Im new to ninja and aparently dont know what Im doing , help welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im new to ninja and aparently dont know what Im doing , help welcome

Ok well my ninja is level 13 or 14 and I was finally after all the trouble of fame....and the long wait for help getting utsumie...When I hit Level 12 someone was even kind enough to give me around 50 ninja tools . We had a PL and a tank already so I was fine and even when I did tank I didnt have to use utsumie (sp?) any way I had to log of course and when I got back on I joined a party and We had a PL to , I thought everything was ok....I did die 2 times but thats because I tanked wrong I supposed and then someone said I was pretty much useless without Utsumie. I had run low of the tools and only had 10 left so I was not using them ...and I still dont know how to use the tools properly anyway , SO before I know it Im pretty much given the option to disband or be kicked because they found 2 replacements...one for the mage that left...and aparently one for me one stated they called this " a two for one deal" Of course I was hurt and disbanded ....(to sensitive for my own good) and went to sandy hoping to get more tools. However Its a bad time for me to level ninja aparently because I only have like 18k so I would be able to afford one stack of tools and then ....that wouldnt last long. Im hoping my friend whos not only to rich for his own good , but a high level wood crafter can make me some tools, He already promised he would ..but in the mean time I need to understand how to use ninjitsu (sp?) properly so I dont get kicked in the future Any other tips are much apreciated , Keep in mind though my highest level is 32 theif and that I am leveling my ninja so that I can continue leveling my theif .

THank you for your time

Re: Im new to ninja and aparently dont know what Im doing , help welcome

Yeah, ninja is very expensive to level. The right way to use utsusemi is to have it on as much as possible, which usually means casting it every 30 seconds. Depending on the cost of shihei on your server, you can easily spend 18k per party blink tanking.
    lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

You can also start farming for your tools. It will definitely help.
      Farm grain seeds and sell them in Jeuno.
      Farm beechips in Giddeus also.

Take up alchemy, there are lots of ninja tools that are made from alchemy. Tsurara is the lowest one i believe. Check out the alchemy forums here. I made a fair bit of gil while leveling alchemy from 1-60 actually.

For tanking, its just timing your shadows. You get 3 shadows with Utsusemi, just count the number of times and time your next casting with a macro. Also have a macro that tells your party that your shadows are down. If you have another provoker in the party, have him provoke while you cast. Then provoke the mob as soon as you're good.

Comment

Back when I leveled NIN, I sort of kept track of how much I spent in ninja tools and shurikens. The amount of gil you need ends up increasing with your TNL. And that's not very surprising. Larger TNLs = more time needed in exp pties = more tools used.

I estimated that I spent roughly 3 gil per point of exp, and that was even after reaching a point where I was able to use Elemental and Enfeebling jutsus. Current prices are back down to around where they were back then. So I'd suggest using 3 gil per exp as a very rough estimate of what it will take to level NIN.

Originally posted by sirina View Post
        ...when I got back on I joined a party and We had a PL to , I thought everything was ok.... before I know it Im pretty much given the option to disband or be kicked because they found 2 replacements...one for the mage that left...and aparently one for me one stated they called this " a two for one deal" Of course I was hurt and disbanded.
        Don't be too shocked by this behavior in a PLed party. People bring along PLers because, in their perspective, exp-per-hour is far more important than the gaming experience. When someone invites you to their PLed party, it's not out of the generosity of their heart. They're only doing it because they think it will benefit them.

I'd suggest avoiding PLed parties altogether. After all, what's more important to you? Exp/hour efficiency, or actually being able to enjoy your time playing this game?
        Lyonheart
        lvl 75 WAR, 75 BST, 75 BLM, 75 NIN, 47 SCH
        Cooking 100.0+3+3, Culinarian's Signboard, Raw Fish Handling, Noodle Kneading, Patissier
        Fishing 60

Lakiskline
        Bonecrafting 100.0+3+3,
        Leather 60+2, Woodworking 60, Alchemy 60
        Smithing 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing 54.1, Cooking 11
        Boneworker's Signboard, Bone Purification, Bone Ensorcellment, Filing, Lumberjack, Chainwork

Comment

Well ninja is easily the second most expensive job (second to rng in my opinion), but it is a very fun job to play I think.

To properly use Utsusemi is to make a macro:
          /ma "Utsusemi: Ichi" <me>
          /recast "Utsusemi: Ichi"

This macro will do two things, first try to cast Utsusemi on you, and second, tell you how long you have to wait till the timer is up again. The trick I think in the early pre-Ni levels is getting 6 free hits in the beginning and timing recast between hits after that.

Ichi gives 3 shadows, so cast before engaging, and right as the mob is hitting for the third time to remove a shadow, start recasting for another 3 shadow. Then from there its a matter of waiting for the timer to count down and avoiding spell interuption.

The sad thing about the tools, is unless you are high level crafting them you really arn't saving that much money without HQing them, maybe saving a little. And woodworking doesn't make all the tools; clothcrafter, goldsmithers and others i believe also make some of the tools. Around level 40 when you get the :Ni level elementals you might be spending even more to spin the elemental wheel.

The one saving grace about ninja though i think, is its easier to farm with less downtime, so maybe save some time earning gil.

