X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rdm Sub???

Greetings,

I am a RDM and I will shortly be looking to get a sub job.

What would you recommend as the best sub for a RDM.

I have been reading other threads and I have been considering going for BLM, how does this compare to SMN?

Re: Rdm Sub???

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/red...iscussion.html

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

The only thing smn really offers as a subjob is slightly higher mp and casting stats. Your summons will be capped at half your level, so they'll be useless as damage dealers, and you won't get any good blood pacts until at least level 40 or 50. At level 50 you get Auto-Refresh, which gives you 1 mp every 3 seconds. It will let you cast a little longer without resting, but imo is probably inferior to Conserve MP from blm.

I use blm as a sub mainly for Conserve MP, Warp, Escape, Drain, Aspir, and Frost. I have whm leveled also in case there is no other whm in the group because some mobs can't be fought efficiently without Curaga and status cures.

There's a sticky at the top of this page with lots of data and discussion about what sub is best for rdm.
      http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/red...lm.vs.sum.html
      lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

summoner is not a good subjob for rdm (i tried it. it's not a good sub)

go with either /whm or /blm. either one works well. i hear a lot of people on these boards recomend /blm, but i prefer /whm myself.

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
        Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
        I live to entertain!

Comment

Also, don't forget /BRD after level 50. You'll be able to get 1 more MP a tick from Mage's Ballad, and you can also cast some minor melee buff songs on the melees. Most people don't even think about this sub for their RDM, but from what I've had experience with in parties, it's a good sub.
          Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
          90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

not until level 50. before then, sub a mage job, but not summoner please

ionia of Cait Sith! 75 RDM, 75 THF
            Plotting World Domination and doing silly emotes on a server probably not near you!
            I live to entertain!

Comment

Originally posted by aegina
              not until level 50. before then, sub a mage job, but not summoner please
              Yah, seems nothing can beat the old standby subjobs. You can go with weird combos in experienced groups or with friends, but I suggest to listen to aegina. You'd want to sub Black Mage, even in higher levels, because you have Escape and Tractor (Never know when that can come in handy) along with Drain and Aspir, which are always good in the 50s, leveling off of Robber Crabs and Beetles. Not to mention MP Conservation traits as well as bonus from healing for MP.

Subbing WHM is also good in high levels, due to having a lot of status curing spells and Erase, the most indispensible spell available to any healer, regardless if they're backup or main. Because of Erase, RDM/WHM can hold their own as a main healer for many different kinds of parties out there. Don't forget Cursna and other "nice" status curing spells.

I view all other subjob inferior unless you have complimentary jobs in your group to pick up your slack...

Comment

On the subject of subjobs. I am intrested in seeing how Blue Mage will relate as a subjob. It would be an intresting factor to see how our Fast Cast would work with alot of the abilities it seems to use, and how these monsters skills will be limited to prevent us RDMs from becomming even more god like with their use (Such as skill levels perhaps)

Art done by Fred Perry.

Comment

Subjobs are situational. Subs like /smn and /brd shouldn't be used before lvl 50. There just isn't much benefit to them when compared to other subs. After lvl 50, if you've lvled up several differnet subs, then you are prepared for anything. Just be informed on what jobs are in your party and what mobs you're going to kill and then choose the right sub for the situation. Once you get to lvl 74, you'll be looking at endgame and should also have dark knight sub lvled up. Chainspell + Stun = Godly!
                  Originally posted by Feba
                  But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                  Originally posted by Taskmage
                  God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                  Originally posted by DakAttack
                  ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Since level 1 red mage my taru subbed bard.

I havent had more fun or easier battles with any other job.

But to answer your question, black mage is a better choice over summoner.
                    `\~*~/`Life is a Dream, Death is the Alarm Clock`\~*~/`

Comment

Well no ones saying that subbing it isn't fun, the point is that there are other subs that are more useful to the pt in the lower lvls.
                      Originally posted by Feba
                      But I mean I do not mind a good looking man so long as I do not have to view his penis.
                      God I hate my periods. You think passing a clot through a vagina is bad? Try it with a penis.
                      Originally posted by DakAttack
                      ...I'm shitting dicks out of my eyeballs in excitement for the next bestgreating game of all time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGrandMom
                        Well no ones saying that subbing it isn't fun, the point is that there are other subs that are more useful to the pt in the lower lvls.
                        I know. I was just saying in my own experience. I subbed whitemage for a few levels in the 10's and couldn't stand it myself. The only use is Divine Seal which is only useful for Converting > Divine Sealing > Curing yourself. Or if you already dont have a white mage in the party. I subbed summoner for levels 34-35 and the only use i found was a little more MP. My blood pacts did little to no damage. or atleast it wasnt notable. I subbed Black mage in the 40s for a bit. This, I have to say, was more exciting for me than the others. Drain, Aspir were both life savers and the nice magic boost was more than welcomed. Not to mention the Magic Attack Bonus.

The majority of the time i subbed bard though. I proved to be more than effective with madrigal and threnodys during the fight. Madrigals Accuracy bonus works for all of your melee while Frost gives a minor Agility debuff on the one mob. I've noticed that accuracy measures higher than Agility. Threnodys also helped En-spell damage and even more MB damage. I never had too much dificulty sticking threnodys because i implimented equipment switching macros (what red mage doesn't?) Toss a small Paeon after tha battles for an extra HP a second and downtime is reduced somewhat.

