Clear All

• Parade Gorget: A How-To Guide

[What is a Parade Gorget and Why Do I Want It?]

Parade Gorget
    [Neck] All Races
    Def: 5 MP+10
    Latent effect: Refresh
    Lv. 50 PLD/DRK

Latent effect activated by HP more than 85% of base HP + visible equip hp bonus.

The refresh effect is 1/tick but stacks with Paladin auto-refresh.

But..but..I'm a Taru with a Red Mage surgically grafted to one hip and a Bard spotwelded to the other!
    Ok, then maybe this item isn't for you. For the rest of us though having an extra source of mp can be a very handy thing. At the very least you can add it into a rest macro since most of the time you're resting you'll be above the hp mark to activate the latent.

[So How Do I Get One?]

Parade Gorget's drop off the Goblin Wolfman in Oldton Movalpolos. He, in turn, is spawned by trading a Goblin Drink to the Scrawled Writings which pop 1/15 minutes in one of 3 different spots in Oldton.

[First Things First - Getting the Goblin Drink]

The Goblin Drink is a crafted item. You can either: buy it from the Auction House under "Food->Drinks", craft it yourself or have someone craft it for you.

On Pandemonium, at the moment, it's selling for between 12-14k a drink. While technically you only need one, the drop rate on the Parade Gorget is only around 33% (my results: 2/6 on gorgets) so you'll probably want to bring a few along. I'd recommend 5-6 to be on the safe side though personally I brought 11 (to be on the ridiculously safe side).

If you want to craft it yourself, or have someone craft it for you, the recipes are:
    Cooking Skill: 80 (or 81 with Phanaeut newt)

1x Water Crystal

1x La Thiene Cabbage : available from the Zulkheim regional vendor, or Aveline in Raimbroy's Grocery in South Sandy when Sandy is 2nd place or higher or from the Cooking Guild Merchants - 21-26 gil

1x Frost Turnip : available from the Valdeunia regional vendor or Aveline in Raimbroy's Grocery in South Sandy when Sandy is in 1st place - 28-35 gil

1x Wild Onion : available from the Cooking Guild Merchants or drops off Goblin Thug mobs in most low level zones. On the Pandemonium AH they're selling for roughly 10k a stack today.

1x San Dorian Carrot : available from the Ronfaure regional vendor (aka Corua in South Sandy) or Aveline in Raimbroy's Grocery in South Sandy regardless of Sandy's place in the conquest. 28-35 gil

1x Watermelon : available from the Kuzotz regional vendor or from Scamplix in Rabao or from the Cooking Guild Merchants - 180-220 gil.

1x Distilled Water : available from any Tavern - 10-13 gil.

1x Gysahl Greens : available from any Choco stable - 61-74 gil

1x Elshimo Newt : drops off of Rivulet, Brook and Riparian Sahagin's in Sea Serpents Grotto. They all cap at level 48. Around 4,000 gil on the Jeuno AH on Pandemonium today.

- - Or...Instead of the Elshimo Newt you can use: - -

1x Phanaeut Newt : fishable with a Composite, Halcyon or Lu Shang's Rod in Carpenter's Landing or Phanaeut Channel with Fly Lure, Frog Lure, Lufaise Fly or Shell Bug as the bait. Around 1,500 gil on the Jeuno AH on Pandemonium today - though none for sale in days.
    So, aside from the Newt, all of the rest of the ingredients are easy to get. If Sandy is in 1st place Aveline at Raimbroy's is your 1-Stop-Shop for close to half of them.

For myself, I farmed the Newts off the Sahagin in Sea Serpent's Grotto. I went as Pld 72/Thf 18 and worked around the pond at J-12/K-12 on the first map http://www.ffxi-atlas.com/maps/sea_s...rotto/general/. In the space of about an hour, 9 Newts dropped. The Sahagin *love* to link but at Pld 73 it was a sleepwalk fighting 3-4 of them at a time. If you're trying to get this at 50 you'll want either higher level help with this step or a party who can manage a few under leveled links at a time.

One side benefit to farming the Newts this way -> the Sahagins you're targetting also drop the SSG Chest Key which can net you a map of the place. In the hour or so I was farming 3 keys dropped, though that may have been a fluke.