Just don't get discouraged and enjoy the job, and despite what ppl say a ninja doesn't have to tank, they are just as good as any other DD with the right equips in my opinion

Comment

Hmm, this is a tough question, because it also involves the player's goal, gil income, skill, determination, party support...

Since most players expect NIN/WAR to tank, even pre-level 37, even in Dunes (it can be done). Lets go over pre-level 37 NIN tank ^^

If the NIN tank's shadows is active, who should have the mobs attention?
            Answer: The NIN tank.

If the NIN tank's shadows are all stripped, who should have the mobs attention?
            Answer: It is debatable.

IMHO, NIN's skill + party cooperation is the key of success for pre-lvl 37 blink tanking. Before the party begins, the NIN and the back-up tank should work out a plan of when the NIN should have the mob's attention, and when the back-up tank should step in and tank.

A good back-up tank will count NIN's current active shadows, and provoke when all shadows is stripped, or provoke as soon as the NIN take damage. If the back-up tank is lack of experience, just kindly explain to him the plan, train him, tell him when to provoke. A macro like:

/p { Utsusemi } is NOT { ready! } { Please } { Provoke } <call11>

Can be very handly.

First thing, learn to count your shadows.

Second, try to have your shadows active as long time as possible.

The longer time you can keep you shadows up, the less Utsusemi: Ichi you need to re-apply to yourself, which means:
            1. Less Ninja Tools to spend, less gil to spend.
            2. Less MP is used on curing, less downtime, more exp. points, everyone is happy.

Tips: Evasion gear, Paralyze, Blind, Slow debuff on the mob.

Third, learn how to re-apply Utsusemi: Ichi without being interrupted.

Time the mob's attack frequency. If you got hit during 0% ~ 10% of Utsusemi casting, or during 90% ~ 100% casting, there is a good chance that Utsusemi is not interrupted. Timing is important. If you got hit during between 10% and 90% of your casting, you will be interrupted.

1. Capped Ninjitsu skill helps reduce the chance of being interrupted.
            2. Evasion gear, Blind on mob also helps because if the mob missed the attack, you won't be interrupted.
            3. Paralyze on mob is also great. Skipped attack means no chance of interruption.
            4. Slow on mob always help your timing. If the mob's time of each round of attack is longer than your Utsusemi: Ichi casting animation, enjoy blink tanking ^^

At last, you still can have your back-up tank to provoke and get the mob's attention for a brief moment. Use that precious time to re-apply Utsusemi: Ichi, and then get the hate back.

In the worst case, if your party fails to support you, let the hate go. Re-apply Utsusemi: Ichi when the mob is crewing on other party member(s). (I know this way is sux, but blink tanking with only Utsusemi: Ichi requires party support)

Last, and the most important point: Do not panic.
            Panic never helps you. It only make matter worst. Try not to make mistake. If mistake is made, do not give up.
            Last edited by Celeal; 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM.
            Server: Quetzalcoatl
            Race: Hume Rank 7
            75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

NIN is a job for,

A player with the gil to finance it

A player with the skill to blink tank and keep hate effectively

A player with the determination to suffer deaths and fools

I am a lvl 75 PLD and lvl 70, I have leveled many other jobs to a degree quite a few above 20, I level NIN because I love to tank. I find tanking to be challeging. If you have not tanked much as a WAR or a PLD, NIN will be hard.

There are more bad tanks in this game than there are good tanks. Holding hate and staying alive requires concentration, timing and an understanding of hate.

Do not bother leveling NIN unless you love the challenge of tanking. That is a NIN's job to tank and unless you are willing to sacrifice gil and put your best effort into being a good tank you are wasting your time, gil and effort.
              Last edited by Rai; 11-21-2006, 12:28 PM.
              Sergeant Major
              75PLD | 75NIN | 50RNG | 40BST | 37WAR | 37RDM | 35THF | 26SAM | 22MNK |
              22DRG | 22DRK | 22WHM | 20BLM | 11COR | 13BRD | 10BLU | 08PUP | 01SMN |
              Carbuncle | Diabolos | Fenrir | Garuda | Ifrit | Leviathan | Ramuh | Shiva | Titan

Comment

If you don't have a regular income, it can be difficult to pay for tools. In case you're wondering, it costs a level 75+ Woodworker with fully levelled alchemy(60) and 90+ Fishing(91+) roughly 3,000 gil to make 1 stack of shihei for Utsusemi. That's just counting material costs, and does not include getting paid for your time, or making any profit.

Up through level 37, assume that you'll be using 1 stack of 99 shihei per hour, plus anything you spend on sairui-ran (Kurayami), jusatsu (Jubaku) and kaginawa (Hojo), plus anything you spend on elemental ninjutsus.

The costs go up at 37+ but that shouldn't matter to you if you're just using Ninja as a subjob.

Icemage

Comment

Yeah Nin is a expensive job...its a job you might have to plan out before you start leveling it...i know i did. I farmed like crazy to afford 12 porcelin pots and a stack of tree saps for ores...after 4 mil later i decided to lvl nin. Its a huge benefit if you have a steady income, of whatever you want daily...I'm glad on fairy shihei is only 3-6k it likes to flucuate sometimes. Also when in norg buy as many tools you can from the vendors and sell them on the AH.

Keeping Purgonorgo Isle clothing optional sine 2004

Comment

Working...
                  X