About to start up NIN...help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to start up NIN...help?

I left NIN at lv21, since I originally planned to use it to sub for WAR till 37. Well, now I've decided to actually level up NIN as it's a pretty interesting job. Doing so much at higher levels. Then as a SAM in a lv40 party, I saw this NIN deal MASSIVE damage to the mob with ninjutsu. I wanna do that.

So before I start, I've decided to get something straight. I want to level NIN as cheaply as possible. This means, I'm going to level my crafts to create my own ninja tools. Right now I'm starting on alchemy. What other crafts should I pick up? And should I save smithing/goldsmithing for last, since they cost so much?

Another thing, how did you all go about getting the scrolls for hojo/dokumori/etc? Fishing all that stuff seems a pain, but paying for them is out of my league. As said, Im trying to be as cheap as possible!

Re: About to start up NIN...help?

Get a good pile of Gil, first. That's my advice.
    Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
    yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
    Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
    leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

I don't know what the economy is like on your server, but on mine, unless you are tier III (51 above cap for recipie), you will be making a loss on tools for the most part. Certainly shihei, tabi and a couple of others. You are cheaper buying. Saurui-ran is pure loss, even if you HQ with us.

Quest as many of the scrolls as you can. If you have a high level job, you can farm the others. If you say it is a pain, then you are not trying to cheap it. The other option is spend the time farming to get them, especially if you would spend as long questing.

Nin is not a job you can cheap out - if you can't afford it, build up funds till you can.

Originally posted by Aksannyi
      "As a RDM, it should irk you to the depths of your soul when a mob had the audacity to buff itself in front of you."

Comment

Originally posted by Dwarkyzidez View Post
        Another thing, how did you all go about getting the scrolls for hojo/dokumori/etc? Fishing all that stuff seems a pain, but paying for them is out of my league. As said, Im trying to be as cheap as possible!
        Are you saying that buying the scroll itself off of the AH is out of your league? Because there's a middle route between the two options. Buy the items needed for the quest (rusty items) instead of fishing them up, and use the items to complete the quest.
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

It is resource draining, no matter how to slice it~

For example, if NIN is using lesser evasion gear (usually cheaper gear), he may end up using more Shihei:

Cheaper evasion gear -> less evasion -> more shadows are used -> more gil is used on Ninja Tools...

The same principle can be applied to other aspect of NIN tank too, like hate control, debuffing, damage output, etc:

More debuff on the mob -> weaker the mob -> easier to tank -> save more shadows...

More damage output -> mob dies faster -> less ninja tools are used...

Sloppy NIN tank -> sloppy party -> less exp over time -> spending more time in exp. party -> using more gil for ninja tools...

If there is no pay, then there is no gain.
          Server: Quetzalcoatl
          Race: Hume Rank 7
          75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

what about if your not tanking? Because I don't mind tanking all the time but I don't want to be the main tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodac View Post
              what about if your not tanking? Because I don't mind tanking all the time but I don't want to be the main tank.
              You don't mind taking all the time but don't want to be main tank? That doesn't seem to make sense, so I'll just advice you not play Ninja. Or Paladin. Better skip Warrior and Red Mage, too, just to be on the safe side.

- Mugaku

Comment

Ok, there is no need to be a smart ass with what I said, so let me clarify since I need to. I don't mind tanking sometimes in groups, but I don't want to be the real tank, ala the pt will need to have a warrior, or paladin with me, or even another ninja to do the tanking, I can do backup tank. That's what I was trying to say.
                Last edited by Zodac; 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

At low levels (under 60, I guess), NINs aren't great DDs without special setups. Under Lv.28, I'd even argue no setup exists which makes NINs good DDs.

If you don't want to tank, you best not level NIN. Otherwise, "Tanking no thanks" is tantamount to asking parties to let you leech. =/

- Mugaku

Comment

I see... well I appreciate you talking to me about it. I guess I could just make my own tools and quest for the scrolls to try and cut down costs. Thanks again.

Comment

On the plus side, as a NIN41, I have to say tanking on NIN had been exciting and fun. ^_^ I'll return to leveling it one day, when I can afford to do it right.

- Mugaku

Comment

Yeah I heard it eats up the gil. But if you make your own stuff doesn't that help alittle?

Comment

I know this thread has been dead for over a month, but I figure post here instead of make a new one on the same subject.

How much gil are we talking (estimated) to level nin to 37?

I have about 100k. Would that be enough? Considering I should get loot/crystals to vendor and ah along the way? Or is it significantly more?

Comment

I'd say you'd be looking at 100k in shihei alone, at minimum.

I personally go through around 6k hour in shihei, about about 2k an hour if I'm being kind when using Nin tools, when not playing as Nin/Rdm (if I'm playing Nin/Rdm, then my money/hour rate is not fluffy).

If you're looking to DD/hold hate, then you'll need to have skilled throwing and use shuriken for damage, and those are expensive, but great fun if you have the skill/r.acc gear to use them. That however just adds silly costs onto the deal.

If you're doing it on the cheap, assuming your server is similar to Midgards prices, I'd say look at around ~200k to get you to 37 (not including gear/spells).

Comment

Originally posted by Spinnthrift View Post
                              I'd say you'd be looking at 100k in shihei alone, at minimum.

I personally go through around 6k hour in shihei, about about 2k an hour if I'm being kind when using Nin tools, when not playing as Nin/Rdm (if I'm playing Nin/Rdm, then my money/hour rate is not fluffy).

If you're looking to DD/hold hate, then you'll need to have skilled throwing and use shuriken for damage, and those are expensive, but great fun if you have the skill/r.acc gear to use them. That however just adds silly costs onto the deal.

If you're doing it on the cheap, assuming your server is similar to Midgards prices, I'd say look at around ~200k to get you to 37 (not including gear/spells).

jesus thats alot. Thanks for the info. I'll be passing on ninja and corsair lol.

I been wanting to level corsair, but needed nin up to 37, but if nin is that expensive then it's not worth it. And I'm sure corsair is just as expensive.

I don't have a decent means for bringing in gil at a decent rate or really the time.

*edit*

Are you using /rdm as your main sub in party's too? or is that just for solo'ing?

Comment

Working...
                              X