This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *screams!*

So I log onto my character the other day, and I get a tell from somebody I've never seen before.

Player>> lol hi
    >>Player : Uh...huh.
    Player>> It's (fill in friend's name here). I'm on Player's toon.
    >>Player : Oh, hi. What are you doing on Player?
    Player>> I'm getting her a testimony.

/sea all player

[Rdm70/Smn35]Mith/5 Player Qulun

>>Player : ...What?
    Player>> I said I'm getting her a testimony lol
    >>Player : Are you @#$%ing kidding me?
    >>Player : There's no way in hell she's going to be able to win Maat without solo experience.
    Player>> What would you say if I told you I'm going to do Maat for her too?
    >>Player : I'd tell you to quit talking to me. Right now.
    Player >> lol why
    >>Player : Because you're not doing your friend any favors.
    >>Player : She will always be a sub-par Red.
    >>Player : All you're doing is unleashing another clueless rdm on the world. We have too many of those already.
    Player>> If I go 1/1 on Maat, you gotta bow down to the skills lol
    >>Player : I'll bow down just low enough to headbutt you in the teeth.

Am I wrong at being pissed off at a scenario like this? There's a thing that we've all seen from time to time, where you're a (fill in alt job here) and there's another rdm in your party. We cringe everytime Dispel is late, or Refresh stops coming, or enfeebles are practically nonexistent. We've all partied with one before.

My message to everyone out there...

STOP making it impossible for Darwinism to kick in! If somebody's having problems with a job, help them so far, and then let them struggle through on their own. They'll either make it, or they won't.

Either way, it's good for the rest of us.

Re: *screams!*

How does defeating Maat improve one's capability to dispense timely dispels and ensure mages are refreshed in an EXP pt?

Your logic is flawed. So what if this person may not be able to solo as well as he/she would have been able to with the trying experience of going 1/(arbitrarily large number) against maat. I highly doubt this would effect the player's skill set for EXP or even HNM.
    Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
    http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

Originally posted by Slaneyder the Tiny
      So I log onto my character the other day, and I get a tell from somebody I've never seen before.

Player>> lol hi
      >>Player : Uh...huh.
      Player>> It's (fill in friend's name here). I'm on Player's toon.
      >>Player : Oh, hi. What are you doing on Player?
      Player>> I'm getting her a testimony.

/sea all player

[Rdm70/Smn35]Mith/5 Player Qulun

>>Player : ...What?
      Player>> I said I'm getting her a testimony lol
      >>Player : Are you @#$%ing kidding me?
      >>Player : There's no way in hell she's going to be able to win Maat without solo experience.
      Player>> What would you say if I told you I'm going to do Maat for her too?
      >>Player : I'd tell you to quit talking to me. Right now.
      Player >> lol why
      >>Player : Because you're not doing your friend any favors.
      >>Player : She will always be a sub-par Red.
      >>Player : All you're doing is unleashing another clueless rdm on the world. We have too many of those already.
      Player>> If I go 1/1 on Maat, you gotta bow down to the skills lol
      >>Player : I'll bow down just low enough to headbutt you in the teeth.

Am I wrong at being pissed off at a scenario like this? There's a thing that we've all seen from time to time, where you're a (fill in alt job here) and there's another rdm in your party. We cringe everytime Dispel is late, or Refresh stops coming, or enfeebles are practically nonexistent. We've all partied with one before.

My message to everyone out there...

STOP making it impossible for Darwinism to kick in! If somebody's having problems with a job, help them so far, and then let them struggle through on their own. They'll either make it, or they won't.

Either way, it's good for the rest of us.
      I think you're justified in being pissed off. It's the same thing with PLing. I hate seeing people hop on a new job(Especially when they're making the trasition from Mage to Melee or vice versa; they're just not quite the same.) and have a PL stuck to their hip till Lv40ish(and beyond for some >.>)

I also hate when people say 'x' job can't solo 'y'; Or can't solo period. It's just not true... you might not be able to solo for the same exp you can get in parties(if you could what would be the point of parties?) and you can't wear the same gear(tons of STR/ATK/ACC with no DEF is NOT a good solo setup). You can solo as any job at any level(not any enemy though!) with the right tactics. I've soloed as most.

Sorry I went off on a tanget; but people really need to do Maat for themselves.

Originally posted by capitalistnihilist
      How does defeating Maat improve one's capability to dispense timely dispels and ensure mages are refreshed in an EXP pt?

