/pup? pros/cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /pup? pros/cons?

Just like the title, what are the pros and cons of having a sub puppet master? If it's a sub job, is your puppet weaker stat-wise? What vital abilities do you lose that are beneficial in higher lvls?
    I'm asking because i've never heard it discussed as a subjob before kinda like how beastmaster was never really considered good until people finally realized that it is in fact a good subjob too.

Re: /pup? pros/cons?

It's widespread knowledge that /PUP is pretty good generally up to Lv.10. Beyond that, though, I know of this:

White Mage perspective: How to /PUP.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Ita is completely correct on that note. /PUP is very helpful getting to level 10, especially if it's geared enough with attachments (stoneskin, flash, maybe even some of the frames).

However, after level 10 (as your main job level), the differences in skills for /PUP become apparent. It most certainly is viable if you plan on soloing, and on that note, Evasion Bonuses are not a bad thing. However, as a practical sub for a party-job (like any kind of mage or party-oriented melee), there are many better alternatives. This, of course, gets more true post-20, which is when I would stop considering /PUP on a regular basis.

It's really an interesting topic, though -- one I think you should look into. Just remember that the puppet's skill is capped at the puppetmaster level (a 20DRG/10PUP's puppet will have level 10 skills).
      Kindadarii (Bahamut)
      90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
      70.3 + 2 Woodworking
      52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
        It's widespread knowledge that /PUP is pretty good generally up to Lv.10. Beyond that, though, I know of this:

White Mage perspective: How to /PUP.
        That sure was a long article ; ; but i read through it all! So sub PUP... they say it's only good for low lvl things, and i guess i can understand that, but i still see some interesting possibilities for this job.
        Which brings me to my next question... if was a bst/pup, could i have a charmed or jug pet out at the same time as my puppet? I wonder if the puppet is considered a pet like a summoner's summon is so i can't have both out. I've never seen it before, so i'm doubtful, but i'm still curious. I want someone to tell me the rules for this directly.

Comment

Nope. Both count as a pet and you can only have one pet out at a time.

Comment

10? Solo to 20 if you want, its very doable. Depending on your main job selection ofcourse. AND it might take longer than if you just partied, but sometimes, I prefer to avoid valk.
            signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Howler View Post
              Nope. Both count as a pet and you can only have one pet out at a time.
              I thought so...

Comment

What about as a tank with say a valor edge/storm waker, so it just slings cures up at you obediently? Would that be of help in a party?

Comment

The only pet-like entity that you can have in addition to a pet is an Adventuring Fellow (aka NPC).

Comment

...Which doesn't really answer the question.

Minding the bump, after 10-20, no matter what frame you use, the stats on the puppet get to be too low for any kind of practical purpose. Post 20, STR and ACC goes down for melee (valoredge and sharpshot) frames, and the MP pool dries up very fast for mage (stormwaker and harly) frames.

In addition, even with the soulsoother head, the most you'd ever be able to get is cure III and regen I at 75, and when you combine that with the fairly long casting time for a puppet, it's just not practical, especially when there are far more useful subs like WAR, MNK, DRG or even NIN for melees, WHM, BLM, SCH and in some cases SMN for mages.
                    Kindadarii (Bahamut)
                    90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
                    70.3 + 2 Woodworking
                    52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

Well, the valor head will always move the automation to the front (melee-range) and melee, and the stormwaker body is a mage frame with weak defense + low HP, plus when you /PUP, it puts the automation in subjob's level ... so basically from mid~high level when you /pup, that puppet's combination may die easily if the mob can use AoE attack.
                      Server: Quetzalcoatl
                      Race: Hume Rank 7
                      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

There's a 3 person assault you can do, with /PUP that use's a Technique called DAD or De-activate -> Activate -> Deploy. It's the one where you have to check upward's of 20 some odd Treasure chest's to find the correct one, and the other 19 are mimic's with Draw-in abilities. You do need the Flash Bulb attachment though

Example of how it works:

75RDM/1PUP activates their PUP once in the assault
                        Run's up to the chest check's it, it's a mimic
                        Deploy's their PUP with a light maneuver up and he instantly flash's the Mimic to get hate, while you run out of draw in range.
                        Before Flash wear's and your PUP takes Damage, you De-activate it.
                        The mimic can't chase you, and can't draw you in, so it re-vert's back to a normal old chest.

It's a Tad more complex than that, but this is the main jist of it, and I may have gotten the attachment wrong.
                        That's probably the only reason I could ever see a high lvl job subbing /pup.

Comment

Originally posted by ShepardG View Post
                          There's a 3 person assault you can do, with /PUP that use's a Technique called DAD or De-activate -> Activate -> Deploy. It's the one where you have to check upward's of 20 some odd Treasure chest's to find the correct one, and the other 19 are mimic's with Draw-in abilities. You do need the Flash Bulb attachment though

Example of how it works:

75RDM/1PUP activates their PUP once in the assault
                          Run's up to the chest check's it, it's a mimic
                          Deploy's their PUP with a light maneuver up and he instantly flash's the Mimic to get hate, while you run out of draw in range.
                          Before Flash wear's and your PUP takes Damage, you De-activate it.
                          The mimic can't chase you, and can't draw you in, so it re-vert's back to a normal old chest.

It's a Tad more complex than that, but this is the main jist of it, and I may have gotten the attachment wrong.
                          That's probably the only reason I could ever see a high lvl job subbing /pup.
                          Just FYI, SMN and /smn can do that solo.
                          Red Mage ~ White Mage ~ Summoner ~ Black Mage ~ Beastmaster ~ Samurai ~ Paladin ~ Blue Mage

Windurst-Tarutaru-Ragnarok

Windurst: ★Rank 10★ | San d'Oria: ★Rank 10★ | Bastok: ★Rank 10★
                          Zilart: ★The Last Verse★ | Promathia: ★The Last Verse★
                          Aht Urhgan: ★Eternal Mercenary★| Assault: ★Captain★
                          Goddess: Fate In Haze | Campaign: Moonlight Medal
                          Crystalline: ★A Crystalline Prophecy (Fin.)★ | Moogle: ★A Moogle Kupo d'Etat (Fin.)★

Retired.

Comment

There are 12 chests, and there's also a similar version using /SMN and Garuda ... though there it's shadows and not flash. I do wonder if this would work for the "Saving Private Ryaaf" assault, that was ridiculously easy one time I went with a PUP...

Comment

Originally posted by Susurrus View Post
                              Just FYI, SMN and /smn can do that solo.
                              True strike, Pup or /pup can also, but I said three cause you need 2 other's to get into the assault. Ain't no thang I forgot to mention that it was doable with smn also.

Comment

Working...
                              X