Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maat Fight Blues ='(

Hello everyone

I know this is probs posted but I'm at college at moment and can't find post on it.

Thing is I got my RDM to Lv 11 and I got told to stop and not bother cause of Maat.
    Anyway I got SMN to 54 with all Avatars and I'm pretty bored and I been considerin RDM for awhile now or maybe even BLM.... Want RDM more.

Anyway....
    I was wonderin what everyones experince with Maat was like
    is it bad enough to lvl another job to 70 first???

Please help me out here Im totaly lost....

Thanks ^.^
    And sorry for inconvience

P.S Paris Hiltons new song ROCKZ hehe

Character: http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?86132
    Fenrir Won: 11/08/2006
    Diablos Won: 07/03/2007

Re: Maat Fight Blues ='(

/sigh

Don't listen to what other people say. While it's a more difficult fight than others, as long as you plan out your strategy, it's not that bad. It just takes a lot more preparation that other fights, that's all.

Don't quit out on a job, because idiots tell you to. More than likely, the people who told you not to take up rdm don't have a job past 40, and they probably heard it from someone else. Play what you like doing best. If you like the magic, melee combination, go rdm!

Besides, don't worry about the maat fight until you hit 70. This just further complicates things.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

well my plan from start was
      Buy List:
      5X HP Potion
      5X Hi Ether
      Yad Drink

Go in and buff up and kit msyelf up in AF,
      Then Sleep, Dispel, Dispel, Dispel, Bind, Blind, Sleep

Heal MP
      Aero III, Sleep Bind, Aero III, Sleep, Aero III and repeat til done

Also cap Enfeeble and magic skills etc

Also if I have money maybe add some other foods

But I was told I'd die in seconds like that...

Comment

Well, I can't help you there. I don't want to give bad advice, on the count of me not getting rdm past 15. >:3.

I'm sure Taskmage or one of the other many rdms here can help you out with strategy.
        ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

Are you still lvl 11? If that's the case you wont have to worry about Maat for at least another 6-12 months (specially if you are busy with college).

In any case Maat's fight is not easy but it isn't impossible either, it's about strategy, macros and a bit of luck (to have a good Sleep rate, simply go on Darksday ). If you like RDM and feel comfortable soloing is very unlikely you'll lose too many times.

In my case I fought Maat three times I think 2 on dry runs to test which macros I needed and the last one I wasn't really fighting seriously, only used a Rolanberry pie and a couple of Yagudo Drinks, and I also forgot to bring a Wind Staff.

But even so I beat him with like 200 mp left and more than half HP, so, if you gear properly and follow a strategy you can beat him without troubles.

PS > Listen to Mog, he's right Kupo.

Edit > Those people who are telling you to stop because they don't think you can beat Maat are kinda looking down at you.

Send em to Valkurm Dunes and just lvl the job you like.
          sigpic
          "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
          Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I don't solo much
            But I have a VERY good Linkshell ^.^
            that will get my my wep skills or magic skills up in a Skill Pt ^.^
            so I won't need to solo
            But I am gonna do like test runs too ^^ and maybe some test runs on NM with the help of my LS 6.^

Comment

When you get closer to Maat fight lvl you might wanna start soloing a bit more though, skill up parties are nice but things like Maat's fight require you to fight on your own without even a sub to rely on.

You gotta be comfortable fighting a tough enemy that hits you for 150 dmg without panic or forget about your strategy.

Gotta get a bit tougher if you wanna beat the old man.

PS > It's a nice and really fun fight, I can assure you that.
              sigpic
              "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
              Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

I was incredibly lucky on my fight and the old man didn't resist a single spell the whole time except for the gravity I threw before using Chainspell, so I can't actually give as much advice as some others who had to fight him more than once or deal with more adverse circumstances.

Your friend's advice is rather pessimistic. I know two people who quit rdm at level 70 because of Maat, so you shouldn't blow it off either, but Maat is no reason to quit before you even get started. There's a long, long road before you come to that hurdle, and the only thing you can do until then is have some faith in your own abilities and tenacity.