I do admit the is a more difficult job combination to play, however. There is ALWAYS something to be cast and the mob doesnt seem to wan to live long enough for you to cast all your spells. But as long as you arent neglecting your #1 red mage duties (i.e. Slow, Paralyze, Blind) this is a supirior and overlooked sub job.

All the above is based on my own observations and experiences as a Tarutaru redmage.

Comment

Can't say I totally agree with almighty_boof's position, since there are times when having Divine Seal or status removal can be handy, but I've also used RDM/BRD quite effectively. In areas where you don't need Paralyna, Blindna, Poisona, or Elemental Seal, I really like /BRD - in fact, I still prefer it at level 62 over /BLM or /WHM, and the only reason I think I'd go back to using /BLM or /WHM is if there's a main bard or there's a desperate need for Erase.

Paeon I is weak but can be useful for saving MP on your main healer, and Madrigal (even without instruments) is still pretty effective at making melee attacks hit more often. Not to mention they don't cost MP.

Icemage

Comment

I've always looked up to you Icemage ^^

Comment

All subs pretty much have a use, some better than others.
                              BLM and WHM are the most popular, and the most useful, but BRD has also come to into play post-50 and proven very effective. Anyway a short rundown basically goes like this:

WAR: Good for soloing, going for DEF approach, probably most effective in Ballista. berserk and warcry would boost your attack for WS, and defender, provoke, and DEF traits can help you tank. Also can get Vorpal Blade with this sub, very nice WS. Double Attack is one of the coolest traits in the game. :p Occasionally doubles your attack, which can kick in on WS, and activates fairly frequently.

THF: Great for farming and camping, SATA is fun for "cheating" to get a high number WS. Flee is awesome if you're as impatient as me, and the evasion bonus traits are nice.

BLM: Probably the most popular sub, nice MP and INT boosts, warp, escape, sleepga, drain, and aspir are incredible spells to have, Conserve MP is highly noticeable and helps. Also the elemental enfeebles (which some seem to disregard these days) Can prove to be very useful. And Elemental Seal is helpful when you -need- to stick that Sleep or Bind.

WHM: Another great sub. Good MP and MND boost, The -na spells are useful, especially when main healing. Auto-Regen at RDM50/WHM25, not really worth mentioning imo. Divine Seal helps incredibly for a fast DS + Convert + Cure IV for all your HP back. At RDM64/WHM32 you can get Erase which is incredibly helpful, again especially if main healer.

MNK: eh, nice HP boost, not much to say 'cept....no.

BRD: This rather new sub is pretty neat, Post-50 Ballad can help in a heavy mage PT, or manaburn, hunters prelude or minuet can help an arrowburn PT, even pre-50, /brd is good, Madigral is awesome, It's +9? (Correct me if i'm wrong) accuracy.

BST: I don't have much experience with this, i'm sure someone can fill this in, This thread is helpful, posted back last January. http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/red...st.thread.html

DRK: DRK is popular for endgame fights, you can stun. chainspell + stun can literally keep a mob immobilized for 30 seconds. Also, this sub is fun for soloing and messing around. You can use vorpal blade with this sub and popping a Souleater + Last Resort + Vorpal Blade if very powerful, and you get attack bonus traits for this sub. The Absorb spells and drain and aspir are nice to have as well.

DRG: Many spit on this sub, but it's not that bad, Jump and Super Jump are pretty powerful, There's an accuracy bonus at lv30 (RDM60/DRG30), and more important the latent effect items only in effect when /drg, like the Wyvern Earring gives Haste+5%

NIN: Another great and popular sub, it gives more survivablity, with utsu: Ichi and Ni, you can outlast IT mobs. Dual Wield is nice to have, but not much bonus till lv25 (RDM50/NIN25) when you get DW2. Also looks sweet when dual wielding with enspell. :p

PLD: I haven't had much experience, but the DEF up abilities and HP/MP bonuses look to be not bad. Flash also comes into play since we have Fast cast traits we can cast it more often than PLDs, can also get Vorpal Blade with this sub.

RNG: I like this sub, at lv59 we can get access to Sidewinder, a very powerful WS. We can easily get +30-40 ranged accuracy, and with sushi, you can still hit T-VT mobs, also at lv10 and 30 they have Accuracy Bonus traits, and at 5 sharpshot, and 30 barrage, at lv60 we can unleash barrage > sidewinder for quick powerful damage.

SAM: Store TP and Meditate can help for faster Spirit's Withins, Third Eye is pretty lame since it's only 1 shadow. I'd probably put this up next to MNK as a ...no.

SMN: A pretty popular sub, nice bonuses to MP/INT/MND,. It also can be nice for spamming AoE Blink.
                              Auto-Refresh is 1 mp per tick, same as Ballad, but only for you. Ballad > Auto-Refresh. Aerial Armor is about the only useful BP we get from sub. I do want to try Cyclone > Camisado Gravitation > MB Drain for fun though. /smn is a neat toy but as far as I see almost strictly inferior to /brd in exp pt, and entirely useless before level 50.
                              Also can do Savage Blade > Poison Nails I think, distortion. Mb with blizzard II/III fun.

Meh, I probably forgot some stuff. Hope that helped. I'm looking forward to Corsair, Puppetmaster, and Blue Mage as new fun subs.

Edit: put some more information (and the same stuff into better context), it was early shh. Stole some stuff from Taskmage's post down below, Hope you don't mind. XD
                              Last edited by Squerril; 03-26-2006, 06:04 PM.
                              Squerril
                              Caitsith

Comment

Working...
                              X