Maleficus VS HQ staves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maleficus VS HQ staves

Does this scythe mean most of the HQ staves are obsolete for BLM Nukes once this is aquired?

Maleficus

(Scythe) All Races
    DMG: 98 Delay: 501
    INT +10 Magic Atk. Bonus +10 Magic Critical hit rate +10%
    Increase magic critical hit damage

Lv. 89 BLM
    I suppose the Dark and Light Staves may still serve a purpose for landing certain spells.
    Shiva Server
    Crafting 60 all (Gold 55, Alchemy 90)
    Sandy Rank 10. Basty Rank 10. COP
    99<BLU><BLM><THF><WAR><NIN><WHM><DRK><RNG>
    95<SAM>><PLD>97
    75-90<MNK><CO905><DRG75><PUP77><BST76><BRD91><SCH85><RDM84><DNC75>
    <SMN80>

sigpic

Re: Maleficus VS HQ staves

I reember seeing that when I was farming for SMN body seals off of Bhumi. We wound up getting a T3 and a few people figured... what the hell... lets see how terrible this thing is.

Moral of ths story: Brulo is a bitch.

Also: For the lulz... I suggest that everyone read the "Testimonials" for Brulo. Every one of them is comedy gold. The sad part is.... I'm pretty sure none of them are supposed to be funny. Still... worth it.
    Last edited by Yygdrasil; 09-14-2011, 02:24 PM.

Bastok & Windurst Rank 10. ZM, CoP, ToAU, WoTG, ACP, MKD, ASA & SOA Complete.
    99 Kannagi / 99 Armageddon / 119 Nirvana Adventuring Fellow: Level 99
    99 SMN / 99 NIN / 99 COR / 99 WHM / 99 PUP / 99 BLM / 99 THF / 99 SCH / 99 GEO

Yyg's Blog: Tree of Awesome!

Comment

Not a chance. HQ staves provide 30 Magic Accuracy and +15% raw damage. +10 MAB when you already have 70 MAB isn't even a 6% improvement. Magic Crits aren't that special either, since all they do is add a mundane amount of MAB. Between the low MAB bonus and the low proc rate, it won't amount to much in the end.

Comment

Haha, someone Brewed Brulo.

Comment

Not even a little.

Besides, a Black Mage should be working towards magian damage staves which rock a straight +30% damage to their corresponding elemental nukes.
          Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
          Name: Drjones
          Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

Let's say you have a blm with 50 magic attack bonus on gear which is about what I have. Black mages get 36 MAB from job trait so that's 86 MAB total. If you add 10 from Maleficus that's 96, so if I cast a spell with 1000 base damage it would do 1000 x 1.96 = 1960 damage. That's the 90% of the time it doesn't critical. Normally a magic critical adds 10 MAB. I'm going to be generous and assume Maleficus bumps it to 15 MAB, which means it would do 2110 damage 10% of the time.

If I cast the same spell with an HQ staff which gives a 15% damage bonus applied after MAB it would deal 1000 x 1.86 x 1.15 = 2139 damage instead. That's already higher than Maleficus's critical hits. For Maleficus to beat HQ staves for my blm, it would need to have more than 28 MAB.

If I was a responsible blm and had Magian staves, those give a 30% damage bonus like elemental staves after MAB, which means the same nukes would be doing 1000 x 1.86 x 1.3 = 2418 damage. To beat that with pure MAB, an item would need to have +56 MAB or more, which means that blm's level 90 mythic weapon, which gives 50 MAB, is useless to any decently-geared black mage.
            Last edited by Taskmage; 09-14-2011, 06:00 PM.
            lagolakshmi on Guildwork :: Lago Aletheia on Lodestone

Comment

I know this is old... but thanks TM. I was looking for info just like this ever since I got that T3 pop for Brulo. I won't waste my time.

BLM +36 MaB naturally

Weapon: ToM Staff (1.30 multiplier)

Head: Hecate's Crown (+4 MaB)
              Body: Goetia +2 (+11 MaB)
              Hands: Goetia +1 (+6 MaB)
              Legs: Goetia +2 (+7 MaB)
              Feet: Theurgia Clogs (+4 MaB)

Ear1: Moldy Earring (+5 MaB)
              Ear2: Rani Earring (+6 MaB)
              Ring1: Sorc's Ring? Maybe? Later? (Latent Effect: +10 MaB)
              Ring2: n/a
              Neck: Stoichen (+8 MaB)
              Back: Searing Cape (+4 MaB)
              Waist: something something (+3 MaB)

Ammo: Witchstone (+2 MaB)
              Off Hand: n/a

Merits: +10 MaB (Ice and Thunder Only)

So 36 Natural, 60 for Gear and my 1.30 multiplier from the staff... so...

