This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rdm/whm

is rdm/whm good cuz i think they do... when rdm is lvl 15 and i can be main healer cuz i can cast fast cuz traits update new wit fast cast... i think it will be good..
    Lilorange:cool_shad

Re: rdm/whm

Originally posted by lilorange23
    is rdm/whm good cuz i think they do... when rdm is lvl 15 and i can be main healer cuz i can cast fast cuz traits update new wit fast cast... i think it will be good..
    Fast Cast trait at level 15 RDM is hardly noticeable at all. It's 5% speed boost, which, considering your longest casting spell at that level is Cure II, results in maaaybe 1/10th of a second shaved off your casting time.

Nothing wrong with RDM/WHM, by the way. I think it's by far the most party-friendly subjob from the 12-21 level range. But it's not because of Fast Cast.

Icemage

Comment

After you get convert. Divine Seal is a nice way to save MP after. I see /WHM more and more in parties.
      Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
      90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

Red mage with all those abilities is almost a complete job, with a whm sub it can be only boosted.
        Signature, ah!

Comment

WHM is the prefered sub pre-40. BLM just doesnt offer you much before that. -na's, -ra', curaga's, far outwheight the benefits of a few Elem. Enfeebles.

Post 40, its a different game. Conserver MP can save you A LOT of MP, before you really notice it. I subed BLM for most of my playtime, and when I finaly switched back to whm at 64 (Erase), I truely missed the utilities. However, the lack of Conserver MP was more than noticable. Convert's started to get stretched pretty thin, and I evenually stoped using 1hr, or 3hr foods, and started using cookies, for HMP+5.

To this day, i regret not lvling whm further, sooner. It really makes a for a valuable sub from 1-75.
          Alauna >> : yea.. what do TC majors do, anyways?
          >> Alauna : we are capable of doing lots of things, but aren't really experts in anything :-p
          Alauna >> : oh, so your a RDM?
          >> Alauna : yeah...

Comment

http://www.ffxionline.com/forums/sho...age=2&p=473327
            Originally posted by Taskmage
            I used whm as my sub as I planned up until level 34. From 10-23 I feel it is definately the superior choice. I did a lot of my early leveling in the Maze of Shakhrami hunting worms, so naturally having Barstonra in the party was a must. In the Dunes, a 12rdm/6whm can make a party possible if no white mage is available, since Poisona is such a must against lizards, but the whm sub really shines at 14 when rdm gets Cure II naturally and the sub gives Protectra. From this point forward a rdm/whm can fully replace a whm against most exp mobs. The first exceptions you'll find are Damselflies and Gobs. These guys have nasty AoE attacks that seriously extend your downtime without the convenience of Divine Seal+Curaga. If you're unlucky enough to see 3 or more Cursed Sphere or Bomb Toss in the same fight ... rdm has no tools to ensure the safety of everyone else in the party in that unfortunate situation.

In the mid-20s things get less clear cut. Level 24 presents the first real reason you might want to start subbing blm: Drain. Drain is a pretty MP efficient damage spell with the added benefit of healing you for the amount of damage it does and raising your probably neglected dark magic skill. Especially at later levels this is an immensely powerful soloing tool, so you might as well start training it now.

At 25 all the white mages around you will get Raise, which will drop your desirability as a main healer considerably, but you can still work as one quite effectively as long as you don't let anyone die. You weren't going to do that anyway, right? Protectra is as good as it gets right now and Barwatera will occasionally dull the death-dealing capacity of the dreaded Screwdriver. Since you're still probably fighting on the front lines at this point, there's no reason you can't save the whm the trouble of running up and casting those spells.

At 27 a full-fledged whm will get Protectra II, while only Protect II will be available to you. This is really just enough of a disadvantage to be a nuisance. If your party has 2 members that regularly get hate, it's still easy enough to keep them Protected but it'll cost you twice as much MP and a little more attention. If your party isn't that good at controlling hate and more people regularly get hit, well ... sucks for you.

26-33 in Elshimo presents few new choices. At 32 you will finally gain the ability to do DS+Curaga, just after whms get Curaga II. Generally the former is still adequate and the latter is a waste of MP at this point. Goblin Smithy are another exception to rdms being just as good main healers as whms, since whms will have Barfira in addition to DS+Curaga, and you won't get either until you're about ready to leave the jungle.

