Chi Blast NM nerf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi Blast NM nerf

Well, someone was going to create a thread, so it may as well be me.
    Originally posted by Playonline.com
    -Types of Affected Magic Damage
    When a notorious monster is repeatedly hit by the following types of magic, it will accumulatively build magic resistance:

Black magic (elemental), white magic (divine), ninjutsu, magical blood pact abilities, magical blue magic, magical weapon skills (e.g., Spirits Within and Red Lotus Blade), and certain job abilities (e.g., Chi Blast and Mijin Gakure)

-Resistance Fluctuation
    When a monster with accumulative magic resistance is hit by a magic attack, the amount of damage it receives will decrease in accordance with that monster's resistance. At the same time, its resistance will increase.
    That means that MNKs will not be invited to endgame LSes for 1) our hand-to-hand WSs because they suffer against high-def mobs like HNMs; or 2) our 12x-Boosted Chi Blast, because the mob will just become resistent to it.

I know that the only time we used Full Swing was on Chi Blast-resistent HNMs (wyrms). Are we going to be expected to Chi Blast a couple of times, then sleep for TP, Full Swing, sleep for TP, Full Swing, let Chi Blast resistence subside....then Chi Blast again?

What are your opinions of MNKs' role endgame after this patch? I would have said they'd give us the Max HP Up JA to pimp out for Spirits Within, but that's going to be just as susceptible as Chi Blast.
    Dryhus, Elvaan male | Bismarck | San d'Oria 6 | Windurst 5
    62RDM/60MNK/40BLM/37RNG/31WAR/24WHM/20NIN/19BRD/...
    Woodworking 94.7+2 | Bonecraft 53 | Cooking 42 | Fishing 29
    Smithing 29 | Alchemy 27 | Goldsmithing 21

Bismarck Crafting Services
    My Skillcap Chart, printable on 8.5"x11"

Re: Chi Blast NM nerf

Well, it doesnt mean all MNKs wont be invited. They did say, that having 1-2 of whatever nuking wont really change the effects. its the 18 mnks 12x boosting and chiblasting to start off a fight that they are curtailing or the repeated use a 1 magical attack.

Having a coulpe monks chilblasting wont make a difference. Just no more plowing through mobs with a full alliance of 1 job.

Just think of it as they are trying to spark some creativity in the players.

heres the quote:

We have also made several other adjustments to minimize the effect of this change on black mages and other magic users. For example, a party fighting a notorious monster with one to two black mages will probably not notice the difference.
    Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
    ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

The problem isn't so much as to that MNK is effected, but the fact of how the resistances work.

Any Spirits Within/Blade: Jin, BLM nuke, Ninjutsu elemental attack will raise the resistance. As MNK is already limited to a strict time frame, this means our Chi Blast will probably land after a bunch of nukes and do piddly damage.

On it's own, MNK Chi Blast isn't that bad. With a 3 minute timer, you're not really going to be making the monster super resistant. It's the other parts of the nerf that hit Chi Blast hardest.
      All spells obtained!
      Homam Gear: 2/5

Comment

blade: jin is a 3 hit physical ws.

edit: as opposed to spirits. jin shouldnt add to magical resistance since its a physical ws.
        Last edited by Omni-Ragnarok; 07-19-2006, 12:33 PM.
        Omni@Remora: NIN75 RNG75 MNK75 COR75 BST64 BRD53
        ♪♫ San d'Oria Complete ♪♫ ZM Complete ♪♫ CoP Complete ♪♫ AM Complete ♪♫

Comment

Isn't it a bit early to speculate about the effect? Most HNMLS don't even use MNK for Chi-Blast anymore, if for no other reason than it being huge spike damage. Besides, even if it is, it's not like most HNMLSs are overflowing with so many Monks that this should be a huge problem in any case.

I'd be much more concerned about the end-game impact on BLMs; it should be interesting to see if magic bursted spells increase resistance across all elements, or just to that specific element.

Icemage

Comment

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
            Let's see what it actually does before we start whining about it, ok?

Personally, I don't think the effect will last long at all. There's no reason for it to. 30 seconds is plenty of time so that, if you didn't have anything other than nukers, you'd already have taken several deaths before the resistance wore off; but with reasonable coordination between the MNK and the rest of the alliance, it won't be hard for them to avoid blasting within 30 seconds of a volley of nukes (or magic bursts if your shell does them).

One nuke every 3 minutes isn't exactly going to screw up the resists for everyone else, either, if the effect wears off fast enough for 1-2 BLM to not notice it.
            Defeated: Maat, Divine Might, Fenrir, Kirin, Cactrot Rapido, Xolotl, Diabolos Prime, Kurrea, 9/10 Dynamis Bosses (missing Tav), Promathia, Proto-Ultima, Proto-Omega, 4 Jailers, Apocalypse Nigh, 6/6 Nyzul Bosses
            RDM90, PLD90, DRG90, COR90, SCH90, BLU54
            All Nations Rank 10, ZMs & PMs Complete, AUMs Complete, Captain, Nyzul Floor 100 (5 Weapons, 4 WS), Medal of Altana, WotG Mission 15, 1/3 Addons Complete, 9/9 Abyssea Main Quests, 6/6 Caturae

Comment

Besides, wouldn't your TP-inhibiting Chi Blast effect make you 'desirable' once more?
              Tenmiles
              Lakshmi
              Monk - Mentor

Comment

My opinion is simply that HNMLS and all those who hunt NMs alot will simply have to find more diverse means of doing their battles, MNK got that ability that lets them attack without it counting as physical damage, just exactly what does this mean? New means to fight have been put into the game, we have to corner the problems and find new ways to do things.

Is it just me that is a bit glad they are changing things so that people stop using lazy stratagems to achieve victory? How much does it disgust you that people use a glitch to beat Absolute Virtue? and what about the lazy folks who rely on 17 BLM to beat DM for them? and so many BCNM? It's clear that SE wants their game to be challenging and diverse, and its time people accepted that and learned to adapt.
                Last edited by Balfree; 07-28-2006, 12:37 AM.
                signatures are for pussies mew mew mew, here's mine

Comment

I've seen MNK melee dd very well on any of the sky NM save Faust and all sky HNM save Kirin and I wouldn't bother with it on Byakko. I can't say much for Fafnir or the three kings, but MNK are very powerful melee DD people underestimate on HNMs.
                  Read my blog.
                  ffxibrp.livejournal.com
                  Currently: Entry #32, August 31/07.
                  Entry 32: Death to Castro

Comment

Working...
                  X