RDM Maat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDM Maat

Ok. I'm a RDM70 going up against Maat and I'm 0/2. I've been using the following method:

0. [Darksday] Eat Brain Stew
    1. Run to circle
    2. Cast buffs: Protect IV, Shell IV, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Blink
    2.5 Drink Intelligence Potion
    3. Sleep II --> Maat [hasn't failed on the first one so far]
    4. Dispel until failure
    5. Restore MP using potions
    6. Bind alternating with Gravity
    7. Aero III
    8. Sleep II / Sleep
    9. Repeat 6-8
    10. Repeat 6-8
    11. Repeat 6-8
    12. Max MP
    13. Convert
    14. Chainspell
    15. Bind
    16. Gravity
    17. Aero III to death.

I haven't gotten past the {Convert}. Here's what happened:

Attempt #1: On Sleep II before Convert, Maat gets full resist, cast Sleep, Convert, Cure IV, Maat Wakes up (partial resist), cast Bind (Full Resist), [Maat] BAM, BAM, {Asuran Fists} FTW

Attempt #2: On third Sleep II forgot Bind, Maat {Chainspell}, BAM, BAM, Sleep II fails to stick, Fire II, Water III, Thuder II FTW. I stupidly attempted to Bind Maat during the volley [Freak out FTL]

I saw a video of a second method (used by a Taru, I'm a Hume):

0. [Windsday]
    1. Run to circle
    2. Cast buffs: Protect IV, Shell IV, Stoneskin, Phalanx, Blink
    3. Pro-Ether
    4. Chainspell
    5. Diaga [Cancel Blink if active]
    6. Aero III [Repeat]
    7. Stoneskin when down
    8. Vile Elixir +1
    9. Aero III [Repeat]

Should I continue using Method #1, or switch to Method #2?
    Method #1: Sleep/Nuke
    75.00%
    Method #2: Chainspell to Open
    16.67%
    Other Method
    8.33%

The poll is expired.

Re: RDM Maat

You seem to be getting your sleep resisted way too much (specially for a Darksday), what kind of gear swaps are you using?

Also, I would suggest using Chainspell right after Sleep II and before Convert so you can heal yourself fast and finish him. (I think that's what I did but not sure about it, it's been a while. )
    sigpic
    "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
    Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

Weird that you're getting so many resists. I didn't even go on Darksday and I didn't get that many. Is your enfeebling up to speed?

I didn't bother with food, but I did have some MP meds on me. (Juice, some Mulsum, a Vile Elixir and a VE +1). I also bound him, which saved my hide a few times, I'd imagine.

Honestly though, Maat is just tricky. You can go in knowing exactly what you are going to do, and he'll throw you a curveball. Still, I prefer the relative safety of the Sleep/Nuke method over the CS + Nuke version.

Comment

My Enfeebling is maxed. Swap in on Sleep spells:

Spider Torque
        Eremite's Ring +1 x 2
        Dark Staff

Update:

Tried again. This time death by Paralyze. Paralyze wiped my {Chainspell}, (Maat had just Chainspelled). I forgot my Remedy Ointment which I made myself for just such an occasion >.<. I was like wtf do I do now? Sitting with Maat asleep (he CSed right after an Aero III and I was Sleeping him) and a green skull in my status bar... So, I suck it up and wait for a bit. Cast Bind/Gravity and then Aero III as he wakes. Maat {Chainspell}. Sleep {blocked by paralyze}. {Chainspell} blocked by Paralyze >.<. Maat casts Bind and then beats the crap out of me with magic and fists. Blocks my second sleep with Paralyze (Again). Although he may just have interrupted me with fists on that last one.

He has never resisted my first 2 Sleep attempts. The first death, resisted the fourth one.

All of my Aero IIIs are hitting for 390ish damage with my Elemental Torque, Rings and Wind Staff swapped in. (I have only gotten 1 partial so far for 180ish).

My gear:
        All elemental staves except Water. Assume RDM AF unless noted:

Ammo: Phantom Tathlum
        Neck: Spider Torque/Elemental Torque
        Ears: Insomnia/Pigeon
        Body: Blue Cotehardie (MP Swap in), Warlock's
        Rings: Eremites +1, [Swaps on Electrum for convert]
        Wrists: Garden Bangles [HP+20 Vit+2 Regen I always go when they're active] but I could go with Warlock's for the MP+12.
        Back: Red Cape +1
        Belt: Royal Knights (I don't have/can't afford Penitents)
        Feet: Custom M (for the +32MP)

I have money for normalish gear. I don't have God money so please don't suggest I go buy 4 Serket's Rings and a few Haubergeons--that doesn't help. Consumables, basically {Sky}'s the limit.

