Blue Magic in non-FF games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Magic in non-FF games

I just had a thought, how many other games use Blue Magic? Obviously healing and damaging and buffing magic is very common, but I can only think of one example (Castlevania, Aria of Sorrow) from outside the FF series that does it.

What other games out there use it?

Re: Blue Magic in non-FF games

Folklore.

It kinda cheats though. It randomly pops out a demon-guy then makes him go away after the move is complete.
    ~~~BLM SAM RNG NIN PLD~~~

Comment

[anal] that sounds like summoning, buddy [/anal]

Comment

Mega Man X lol.

Comment

Other...games?

Comment

Chrono Cross had a character which could change into any monster you had killed before with that character in the party. When he changed, he had all the spells and abilities of that character.

It was actually the only redeeming point of that character, as I remember... he/she/it was really annoying otherwise. Then again, it has been a while since I played.
            Kindadarii (Bahamut)
            90PUP / 90SMN / 90BRD / 90WHM / 59DNC
            70.3 + 2 Woodworking
            52.2 Synergy

Breeding Chocobos? Visit Chocobreeder.com to find chocobos in your area!

Comment

SaGa Frontier. A great game.
              Twilightrose- THF/49 WAR/24 WHM/53 BLM/32 RNG/15 BST/25 NIN/27

Comment

Originally posted by Feba View Post
                [anal] that sounds like summoning, buddy [/anal]
                Spoken like someone who's never played Folklore.

There's two characters in Folklore, and while they do "sort of" summon the critters in question at times, Keats (one of the two characters) usually just incorporates the creature's attack into one of his offensive or defensive moves.

Icemage

Comment

What about Kirby. Ok, he's pink, but he eats his enemies and gains thier abilities. That's kinda like what BLUs do, minus the cannibalism.

Comment

um yoshi in super mario world could eat the turtles and gain attributes based on their shell color, like the red shell gave him fire breath.

sig courtesy tgm
                    retired -08

Comment

I'm not sure if I'd count that or not. it's just a temporary measure, you can't build up a library of monster spells like a blue mage should. I also haven't played much Kirby, so I don't remember it actually using any 'magic' power, but that could be wrong.

Comment

So what exactly would you count?
                        Last edited by Murphie; 03-30-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Logically, characters that can build up a library of magic drawn from monsters, and use MP (or a similar thing) to use said spells.

Comment

There was a game a long time ago about a kid with a blob, and when you fed the blob jellybeans it changed shape, I guess that could be considered blue magic.
                            Last edited by Jaelachan; 03-31-2008, 01:27 AM. Reason: Added a space.
                            c:x:x:x:x{{:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Proud hater of Windows Vista since Windows XP Service Pack Two!

My limit break involves a moose, the demon Baphomet, and a Kuiper Belt object. It takes four hours and you cant skip any of the cutscenes.
                            She's coming around for another pass! Do we Fight, Use an Item, or Run?
                            FIGHT, ITEM, or RUN? DECIDE!

Dont look a gift lion in the mouth!

Perscription strength Assault!
                            Side effects may include joint pain, loss of mobility, and fainting.

Comment

Well, when it comes to actual Blue Magic, unless it's a SE game, it's not going to be exactly following that formula to a tee. Every company that uses that mechanic will most likely give its own take on it.

That being said, there are many many "Blue Mages" throughout the history of video games, the two of the most known and popular being Mega Man and Kirby. While Kirby only temporarily (or until to the end of the level, depending on player skill/power retention setup) has his opponent's powers, Mega Man (all versions) follows a true Blue Mage formula: he defeats his enemies, takes their power, and even has a limiting factor on the subsequent use of said power (Magic Points are replaced with Reserve Weapon Energy, being that highly advanced technology replaces magic to begin with). He retains said powers indefinitely, insofar as to say indefinitely extends to the closing credits on said game, thus, he builds up a sort of "library of magic from fallen enemies" (their weapons are integrated into his variable weapon system, and the drivers, command functions, and other related functions written to his memory, while the hardware to support the new weaponry is configured either on the spot, or later installed, depending on series).

Mega Man's even blue by default. I'd say he definitely qualifies to be a Blue Mage, regardless of the fact that he's a construct, and you're basically just replacing magical terms with technological ones. And that he's on Capcom's payroll, not Square-Enix's.

Originally posted by Omgwtfbbqkitten View Post
                              What about Kirby. Ok, he's pink, but he eats his enemies and gains thier abilities. That's kinda like what BLUs do, minus the cannibalism.
                              FFXI Blue Mages kinda do eat their enemies, if only their souls.
                              Last edited by LilithAngel; 03-31-2008, 02:16 AM. Reason: I also saw this one person's sig that had "Blue Mages throughout history" with a bunch of video game characters that were Blue Mageish... Can't seem to find it now lol

Comment

Working...
                              X