So, you've got the the ingredients. If you're cooking is high enough you can synth away. Mine was only 74, so I stopped by the Windy Cooking Guild and got Advanced Support. With that in place I had 2 breaks out of 13 synths for a total of 11 Goblin Drinks (I'd picked up 2 Newts earlier if anyone is keeping count). Overall a fairly standard success level, so if you're providing ingredients to someone else you shouldn't have to worry about too many failures. Also if you're farming/fishing and want 5 drinks in the end you should be able to stop at 6 or 7 Newts and be ok.

[Now..Where To Find That Goblin?]

Once you've got your Goblin Drinks, it's time to head to Oldton Movalpolos. http://www.ffxi-atlas.com/maps/moval...ldton/general/

This is the lower level of the two Movalpolos zones. The highest level mobs (apart from the NMs) are the elementals which spawn up to level 50. The rest of the mobs spawn between the mid 30s to the mid 40s.

The Goblin Wolfman is spawned by trading the Goblin Drink to "Scrawled Writing". The "Scrawled Writing" pops in 15 minute intervals at one of three spots:
    I-9 : There are 2 tunnel/paths that go through I-9. The Scrawled Writing spawns in the one that's on the lower left edge of the square. The writings are on a blank section of tunnel wall just as you head south out of the open area. There are bats in the tunnel and Bugbears and Moblins to the north. The beastmen are far enough away that linking isn't a problem though.

I-11 : If you follow the path from H-11 to here, the writings are again on a blank section of the tunnel wall before it reaches the open area. Again, there are bats and bombs in the tunnel but the beastmen are far enough away that there's no linking issue.

G-13 : The green dot on the map marks, or is close to, the spawn spot for the Scrawled Writing. There is a Bugbear Servingman that spawns right at this spot. Bugbears and Moblins and Goblins usually link with each other so I didn't take the chance and made sure to kill him shortly before popping the Goblin Wolfman. The Bugbear's respawn time seems to be around 16 minutes so there's no danger of him respawning during the fight that way. Otherwise there's a decent amount of room to run around here.

As a note on these spots: For easiest access I recommend entering Oldton from North Gustaberg. You can get to them from the entrance off the Gusgen Mines, it's just a bit longer of a run that way.

[I Found the Scrawled Writing..It's Fight Time!]

The Goblin Wolfman is a level 50-55 Dark Knight type Gob. He spawns claimed and will use Absorbs (Vit, Agi, Str and Dex that I saw), Stun, Drain, Aspir, Bio and Tier II nukes. His hits are not particularly fast but they are decent (20-60 for me). As a 73 Pld he frequently missed a couple times in a row so spellcasting was a breeze.

He'll also use Blood Weapon, the Dark Knight 2hr. For me, he only used it once each fight, usually when he was at or a bit under 50% hp. While he's under the effect of Blood Weapon his speed and damage increase noticeably. Hits go from 40-60 to 100-120 (for a Pld at 73 with AF, normal tanking gear and Tav Tacos). Worse, every hit heals him back that much damage.

So, how to solo him? The key is to not get hit when he uses Blood Weapon. Nin or /Nin might be enough but an even simpler option is to kite him when he uses Blood Weapon. There's a short delay when he activates it that you can use to get a head start and all 3 spawn spots have plenty of room to run him around without picking up a link. If you've got it, you can toss Sentinel up too for extra security. Other than that it's a pretty straight up fight.

For reference here's how my battles went:
    Attempt 1:

Pld 73/Thf 18. Went with the uber gimpy Thief sub in the hope that TH1 would help the Gorget drop. Didn't have food, au Lait or a Juice with me though because, hey, a level 55 Gob should be no problem right? Apparently severe head trauma caused me to forget that this is FFXI where bunnies will murder you even if you're decked out in the finest end game gear the game has to offer. I was able to fight him down to the last dregs of health after having to recast Protect IV 15 seconds into the battle though so I wasn't that far wrong about him either.

Attempt 2:

Pld 73 / Whm 31. Brought Tacos, Yag Drinks and Pamama au Laits this time. Buffed up with Prot4/Shell3/Stoneskin/Blink, built up 100% tp on the Bugbear Servingman and gulped a Yag drink before popping him.