From 34 on I used blm sub almost exclusively. Why? Warp. This spell is just too convenient. Against beetles, which will likely be over half of your leveling fodder for at least the next 20 levels, the status curing, group healing, and element shielding abilities that whm sub affords are useless, so go with your personal preference. Nowadays there are alternatives to subbing blm for Warp, but why pay 1k per charge of a Warp Cudgel when you can get it for free without impairing your party?

Frost at 44 is worth noting. If you're subbing blm and don't have a blm in your party (or don't have one that knows to use it), it'll be your job to keep this on the mob. Frost does slip damage and lowers agility, meaning the mob will dodge less and your pt members will hit more consistently. Better accuracy means better damage and also faster tp, which translates into more skillchains and more opportunities to MB for you. Of the elemental debuffs, this is widely regarded as the most useful in terms of boosting party effectiveness.

Some exceptions:

If you get a rare party that fights Gazers in Eldieme, bring whm sub. Three reasons. 1) It's vitally important to keep these mobs Silenced at all times. The extra bit of MND you get from /whm will help that some. 2) Inevitably Silence will get resisted at a bad time at least once, and something nasty like Thundaga will sneak through. When that happens, DS+Curaga is a chain saver. 3) About 50% of the time, they will use the WS Hex Eye. This inflicts extremely strong paralysis. It's very hard for a tank to maintain hate when thier vokes and Cures keep getting interrupted by para, so heal it asap.

Crawler poison is a terrible annoyance. If nobody else in your pt has whm sub, bring it for Poisona. CN is a short walk from Jeuno anyway.

When you get up to fighting Antica, use whm sub. Like the Gazers, these guys need to be kept Silenced and have nasty AoE. Their WSes are even worse than the Gazers' because they do nasty AoE damage AND a nasty status effect (Blind or Silence).

---

I've only gotten to level 48rdm, so this is as far as I can advise based on experience. Based on my time as blm and whm, I'd say the utility of Aspir and Escape will probably keep me using /blm in the majority of experience parties, though I could see switching to /whm against certain mobs for Cursna, Erase, and other status cures.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

ah yes, another tradegy that could have been adverted had you used the search function...

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

Amazing. A thread that actually convinced me to consider leveling my WHM, which I never really had any interest in, until now.

Comment

Whm sub is simply the best support you can give. Other than the slightly more mp efficient sub of /blm, and maybe escape, it just doesn't give your PT much.

Status cures, curaga, bar-ga (we're much better than smn with our enhancing mag), convert+DS+cure4, erase, etc is just too many extra tools we get to pass up. It's also the only way I know of to raise devine skill with banish. >.>

Comment

I went rdm/whm to around mid 30s - purely because I had whm levelled a little bit if I'm honest, but since then I've gone rdm/blm or when needed for stun rdm/drk. It's only now I'm even levelling whm and then it's only in little short chunks because well, to be honest, the job makes me want to cry I hate it so much.
                    Cesaria ~ Midgardsormr
                    RDM75/BRD75/BLM75/SMN49/WHM37/DRK37/MNK31/WAR18/BST12

Always remember - no matter how high you level, there is always a bunny somewhere in Vanadiel that can kick your ass.

Comment

i just loved elemental seal + sleep. it saved me too many times
                      TaruKabob <Can I have it>

Comment

it's situational. But as a RDM/WHM I'm very very helpful when it comes to NM hunts in a small group ^^
                        There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
                        but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
                        transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Well I'm always in a party with a smn/whm or blm/whm who don't mind status healing and protectra/shellras (Yeah of course I give the tank(s) the current protect/shell) So I always use me blm sub

Comment

I shudder to think of being at a lack of Chainspell+Warp or Chainspell+Escape. But against skeles, keeping your /WHM up to date is invaluable for helping the main healer take a load off.

Comment

Well it all depends on what your party needs at the time. If they need a main healer and you are the only choice then i say sub whm just for the ga and ra spells. otherwise if there already is a whm then i say sub blm. that way a rdm can use their true abilities like emfeebling. Plus you gotta love the benefits of more mp and conserve mp. So my prefered choice is subbing blm.

Comment

Working...
                              X