just to push and test my own limits of the game. I'm thinking the Chainspell/Nuke method is going to be the way to go. Will use Stone 3 on Earth's day.

At any rate, thanks for this post Sabaron. Helps out us aspiring RDMs.

Comment

I hit an early chainspell too, with two Water3's between each sleep (only one sleep resisted - darkday, plutos, spider torque).

I think its important to get the damage done straight away as fast as possible, worked for me 1win to 4losses. That way he doesnt build up a resistance to sleep till you have got him mostly defeated, and gives you an earlier chance to convert and heal quickly before the resistance also.

Ill go in again at 70 just for larfs, but I am glad I have it out of the way.

Congratulations to all who mash'im.

Which FF Character Are You?

Comment

Other method. Poll closed ; ;

Anyway, I did sort of a blend of those two strats. I did sleep him initially, buff up, dispel, recover mp. Then Chainspell nuke. When he Chainspelled, I slept him for the second time (easy with CS still up). Then I converted, healed, recovered a little mp, recast buffs. And when his chainspell ended, alternated Aero III/Water III, cast one bind to get distance and time for the last nuke needed to win.

Win in 1:42. 0/4
          Madrone Hume Female Leviathan Server
          75: RDM MNK BLM PLD BRD subs: NIN WAR DRK BLU WHM SCH DNC RNG
          AF+1 16/25, AF2 9/25, Nashira 1/5, Crimson 3/5, Pln 2/5, Yigit 5/5, Zenith 3/5, Shura 3/5, Askar 1/5, Goliard 2/5, Homam 2/5
          Merits 384/506, Bastok rank 10, Merc rank 10

Comment

To me, RDM Maat fight is more chance based than something you can prepare for. Videos help in showing the kinds of procedures one would do should they run out of mp, land a bind spell, etc..

I didn't have the best equipment when I finally won vs Maat. I did however challenge him every Darksday I could. And the only equipment switches I used were for the staves. (Nice to have that little bit of extra damage for Aero III).

When I faced him, I wore:

Head: Warlock's Chapeau
            Body: Warlock's Tabard
            Hands: Warlock's Gloves.
            Legs: Warlock's Tights
            Feet: Custom feet piece for Hume F.
            Ring 1: Astral Ring
            Ring 2: Ether Ring
            Earring 1: Cunning Earring
            Earring 2: Cunning Earring
            Neck: Star Necklace
            Waist: Royal Knight's Belt. (Whatever it's called.)
            Ranged: None
            Ammo: None
            Back: Red Cape +1
            Staves: Dark, Light, Wind. (All NQ)

I died to him 8 times and beat him on the 9th. Used a total of 4 vile elixirs and 3 vile elixir +1s. 9th fight used 1 vile elixir and 1 vile elixir +1. No other food/perishable was used.

So, don't fret if your equipment isn't the greatest... Just keep trying. And congrats Sabaron on your win.
            Altaeciana:75RDM/40BLM/71WHM/40SMN/37NIN/37DRK/40RNG/37WAR
            Elemental days of our lives . . .:Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Thunder-Light-Dark

Comment

There is less luck involved with a Chainspell opening as Maat's choices will be far more limited and he will not have time to build a Sleep tolerance.

The poll is closed because this thread is a bit older and went dormant for about 5 days or so. I only had the poll open for 1 day in the first place, so my apologies if you wanted to vote.

The idea behind the early Chainspell is to give you a few key advantages:

1. Limit Maat's viable strategies:

Maat's usual strategy is to apply buffs, occasionally melee (he does not pursue like a melee mob, he'll stop if you keep running), nuke periodically, and debuff you. Maat will generally Chainspell if he feels threatened but not at any given percent health. He will also occasionally respond to Chainspell with Chainspell. Note that even if he does so, you should not Silence him since that limits his options to his deadly, deadly monk melee. If he maintains normal strategy (high probability) the number of spells he will cast against you are severely limited and he will not be able to penetrate your defenses since you can reapply stoneskin at will.

2. Limit Maat's resistance to debuffs

Maat, like most monsters, builds tolerance to Enfeebling Magic each time you use a given spell against him. If you only need two Sleeps, your chances of a stick are extremely high since Maat is basically an EM RDM mob. If you extend to 4-5 sleeps as most of the Sleep/Nuke method uses, your chance of a resist or worse, a double resist are quite high. This is the primary reason that I lost my Maat fights--Sleep Tolerance. The opening chainspell blocks that.

3. Easy Conversion
              With zeroed recast timers and 0.5 second casting timers, your Convert cycle will be very clean and nearly assured to go off without a hitch even if your Sleep gets a 7-second partial (which IMO is worse than a resist since it can blindside you).

4. Instant defense and defense against resistance
              Regardless of what Maat does during your Chainspell you can always reapply Stoneskin to counter him. Since you have zeroed recast timers, if you fail a Sleep stick, you can just try again as many times as you like. With S/N you can only try twice and then you have to switch to a less effective tactic.