For my fight, I went in on Darksday, wearing only Devotee's Mitts. Going in naked may be a silly superstition, I dunno, but supposedly he copies your stats including equipment and I wanted to lower his int to give him less chance of resisting Sleep and Aero. If it's not true, it's not like you lose anything. Ran straight for him as soon as I entered the BC, hitting the two macros I had set up to get dressed along the way. As soon as he was in range, Sleep II. Luckily he hadn't cast Blink and it stuck. Only at that point did I stop to drink my Yagudo Drink, buff with Protect, Shell, Stoneskin, Blink, and Aquaveil. I Dispelled his buffs, (Shell IV and Enwater) waited until Sleep II was ready to cast again, and woke him up with Aero III. Blink ate whatever spell he threw at me and I put him back to sleep. Reapply Blink, rest until Sleep II is ready again, Aero III. Rinse and repeat until mp is gone. At that point I decide he's low enough I can take him out in 3-5 Aero IIIs so I Convert, Cure, cast Gravity for insurance and Chainspell Aero III. Old man managed to strip Blink and Stoneskin and deal 49 damage to me before Maat hit the mat. That's when the more difficult battle to get my hands to stop shaking began. It's a rush.

Random tips:
                • Always keep Blink up. It's underappreciated because against normal melee Stoneskin is much better, but one shadow from Blink can absorb an entire Asuran Fists, an Aero III, or a Silence or Paralyze that could make life hell for you.
                • I didn't, but you should probably take an Echo Drop and a few Remedies in case he does stick one of those on you.
                • Know what you're going to do if things go wrong. Have macros set up for Sleep II, Sleep, Bind and Gravity just in case the one before it gets resisted.
                • As a taru I had enough natural int and mp to finish the fight with no food or meds other than one Yag Drink. Any other race should probably eat a pie and bring a strong ether at the least.
                • Don't panic.
                That's all I can think of at the moment ..

Hmm ... thinking back I think they changed Blink so it doesn't fully absorb multi-hit weaponskills in one shadow. It probably happened the same time they let things strip multiple shadows of Utsusemi. Anyone know?
                Last edited by Taskmage; 10-12-2006, 02:51 PM.
                lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

The frustration with the Maat fight is that you can do everything right and still lose. There is some luck involved. In saying that though, if you have good equipment and a decent tactic (and, as Taskmage said, Don't Panic) it probably won't take you too many attempts to beat him.

It certainly isn't worth levelling another job to 70 just to get past him...

Comment

Originally posted by Taskmage View Post
                    Don't panic.
                    Singled it out for emphasis. And this applies to all maat fight. Well, except for WAR's (Buff up, get TP, 2hr, Raging Rush, IC, Raging Rush )

Comment

Maat fight isn't overwhelmingly difficult, nor expensive, for RDM. Just because someone else couldn't do it doesn't necessarily mean you can't. It may of taken several RDM players to fight Maat 5 times or more, but, he is defeatable so long as he can take damage.
                      Altaeciana:75RDM/40BLM/71WHM/40SMN/37NIN/37DRK/40RNG/37WAR
                      Elemental days of our lives . . .:Fire-Earth-Water-Wind-Ice-Thunder-Light-Dark

Comment

Maat for RDMs is easier than levelling another job to 70 for sure. As mentioned, at level 11, you're a long, long, LOOOONG way from needing to worry about the old guy, so if you enjoy the job just play it.

As far as gear goes, the only pieces that make a difference:
                        AF1 body: Enfeebling skill is king - enfeebles are what win this fight
                        AF1 hat: Not for the Fast Cast, but for the Elemental Skill
                        Enfeebling Torque: Tangible boost to Enfeebling skill
                        Master Caster's Bracelets: Assuming you can buy these (requires that you be Windurstian), these can give you another +7 Enfeebling and Elemental if you set things up right.
                        Pluto Staff: Better chance to land Sleep is good
                        Auster's Staff: Better chance to land Silence, Gravity, and more damage on Aero III is great
                        Any other minor bits of +Elemental or +Enfeebling skill like earrings and such will help here too. Otherwise, rest of your gear is whatever you want it to be.

Icemage

Comment

Don't be over panic. You don't even know how RDM is played ... You're at level 11 RDM only. It's not that hard to beat Maat with lv 70 RDM, just keep trying. I beated Maat with RDM, 7 tries.

Comment

i went 1/1 on rdm maat, i told my ls i was trying for that, and just got laughed at, heh. I believe the key to my victory was preperation. I had the moldavite earring, i had enfeeb torque and earring, solo'd my test, went in on windsday, i only brought a vile elixar and the +1 ver. Nothing resisted(except gravity lol). only mistake i made was using chainspell to late, he died 2 aero3's into it.

but everyone is correct, you are a very long way away from a maat fight for RDM, dont worry about those lvls until you get there.

Comment

my friend went 0/7 on him. He gave me his account for help. I log in and went 1/1. Enfeeble torque and darkstaff play the major role here IMO. You want your sleep to stick. I used HQ darkstaff and torque. No ear ring tho.

All I ate was melon pie +1 and a yagudo drink. Maat didn't even scratch me.
                              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Working...
                              X