I saw someone in a vid using Darksteel Gear (the kind with the Physical Damage -%) on hands and feet, but that stuff is not really available on Asura at least right now, and it doesn't really look all that special for this fight.

I have a Blue Cotehardie swap in for MP, but I haven't used it since it doesn't have Enfeebling +15 and I've been using the Sleep Method. I have it on macro swap in though, so I can throw an Aero III and burn the mp out of it before switching back to Warlock's. Please note that I have always died before Conversion.
        Last edited by Sabaron; 01-27-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i went in on watersday with normal gear not even any + Enfeeble but Warlocks body, the only gear swaps i had was rings and staff and on my second time i never had 1 resist
          "Death shall seek you out, If death fails, I promise you, i wont." ~ Srxjo (me)
          "My lips are stained scarlet red from my blood" ~Srxjo (me)
          "The greatest pain in this world is losing that which is closest to ones own heart" ~Srxjo (me)

Comment

Maybe your problem is more about not having enough +INT rather than a skill thing.

For legs it doesn't say but I guess the +32MP you are talking about is from Custom Slacks and not boots.

You should try these pieces next time along with a Pie like Rolanberry +1 (MP+60, INT+3).

Custom M Boots (+3 INT)
            Magic Cuisses (+3 INT)
            Philomath Stole (+3 INT) <-- Optional, instead of skill torques
            Engineer's Gloves (+1 INT) <-- Easy quest, might be worth it

Just macro the items so you don't lose MP when casting, but after the first Aero the +MP gear becomes kinda useless till you Convert.
            sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

I used Brain Stew and an Intelligence Potion. It's hard to get that much intelligence from gear until Errant. Int. Potion/Pro-Ether are both medicating, so they can't be used together. Super Ethers and Mulsum were the beverage of choice.

I will definitely pick up the Engineer's Gloves. I'm not sure that Philomath Stole is the direction I want to go though. I'm already wearing the boots but I suppose I could swap-in the tights for Stoneskin, swap out for nuke/sleep. I've only got one more line of gear swap (I think, maybe two). I've been looking at Philomath since they've dropped to dirt cheap with everyone running Fe'e for KC.
              Last edited by Sabaron; 01-28-2007, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Hmm, how much of the effect did you get (from potion)? Because your Sleep resist rate seems way too high. Unless the server hates you that is.

Edit> Still, Rolanberry +1 could work better and you only lose 2 INT.
                sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

There are invisible GMs that follow me around breaking my crystals on syntheses and spawning random monsters to interefere with my activities >.>. Sometimes they also possess the monsters I'm fighting to make them smarter or keep keys and key items from dropping for hours on end.

In all seriousness, however. I don't really think my Sleep resist rate is any higher than those shown in the videos I've watched. It just seems that I keep having a bit of bad luck. The 2nd method seems a bit more straightforward (though I'd add Bind/Gravity to the beginning) and more brute force with less chance for random crap. The Sleep/Nuke method allows for several instances of random garbage interfering (in the case of the Paralyze).
                  I didn't even bother to look at the bonus on the potion since it doesn't really matter as I can only use one and it's at least 5 which is better than almost anything I can wear. It can go as high as +27 (A 70th level Hume RDM with no subjob has 55 Base Intelligence).
                  Here are some videos:

Method #1
                  [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1RPfD88mP0[/YOUTUBE]

Method #2
                  [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ3j0EYW_yE[/YOUTUBE]
                  Last edited by Sabaron; 01-28-2007, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Attempt #4 with Method #1: Sleep/Nuke. Failure:

Eating Melon Pie +1
                    Drink Intelligence Potion
                    Stoneskin
                    Sleep II to open [stick]
                    Refresh
                    Bind [stick]
                    Aero III [392]
                    Sleep II [stick]
                    Gravity [fail]
                    Bind [stick]
                    Aero III [392]
                    Sleep II [fail]
                    Sleep [stick]
                    Bind [stick]
                    Aero III [392]
                    ... Preparing for Convert ...
                    Sleep II [fail]
                    Bind wears
                    Sleep [fail]
                    Bind [stick]
                    Run Away!!!
                    Maat Spell Barrage wipes SS, Orange HP
                    Vile Elixir +1
                    Sleep II [fail]
                    Bind wears
                    Sleep [interrupted by melee]
                    Sabaron receives {death}.

