Combo vs. One Inch Punch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo vs. One Inch Punch

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I've noticed that even against high def mobs like crabs I do a decent amount of damage (15~ per punch to IT clippers in Qufim compared to 25~ per punch to worms). Now, I have no idea what the defense of crabs are, and I couldn't find anything on ffxiclopedia, but I'm wondering if it's better to keep using combo against high defense mobs or to switch to one inch punch?

Keep in mind that up until right now, I've never used a meat mithkabob, but in the future I will never be in a party (that is functioning properly..) without using them. It'd increase my str by 5, and attack by about 25.

In case this is important, my gear and stats:

Republic Knuckles (Dmg: 6, Acc: 2, Att: 3)
    Merc. Hachi (Str: 1)
    Spike Neck (Str: 3, Dex: 3)
    Beetle Earringx2 (Att: 3)
    Power Gi (Str: 1)
    Battle Gloves (Acc: 3)
    Courage Ringx2 (Str: 2)
    Purple Belt (Str: 3, Haste: 4%)

The other pieces add no offensive stats, but at 25 my legs and feet will have attack. I have no idea what back to get.

I have 26+12 Str, 32+3 Dex, and 105 attack.

Edit: Also, is it odd that no group I've been in since some random level 11 group in the dunes on my warrior has attempted to skillchains/magic bursts? I'd really like to start doing these..
    25MNK/18WAR

Re: Combo vs. One Inch Punch

One Inch Punch is a horrible weaponskill.

It does technically ignore the target's defense, but the base damage is so low that you might as well use Combo for more damage even when the target has used a defense-booster like Coccoon or Scissor Guard.

Icemage

Comment

In general for exp. parties, most MNK stick to Combo, later alternate between Combo and Backhand Blow, then at level 40 replace Combo with Raging Fist, and then Howling Fist after level 60, Dragon Kick (lvl 65) for Skillchain, finally spam Asuran Fist at level 70+.
      Server: Quetzalcoatl
      Race: Hume Rank 7
      75 PLD, 75 SAM, 75 WAR, 75 NIN, 75 MNK, 65 BLU

Comment

It sounds like the ONLY thing One Inch Punch has going for it is the ability to form a Gravitation skillchain ... it's scarcely worth the trouble if you don't have a BLM magic bursting it, which is pretty rare these days.

Comment

It's a shame it's not very good, 'cause it looks awesome. @_@

I've never understood why there are "bad" weaponskills in this game, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Nataka View Post
            It's a shame it's not very good, 'cause it looks awesome.
            It looks horrible. FFXI's "One Inch Punch" doesn't look a thing like its namesake.
            Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
            yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
            Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
            leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Hah alright well thanks guys. I'll be sticking to combo then I suppose
              25MNK/18WAR

Comment

Originally posted by IfritnoItazura View Post
                It looks horrible. FFXI's "One Inch Punch" doesn't look a thing like its namesake.
                Ah good. A well thought out argument supported with fact and reasonability.

Or... this could be completely subjective and based on personal taste.

Just sayin'.

I, for one, like the way it looks. Reminds me of a noobish Final Heaven.
                :: Why can't this crazy love be mine? ::

SEVE - HUME WHM (31) BLM (19) THF (17) WAR (9) MNK (5) RNG (9) BLU (1) BRD (1) DNC (1) NIN (1) :: BAHAMUT

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato_Kai View Post
                  Ah good. A well thought out argument supported with fact and reasonability.

Or... this could be completely subjective and based on personal taste.
                  Haha. It's completely subjective, of course. ("Dogs make betters pets." "No, cats do!" "Wrong! Turtles!")

"One inch punch" doesn't involve a punch, at least not in the conventional sense; if you're making a typical punching motion, you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if it has any practical use except as a training exercise, but the "One inch punch" is about generating a powerful "punch" (can be a palm strike as well) without telegraphing or much apparent forward motion. As far as I can tell, the majority of the momentum is from an explosive (but abbreviated) body twist, and the fist doesn't travel more than 2-4(?) inches.

Oh, and it's blazing fast--nothing in common with the slow motion punch we see in FFXI.
                  Bamboo shadows sweep the stars,
                  yet not a mote of dust is stirred;
                  Moonlight pierces the depths of the pond,
                  leaving no trace in the water.

- Mugaku

Comment

Combo will generally hit harder than One Inch Punch in my travels, but use your Backhand Blow as that can deal out some nasty damage when timed right.

btw, keep those knuckles till 32 (you don't need anything else) then get Impact Knuckles @ 32. They're cheap and have good stats (dmg +8 str +1 acc +3 i believe) and only cost me 3k on Jeuno AH
                    | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                    2/5 WAR +2
                    Farsha(85)

Comment

Haha. It's completely subjective, of course. ("Dogs make betters pets." "No, cats do!" "Wrong! Turtles!")

"One inch punch" doesn't involve a punch, at least not in the conventional sense; if you're making a typical punching motion, you're doing it wrong.

Not sure if it has any practical use except as a training exercise, but the "One inch punch" is about generating a powerful "punch" (can be a palm strike as well) without telegraphing or much apparent forward motion. As far as I can tell, the majority of the momentum is from an explosive (but abbreviated) body twist, and the fist doesn't travel more than 2-4(?) inches.

Oh, and it's blazing fast--nothing in common with the slow motion punch we see in FFXI.
                      Yeah. The least they could've done is give it the knockback animation they give stuff like Head Butt and Helldive.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9iPFMriz0]YouTube - One Inch Punch Documentary[/ame]

Comment

Cannot view that video from my Internet at this moment... Are you talking about the One Inch *push* ^^? (joke)

Comment

you mean "One Inch Ghostbusters-slimer-bash" lolz
                          | 90 SMN | 90 BRD | 90 BLM | 90 THF | 90 WAR |

5/5 BST +2
                          2/5 WAR +2
                          Farsha(85)

Comment

Originally posted by Armando View Post
                            The least they could've done is give it the knockback animation they give stuff like Head Butt and Helldive.
                            Are there any player-side WS that have animations like that?
                            :: Why can't this crazy love be mine? ::

SEVE - HUME WHM (31) BLM (19) THF (17) WAR (9) MNK (5) RNG (9) BLU (1) BRD (1) DNC (1) NIN (1) :: BAHAMUT

Comment

Not WS, but Blue Magic can do that (Head Butt, Uppercut, etc).

Comment

Working...
                              X