Your logic is flawed. So what if this person may not be able to solo as well as he/she would have been able to with the trying experience of going 1/(arbitrarily large number) against maat. I highly doubt this would effect the player's skill set for EXP or even HNM.
      True, it doesn't do anything for those skills. But it builds an overall level of skill. If all you can do is refresh and dispel I hope you don't ever change jobs.
      sigpic

Comment

So what if this person may not be able to solo as well as he/she would have been able to with the trying experience of going 1/(arbitrarily large number) against maat.
        The point I'm trying to get at is that countless people have done it before. On every race. It's doable, we've all done it.

They have the same tools that the rest of us had. And since everybody else has done it, and (fill in person here) can't, said person is by nature sub-par.

And I say that with extreme caution. Rdm maat has a ton of luck attached to it. A lot of people just get unlucky a few times. I myself timed out twice and relogged dead, had a few sleeps resisted that shouldn't have been, and got Asuran Fisted twice in a row.

But if Maat wakes up in an untimely manner, you bind him, gravity him, kite him, you do whatever you have to. It makes you quick on your feet.

Without that experience?

Meh. You're just there for refresh, right?

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you about someone skipping out on maat being a weak cop-out. I'm just saying that your comments regarding this person’s effectiveness in a party being correlated with their ability to beat maat are flawed.
          Sky:O Sea:O Koga: 3/5 Melee: 1/5
          http://manapool-ls.com - Bahamut Endgame LS

Comment

I"m a little mixed on the subject really. I don't like playing alone in general, so in most cases, I don't. I also don't play WHM... I play WHM/BLM or WHM/SMN... I also don't judge my worth as a WHM/whatever by how well I cure myself... I judge it by how well I keep 6 people alive... how well I help manage hate... how well I manage my share buffs on other people...

Anyhow, the point is, while it is nice that there is something to prove that I can onene a near god-like NPC in under ten min... the only value that has is saying "I did it," because fankly, I can't think of a single situation like Maat that I've ever been in within the last three years.

So from that perspective, I can totally understand why someone would feel that the Maat test can just be tossed aside and done by someone else.

That said, there is no way in hell I'm letting someone do it for me. I'm the one that put a 160 days of playtime into my character, and I'll be damned if the experience is cheapened because someone else went 1/1 on maat for me.

I'm 0/2 and damned proud of it.

Comment

Just my story. When my GF's BLM reached 70, I TRIED so hard telling my girlfriend how to fight maat with her Blm. She lost 3 times in a row and was really depressed about it.
              So eventually I had to fight the battle for her. My blm was only 37 ^^ but I managed to win Maat the first fight.

My girlfriend is not the smartest Blm. But she definitely isn't a bad player. She knows how to control hate, not over nuke and rarely miss any MB.
              Altho macroing equipment change are too complicated for her however I think playing on Japanese client with all items name in japanese makes it really hard.

What I want to say is that, try not to take those things other players are doing upon yourself. Fighting Maat, if anything, is SO different from normal PT play. Rdm don't nuke sleep in PT ^^ And we don't need refresh cycle in Maat fight.

Personally, I had friends helped me farmed the testimonial from pot type mobs on Qufim Tower. Sleep+Nuking turtles being a form of Maat fight practice was not known at my time. And yet, I won Maat the first fight. It's not entirely related ^^
              There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
              but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
              transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by capitalistnihilist

There is more to Red Mage than Refresh and Dispel. Those are important, but a truly skilled Red Mage is familiar with all of their abilities and uses them as needed. Main healer low/out of MP? You cast cures. Tank down? Chainspell tank to save the day. And so on.

Sure, the Maat fight doesn't directly relate to XP. However, it is a rite of passage that we all have to go through. White Mages have to take damage. Paladins have to deal damage. Are those the typical party roles for those jobs? No, but they still have to do it. Why shouldn't a RDM have to fight their Maat?

RDM 75/WHM 38/BLM 37/DRK 37/NIN 37/PLD 37 -- Cooking 96.7+1
                Image by Askannyi
                LoneGamer.net

Comment

This thread is... exceptionally negative and trollish. Sorry if this seems mean, and I understand many people are starting accounts here since they've left Allakhazam, but... doesn't this topic seem a little beneathe our forum here? Maybe that's just how I feel, being sheltered in my world of puppies and lolipops.^^

As for the topic... I have known a number of RDM well known for their lack of skill who got past Maat, albeit after many attempts. I have also known a number of RDM well known for being very good in PT who had trouble getting past Maat. It is not a significant barrier, nor a representation of a RDM's PT capability. If anything, it's a test of a RDM's ability... to beat Maat. Which is an awesome challenge.
                  There will be cake.