Recasting Blink and Stoneskin was pretty easy with his miss rate. Dia, Slow, Silence and Paralyze also stuck though it was tricky to land Paralyze and tricky to keep up both whm self buffs as well as the 4 enfeebles.

Kited him when he activated Blood Weapon by running back up north from the spawn spot at G-13 and then turning around when I got near the next beastman clump. He got in a couple of hits but nothing too major.

Vorpal blades were doing around 500 damage +/- 200 (aka the usual for a Too Weak mob).

Final total had him dead and me at about 1000/1300 hp and 120/400 mp (numbers are vague approximations).

Attempts 3 - 6

See Attempt 2, with the caveats of getting hung up on bats at one point which allowed the Goblin to hit 4 times with Blood Weapon (an unusual streak for him) and drop me to around 200 hp. Divine Seal + Cure4 fixed that up though.

In the 3rd attempt I also noticed that since he doesn't hit very hard usually it was advantageous to allow my hp to drop down into the 500-600 range to activate the refresh and regen latent on my Hercules Ring. If you have one it's a relatively safe tactic to use but with Juices not really required.
    While I was hunting for the 2nd Parade Gorget for a friend there was another pair of Paladins hunting as well. Level 75 and 70, both with /Nin. Their fights seemed to be straight forward butt kicking. I'm not sure if they bothered kiting him or just kept shadows up and smacked him around but when I found them at the end of one fight they were both near full health despite the Bugbear Servingman having linked on them.

If you're level 50 on the other hand? Well, this will be quite the adventure then. Almost everything in the zone will aggro to you at 50 and the Goblin will be a much more fearsome opponent. That he was able to hit me at all at 73 suggests that his accuracy will be excellent vs a level 50. If you go with a very solid party it might be doable but moving people around to the different spawn spots will probably still be a pain.

Added Bonus Fun!

For extra fun while you're in Oldton Movalpolos, you can bring along a set of Mining Gear and some picks. Why? Because running around to the different "Scrawled Writing" spawn spots will bring you past a number of different mining points. Ore's been climbing upwards in price lately so if you feel like profiting a bit more you might as well take a swing or two at them (With 11 Goblin Drinks to carry I skipped this step since pack space was extremely limited by then).

Also, while you're waiting for the next spawn, you can pick up on Key dropping mobs to get the map. I didn't see a Treasure Chest in my time running around but there's not much else in the Oldton chests so competition should be low.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

Re: Parade Gorget: A How-To Guide

Excellent guide. *applies some glue*

A few notes, speaking as a fisherman:

Elshimo Newts are also fishable in Yuhtunga Jungle (anywhere) or Yhoator Jungle (waterfall only). You need a heavy fishing rod (Mithran, Composite, Lu Shang's, or Ebisu) and I would recommend a minimum of 40 Fishing skill to catch this fish sucessfully, since Elshimo Newt has a skill cap of 59 Fishing. Recommended bait is Fly Lure.

If you're going to go fishing, though I strongly recommend going after Phanauet Newt. It is a level 4 fish, much easier to catch than the Elshimo Newt, and for most people it is easier to get to Carpenter's Landing (via the hatch in Northern San d'Oria) than to get to the Elshimo jungles. Recommended setup remains Composite rod and Fly Lure for the majority of players. It should be very easy to acquire as many as you'd like using this setup, in a short space of time.

Icemage

Comment

I think bringing a higher level Thf to this can really help. I haven't taken the time to do this but I was told stories of people striking out a bunch on this, getting a thief, and getting the drop easily. (I suppose this rule could go with any dropped item)

Comment

I'd also add the Writtings seem to spawn twice in each point and then move clockwise to the next.

I found this out while getting my gorget, and then it was confirmed by other times I went to help friends get their's. Unless it was just a huge coincidence that is.
        sigpic
        "In this world, the one who has the most fun is the winner!" C.B.
        Prishe's Knight 2004-Forever.

その目だれの目。

Comment

i did it With TH I 6 times no drob

anyone did it

did you bring high level THF ?

Comment

I did it with a 75 thf from my ls (who also crafted me the goblin drink) and we got the drop the first time. I think the time she did it for our pld it took a few attempts though.

Comment

It seems that a high level Thief can help - most of the stories where people had one along seem to go like Nazo's with the gorget dropping early.