5. Cheaper consumables
              As for consumables, I only used one 40k Pro-Ether for this fight making it considerably less expensive than most Sleep/Nuke strategies as S/N usually involves the use of Vile Elixirs and other items. A lot of people use the Vile Elixir in lieu of Conversion as Conversion during sleep can sometimes lead to death in the event of a partial resist or something nasty when your mp is dangerously low. With Chainspell up, you can even live on the edge and try Converting while Maat is still awake in a pinch.

I would say that, with the early Chainspell method, you are going to need less good gear than you will with the S/N method since you're going to need a Spider/Enfeebling Torque and hopefully a Pluto's Staff to stick sleep past the 2nd one and keep it active for as long as possible in the case of the Sleep II resist, Sleep I stick.
              Last edited by Sabaron; 02-05-2007, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Chainspell opening sounds fun alright. I oughta try it sometime. But yeah, I went with the regular sleep/nuke. Once my MP ran out and I used convert, I'd pop the chainspell ability and use that new MP + elixirs to finish him off.

I have always wondered whether it'd be possible to beat Maat without chainspell. You can deal a good 50% damage before convert. But then there's always the danger he may of gotten a punch & kick, or two, off of you. Then the random WS selection! Also, I wonder what his TP modifier trait/ability is around. He can get TP very quickly to use WSes. (And he doesn't fight like a real MNK.)
                Altaeciana:75RDM/40BLM/71WHM/40SMN/37NIN/37DRK/40RNG/37WAR
                Elemental days of our lives . . .:Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Thunder-Light-Dark

Comment

Yes, there are videos of people who Chainspell and fire off one nuke followed by death. Basically, beating him without it but throwing it in so close to the end that it is completely wasted.

Comment

Forgive me.

I voted for the Sleep/Nuke method, but then, after reading through the posts, found that Chainspell Open would be the better option for me.

So, I recast my vote even though the polls are closed! What? I'm from Florida.... I can do that.. w (just kidding)

Comment

See... I did the same thing, only I voted for Sleep/Nuke four times in a row and he still didn't make good on his campaign promises. I should've switched to Chainspell much, much earlier, but I was blinded by Sleep/Nuke's popularity.

Comment

Well...

... fought Maat the other day @LV70 (I became too much of a chicken to fight him at 66 when I realized how much time it would take me to farm a testy.).

I lost....

... but the only reason I lost was because I forgot to bring Remedies w/me to cure Paralysis and he stuck a para on me. The para ate my convert.

I waltzed into the BC, buffed up, drank mulsums to fill my mp back up (i shoulda skipped this step), slept maat, dispelled everything he had then had to sleep him again. Used Sleep 2 both times and it stuck. Chainspelled, started to nuke right away and got him down to 30% health. One time only did I have to cure in those few moments and recast one stoneskin.

Went to convert and para ate it. I was mortified. lol

Well, I didn't bring any other elixirs with me or pots, no way to recover my MP or anything, so I just let Maat whoop up on me for another 10 seconds.

Though, getting Maat down to 30%, I -know- for a fact, that had Convert been successful, I would have won.

I went to fight him on Wind's Day, and took the Auster's Staff w/me. (HQ of Wind). I also wore an Uggalepeih Pendant. Was doing 363 DMG unresisted w/Staff and Necklace on Wind's day. I had only 1 full resist and that did like 20 dmg. I had a few partial resists for 230 dmg. But mostly, all my Aero 3's did 363.

So, all in all, I've put RDM on standby for a while cuz I burnt myself out playing it lol, but I will pick it back up again soon to go farm another testy.

Got mine from Ruby Quadav after 2 kills. Wish there was a safer way to get one lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinhiryu_Kage View Post
                          Got mine from Ruby Quadav after 2 kills. Wish there was a safer way to get one lol.
                          There is. The pots in Uggelipih were a snap. You just have to melee them down rather than sleep/nuke.

Comment

Ruby is pretty safe.
                            I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

Originally posted by Murphie View Post
                              There is. The pots in Uggelipih were a snap. You just have to melee them down rather than sleep/nuke.
                              This was very easy. Got one while farming lanterns for ZM4. Damn pots aggro but it all worked out in the end.
                              sigpic
                              ~Aksannyi~~Hades~~75WHM~75RDM~75BLM~75SMN~73WAR~67SCH~47BRD~
                              ~Mama Gamer~~Quitted July 2009/Bannt October 2009~~Excellence LS~
                              ~I has a blog~~http://aksannyi.livejournal.com/~
                              ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

Comment

Am I the only fella who needed the accompaniment of a THF to get a testimony against both Ruby and Uggalepih pots? I went through so many of those pots, I could have leveled at least once, but the moment I teamed with a THF or /THF, the testimonies flowed like wine.

Oh, and I voted the "Sleep/Nuke method." It worked very well when I learn to adapt to surprises. Though, to be fair, I never gave the "Opening Chainspell" method a fair try.

Comment

Working...
                                X