Comment

So you've never helped a new player get a skull, robe, apron, or worm? You've never helped get papyrus, bomb coal, or mold? Ya, the majority of us have so I guess we are advancing stupid players then by your logic. I've seen my fair share of totally crappy rdms that if I didn't know better bought their account. They did Maat all by themselves too.
                    Originally posted by Feba
                    But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                    Originally posted by Taskmage
                    God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                    Originally posted by DakAttack
                    ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

The thing is, Maat is a VERY big milestone. More than any of the other Genkais. It's HUGE for a player. IMHO, having somebody fight Maat for you, is like having somebody taking your driver's licensing test for you. It just isn't right
                      Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
                      90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                        So you've never helped a new player get a skull, robe, apron, or worm? You've never helped get papyrus, bomb coal, or mold? Ya, the majority of us have so I guess we are advancing stupid players then by your logic. I've seen my fair share of totally crappy rdms that if I didn't know better bought their account. They did Maat all by themselves too.
                        The biggest difference is that while the first two or three Genkais require a TEAM EFFORT, Maat fight *does* not.

You can view this however you wish, but remember, Maat is a solo experience and if the player has not tried to attempt this at least *once* (Jei's GF did it at least three times) then you might as well go p/u WOW right now.

It doesn't necessarily mark the sign of a good RDM, but let me tell you something, it at least proves your worth in a solo experience. I also disagree with this sentiment: that if you cannot hold your own in a solo situation that you are not necessarily a bad player.
                        A good player, IMO, is someone that can BOTH play in a team effort and contribute his/her *own* weight (110% effort would be sexy) and who can accomlish things in on his/her own (Does not mean they need to do everything on their own, but they should at least be able to sufficiently take care of themselves when they find themselves in a not too difficult position)

This is a reason why I look up to players like ApplePie.

The OP may have been off in his logic, but from a total perspective, this situation is no different from going to IGE and buying one's account. In fact, how do we know if this player hasn't had his/her character leveled up by another all this time? If this was the case, then I'd stay FAR FAR FAR away from this RDM.

Comment

Maat is a solo fight, anyone worth any degree of knowledge on MMORPGs would know solo fights vs. party fights play out totally different. So if a person is a skilled party fighter and hardly ever practice solo fights of course they'll get their head handed to them every time by Maat.

The only advantage of the solo fight is it helps a player to assess their setups strengths and it's weaknesses. The weaknesses of the setup with each try will become painfully obvious, many of the setups you'd use in a solo fight you'd never use in a party.

Perfect example RDM/NIN is suppose to be a godly solo combination. In a party that it's expected to be a support the /NIN becomes a weakness to his party assigned task. Say for some wild reason the RDM/NIN is choosen as the tank then the /NIN becomes an assest to his assigned task.

Party vs. Solo is stupid to compare a person's worth. Some people are just naturaly skilled party players yet suck big time if they have to do it solo.

Cheezy Test Result (I am nerdier than 96% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!)

Comment

And thats why if it takes a team you shouldn't go out and solo it for the person right? Yet, many high lvls do this all the time. If its a team effort, then the person should shout and shout and form a team on their own and find their way to the camping spot and kill it as a team. FYI, team in this game does not mean duo or trio, its a full 6 member+ team. So we are advancing people and not letting them meet the challange the way the game was intended to be played. Same if someone else beats the Maat fight for you. How about getting going out and solo'ing coffer keys for new players? How about leading them around and getting them an airship pass? Come on, seriously, the arguement holds no merit at all.
                            Originally posted by Feba
                            But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                            Originally posted by Taskmage
                            God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                            Originally posted by DakAttack
                            ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

patchingko is a negative trollanub.

however, yea the whole right of passage yadda yadda is irrelevant with knowing how to dispel etc. beating maat means nothing. its not any different from any other rdm that does it and i asure you that there are plenty rdm that having beaten maat and still dont know how to dispel promptly. or vice versa.

in short: you arent any more special for beating maat as rdm than someone who didnt need to.
                              Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
                              ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Working...
                              X