That said though I think you just had a run of bad luck with the drop Dr J. I fought him 6 times and got 2 drops, one for me and one for a friend, so he really should have dropped at least 1 for you.

If you can get a level 45+ Thief to come with you by all means go for it. If not that though I'd say just try a few more times and he should cough one up, hopefully.

Comment

We did this for my girlfriend who plays PLD, her RDM friend who is leveling DRK, and his high level PLD lsmate. I went as my normal self, 55 THF/nin

3/6 on Gorgets

Comment

My only problem getting this item was competing with a party of lvl 75's who ran through the area at times grabbign the scrawled writing while I attempted to use my item to pop the NM.

So far 0/3 on the gorget.
                  75PLD 42RNG 41WAR 41WHM 32THF 49NIN 35SAM 37BLM 20SMN 35DRG
                  Rank 7 Windurst

http://www.virtus-asura.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hilde View Post
                    My only problem getting this item was competing with a party of lvl 75's who ran through the area at times grabbign the scrawled writing while I attempted to use my item to pop the NM.

So far 0/3 on the gorget.
                    Use a macro to pop the NM:

/targetnpc
                    /item "Goblin Drink" <t>

(I think that's correct, try it on a real mob and it'll mention about you not being able to use the item on that mob if it is correct)

If you stand by the pop spot and don't have any other mobs in your view, just as the 15 min respawn time is approaching start spamming the macro and you should win .

Comment

i'll doit again with THF 70 THIII

maybe it'll help

but i saw DRK 75 died how did he die ?

and the only thing bothrings my the location of the mob changing

Comment

never once had a thf did this for every paladin and drk in my old social 24/27
                        [FFXI Journal][Pld][War][Nin][Drg][Rng][Brd]

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll154/xsev/orly.jpg

Comment

Last night I solo'ed this bad boy with my 65 rdm/nin. He hits hard, which I found out my second try, but if you know how to kite/DoT he goes down pretty easily. I was surpised how well my my bind and gravity stuck. My gear was pretty basic and I used sole sushi for food. I did bring 4 x-potion and a vilar for back up, which I did use. I kept him in the I-9 tunnel and would sneak a few hits as I would run by. He did kill me on the second attempt, but that was without any potions and sloppy kiting(defintely put me in check). He was down to 1/8 life bar and whacked me with Blood Weapon before Chain Spell+Utsusemi+SS could be used. >< I'll see how it goes tonight. I'll be attempting without potions again.
                          Last edited by Keon; 05-11-2007, 06:01 AM.
                          "Excellence is my presence, never tense, never hesitant."
                          - Christopher Wallace
                          "Even on the darkest nights, I have the heart to fight"
                          - Tupac Shakur
                          " A crowded dies a thousand deaths, a Solider dies but one." Only was to play...

Comment

I'd also add the Writtings seem to spawn twice in each point and then move clockwise to the next.
                            This does seem to be the case, that is exactly what happened when I went with some people to fight this NM.

Also, this NM isn't too bad and I think I might have been able to solo him as a lvl 66 drg/rdm, not 100% sure though but that was my impression.

The Elshimo Newts also drop from the Sahagins outside the SSG as well. They seem to drop from any of them outside, so I'd recommend just killing them all. You can also pick up a piece or two for that mermaid ring if you do that.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be misqouted and then used against you.

I don't have a big ego, it just has a large mouth.

Comment

Possibly an update: I got mine this weekend. Pop place is still every 15minutes, and moves clockwise, but it appears it only stays in a spot once, not twice.

And I'm 1/5 on it. Tried 4 times solo. Got nothing. Only 68 gil each time.

Came with friend who had TH4. Got it first drop.

Effing THFs... Ah well, he's soloable by RDM75, sub doesn't matter, just be careful and don't let him get too many free shots, because he can do upwards of 60-80 damage a hit.
                              The Tao of Ren
                              FFXIV LowRes Benchmark - 5011

If we don't like something, collectively, if our hatred for it throbs like an abscess beneath every thread, does that mean that they're doing something right?
                              Originally posted by Kaeko
                              As hard as it may be, don't take this game or your characters too seriously. I promise you - the guys that really own your account don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X