Next attempt: Method #2 {Full Attack!}

Please note that I should have switched to {Full Attack!} mode after the double sleep failure using Chainspell Convert Stoneskin.

I'll be using a modified (safer) version with {Bind} {Gravity} after {Chainspell}.

Comment

I always had problems with sleeping Maat. The way I finally ended up beating Maat was run in, Sleep II, Blink and Stoneskin, dispel until nothing left to dispel, Aero III and Sleep I/II until he was down to about 70%, pro-ether then Chainspell Aero III until there was no more Maat with recasting Stoneskin as needed.
                      I use a Mac because I'm just better than you are.

HTTP Error 418 - I'm A Teapot - The resulting entity body MAY be short and stout.

loose

Comment

All my Maat bettle went like this.

- eat food outside
                        - enter
                        - run to bc
                        - sleep 1 on Maat. Usually lands without problem if you have proper equipment and INT boost.
                        - If Maat has blink (which never happen to me) then you have to nuke 1's a few times and resleep
                        - dispel him, sleep 2, buff yourself.
                        - bind gravity
                        - 2hr nuke, aero aero aero aero
                        - sleep when MP down below 150, re-stoneskin if needed, convert, cure,
                        - nuke some more.

I always win before 2hr wears off this way.
                        Melon pie+1 is my favourite food for Maat.
                        I never used any meds
                        4/4 Maat fight for 4 different characters.
                        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Attempt 5: Method Modified {Full Attack!} Chainspell opening

F T W

Description of method:
                          00. [Windsday] Eat Melon Pie +1
                          01. Enter BC, Run to Maat.
                          02. Sleep II >> Maat
                          [Note: This runs the risk of downing your Sleep II timer if Maat cast Blink before you got near enough to see. On all 5 runs he always had exactly one buff of this type]
                          03. Dispel >> Maat [Eliminated Stoneskin]
                          04. Stoneskin
                          05. Dispel >> Maat [Maat had no more buffs]
                          06. Protect IV
                          07. Shell IV
                          08. Blink
                          09. Phalanx
                          10. Pro-Ether
                          11. Bind >> Maat
                          12. Gravity >> Maat
                          13. Chainspell
                          14. Aero III >> Maat until low MP (100ish for me)
                          15. Sleep II [failed]
                          16. Sleep II [stick remeber we're Chaining here no recast timers I used Sleep I here ]
                          17. Convert! [macro includes a Cure IV]
                          18. Bind
                          19. Aero III >> Maat until {Death}

He couldn't do anything. There is much less chance of a "Major Crap Up" here since the battle is very short. 2 minutes 45 seconds. I now hold the record on Asura for Red Mage Maat. Chainspell was still active when I exited the Burning Circle.
                          Sabaron vs. Maat: 1/5

I downloaded FRAPS but was unaware that, unregistered, it limits video length to 30 seconds. Therefore, in the interests of Science, I have included my Log (semi-edited and compressed) for your perusal (I removed the comments from my LS Mates).

If you don't want to fiddle with the log, here are the Aero III damages extracted:

395, 359, 359, 359, 359, 129

The last one is not a resist. Maat cast Stoneskin and blocked 230 points of damage. My Elemental Skill is not capped but it is near cap (10 points under last I checked). I use Stone when in XP party to keep it capped and the occasional tier III nuke when I'm ready to Convert, generally, or if I have more than adequate MP due to a second refresher (BRD/COR). Note, however, that I have an Elemental Torque for +7 Elemental Skill so that brings me to -3 off cap which may or may not be significant enough to warrant a resist against an EM mob. Windsday likely corrects any small differential.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Sabaron; 01-28-2007, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Note to Mods who might look: If I reformat this as a guide would you sticky it?

Comment

(Congratulations!)

It's interesting, maybe I'll go fight the old man again just to try this method. It sounds like fun.
                              sigpic

その目だれの目。

Comment

Working...
                              X