X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit your B****ing and read this!

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.h...84089368&num=5
    Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
    90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Re: Quit your B****ing and read this!

what a friendly way to post a thread. good job.

peacemaker already posted the same info. just no illustration
    http://ffxionline.com/forums/showthr...2&page=3&pp=10
    There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot,
    but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence
    transform a yellow spot into the sun.

- Pablo Picasso

Comment

Originally posted by Jei
      what a friendly way to post a thread. good job.

peacemaker already posted the same info. just no illustration
      http://ffxionline.com/forums/showthr...2&page=3&pp=10
      Lol, sorry, all I've heard is RNGs crying about the nerf for the last 2 days. Only one RNG has actually TRIED to find the optimum distance that I know. Which is why I will be doing RNG, because now takes even more skill to play RNG.

I didn't know Peacemaker posted this information already, but I think the illustrations will help.
      Rodin - Ragnarok Server (Out of Retirement)
      90BRD 90SMN 90WHM 75BLM 75RDM 61BST 50RNG 37NIN 37THF

Goal: All jobs max level and capped merits.

Comment

christ, what's with everyone saying "skill to play rangers"?

what is this "skill"? looking for the sweet spot? A blind monkey can find the sweet spot if you give him time.

I already found the optimum distance for all of my weapons. Too bad you don't get the luxury of actually testing to see if you're right in a BCNM or CoP missions where everything requires flawless execution or its a wipe. When mobs are on the constant move and you're taking 5 seconds to shoot a bullet anyways, lots of things change and its nothing anybody can make up with skills alone. The game mechanics are fundamentally different, and you can only stick to playing by the rules.

Comment

Yea, finding the "sweet spot" is the least of your problems, most rangers have already figured that part out. However, thanks to the new range accuracy system, now you have approximately 20-25% or higher chance of missing the target compared to before, including Eagle Eye, from the bow and crossbow "sweet spot", if you shoot from the gun optimal range, like a mile away, you have an even higher chance of missing.

The only distance that you have the same accuracy as before the patch is point blank, in which your damage is down by 30% or so. The worst part of this is, when/if you stand away to do WS and your WS hits the mob (assuming it actually does decent damage), the mob will run to you, and messes up PT formation – not to mention, how many leveling areas are wide open rainbow flying pastures where you can casually wander into the distance without aggroing other mobs or standing against a wall where your camera angles are all messed up?
          Last edited by peacemaker; 07-21-2005, 11:26 PM.

Comment

So... you're accuracy is that of any other damage dealer. Welcome to the club.

Comment

the real weakness on rng is that he needs to understand and predict how the monster will move, and that requires skill: by knowing who is grabbing most hate and by knowing who has an ammount of hate that makes the mob move constantly he needs to position himself to deal the big numbers, forget the dagger skillups and 'extra' tp, that's past, now youll be joining the mages in their 'silent battles', and Black Mages will now probably deal the most damage in game, SO THERE! =P
              signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I wonder if people will start to consider Dragoons over Rangers. Maybe I should put out a pamphlet on how to capitalize on the strengths of Dragoons. Now that there isn't a single be all end all we've got room some room to shine.

Comment

lol no matter how nerfed rangers get they are still better then DRG in exp pt ;P

I tested my range attack in s gustaberg, using gun,

4: Furthest Distance
                  3: Medium Distance
                  2: Optimal Distance (if you were close you could hit the monster with axes/daggers)
                  1: So close that you can melee with you axes/daggers

*tested on lvl 1 bees*

1: 315 DMG average
                  2: 520 DMG average
                  3: 470 DMG average
                  4: 440 DMG average

<mob> 1 2 3 4

these were mutible test, each i test about 10 times, using almost a stack of silver bullets ;;

So, I don't know if this relates to Massives theory but this is easier to find the "sweet spot" while engaging the monster.
                  In the moonlight, your face it glows.. like a thousand diamonds, I suppose.
                  And your hair flows like.. The ocean breeze...
                  Not a million fights could make me hate you, you’re invincible.
                  Yeah, It’s true.
                  It’s in your eyes, where I find peace.

[I love you, Rebecca :D!]

Comment

hmm, Tipsy your findings seem to contradict others on the behavior of guns. every other account i've read up til now says gun optimal is 4.

Thanks Yyg!

Comment

guys sub WAR ;o. Not like you will be pulling hate w/o it.

Comment

Contrary to what people think, the optimum range of gun isn't 4.

Gun's sweet spot is a bit further away than a bow's is, which makes sense because bows are meant to be shot in an arc IRL. It is by no means, the furthest away possible range. I haven't hit a single shot at the furthest range even on EPs yet.

Predict how the mob moves? That's just stupid. Nobody can predict when one of your pt members might decide to suddenly throw out a cure IV, if your tank suddenly DC or stop using voke and flash, when your blm suddenly throws out a thundaga3 on top of tank stop voking... see where I'm going here? And just try to predict where kirin's going after a magic burst, or whether your tank's going to take a detour around one of the pillars. There's an infinite amount of variables to consider, and you want the rangers to read into the future to decide where the mob will be 5 seconds from when you press ctrl-d?

riiiight.

Comment

Originally posted by poweryoga
                          Predict how the mob moves? That's just stupid. Nobody can predict when one of your pt members might decide to suddenly throw out a cure IV, if your tank suddenly DC or stop using voke and flash, when your blm suddenly throws out a thundaga3 on top of tank stop voking... see where I'm going here? And just try to predict where kirin's going after a magic burst, or whether your tank's going to take a detour around one of the pillars. There's an infinite amount of variables to consider, and you want the rangers to read into the future to decide where the mob will be 5 seconds from when you press ctrl-d?

riiiight.
                          Waaah. Try doing the same as a bard with an 8 second song. Bards have been doing all of the above for quite a long time while keeping track of *5* moving targets, and yet people still manage to do it.

Is it hard? Sure.

Is it possible to guess right every single time? Of course not.

Does it get easier with practice? Definitely.

Besides, it's much more realistic to say that it's harder to hit a moving target. In this respect, at least, I think the changes have brought rangers closer to reality. I happen to think the damage was overnerfed slightly, but that's a different issue.

Icemage

Comment

No more crt-D of death so to say...

No more trick buddy, so thieves are back to assassin style.

Comment

Originally posted by neighbortaru
                              hmm, Tipsy your findings seem to contradict others on the behavior of guns. every other account i've read up til now says gun optimal is 4.
                              What's the name of that Psychology term? ...the one that states that if you expect a particular outcome, you're more likely to see it that way because of bias. Tipsy seems to have tested this with a fairly significant sample size.

My static rng was experimenting during our PT and said that the sweet spot for xbow and guns felt like "2", 1 step outside of melee range. It might be worth noting that melee range can actually be a good 2-3 steps away from the mob. Bow seemed to have a sweet spot that's further away, around postion "3."

For him, finding the sweet spot was simple. Engage, then step back until you get "target is too far away" for melee attacks. Take one more step and you're in the sweet spot.

And you CAN still use rng as a trick partner, you just need a little bit more skill and positioning awareness. If you're firing a gun or xbow, then the mob will only move about 2 steps to get to the rng, at which point you can plant SATA. It's actually more fun for me as the thf ^^
                              Last edited by Drogen_Shomuro; 07-22-2005, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X