1000 base damage x 2.06 = 2,060

2,060 x 1.30 Staff Bonus = 2678

Not bad... not bad at all considering my old staff bonus was 1.15 which was only getting me a total of 2369. And this is all assuming that my base damage is only 1000.

Now add 1.80 in for the combination of Atma of the Ultimate (+50 MaB) and Atma of the Beyond (+30 MaB) and that makes my MaB total 2.86 multiplier... and the +30 affinity with Ice adds a straight 30% to damage which i assume would stack with the Staff bonus and make it a 1.60 multiplier.

Sooo...

1,000 Base Damage x 2.86 x 1.60 = 4,576 damage

In...sane...

Comment

My Armando Sense is tingling.
                Server: Midgardsormr -> Quetzalcoatl -> Valefor
                Name: Drjones
                Blog: Mediocre Mage

Comment

I have also learned that if I wanted to go for pure damage and not worry about refresh at all... I would want Atma of the Baying Moon instead of Atma of the Undying as my 3rd.

My math from earlier is 1000 x 2.86 x 1.60 = 4576

Atma of the Undying adds a +10 affinity bonus which would make:

1000 x 2.86 x 1.70 = 4862

Atma of the Baying Moon adds +30 MaB which would be:

1000 x 3.16 x 1.60 = 5056

That comes out to a significant change... especially if my goal is to 1-shot things to avoid having to cast Aquaveil or macro in a spell interuption- set.

Ultimately I would love to get my hands on the Atma for killing PW... but that won't happen any time in the near future.

That one would give me +50 MaB and result in:

1000 x 3.36 x 1.60 = 5376

Now... I'm just throwing numbers out there... but without couting dINT vs tINT equasions or Resist math (since I'm still learning them) the formula looks like this:

D = V*M/2

V = 828 (for the purpose of this equasion... 828 is the value listed for Blizzard V)
                  M = 2.299 (this applies to all single-target tier V spells... such as Blizzard V)

828*2.299/2 = 951.786 and thus D = 951 (because the resulting value gets floored)

According to the wiki... D is then multiplied by the following values (IN ORDER).

D
                  Multiple Target Damage Reduction
                  Resist
                  Staff Bonus
                  *Day/Weather Bonus
                  Magic Burst
                  MaB/MdB
                  Target Magic Defense

Considering I'm not using multiple target damage... and expecting my damage not to be resisted... and dont have day/weather bonuses factored in... and won't be magic bursting... and don't know how to account for TMD... we're left with the following math.

D x Staff Bonus x MaB = Damage

Again... not counting the other stuff above... and not counting the dINT formula that augments the raw value of D in the first place.

951 * 1.30 * 1.96 = 2423 Damage from Blizzard V outside of Abyssea, unresisted... against a mob without MDT- or MdB

951 * 1.60 * 2.86 = 4352 Damage from Blizzard V inside of Abyssea, unresisted... against a mob without MDT- or MdB (counting only Beyond, Ultimate and Minikin)

951 * 1.60 * 3.16 = 4808 Damage from Blizzard V inside of Abyssea, unresisted... against a mob without MDT- or MdB (counting Beyond, Ultimate and Baying Moon)

I'm going to run some numbers to find out how much a critical would get me and work on exactly how INT effects dINT when factored into the final result of D.

I've been running with the assumption that 3INT/1MaB... and that would mean some serious damage increases if I were to factor in all my gear/atma/cruor buffs/natural INT to become MaB.

Going on strictly memory... I believe my Cruor Buffs are +50, Minikin gives me +50?, my gear is around 40 and my natural INT is roughly 100... totaling to 240.

240/3 = +80MaB

Now... I'm not going to run all those numbers again... but only the damage inside abyssea... with Minikin, Ultimate and Beyond.

951 * 1.60 * 3.96 = 6,025

According to the parsing I did last night while I was working on my staff trials... that number seems to fit perfectly... as my average came out to be around 4,900. And that didn't include the +8 MaB from head and feet... or the 1.30 bonus from the final staff product. It appears my math is relatively spot on.

Comment

IIRC, BG found that the Atma bonus is actually applied separately from the staff bonus... I don't recall the exact formula sorry, it's probably on Kaeko's site somewhere. It's also why it's so frigging OP, since rather than cranking up an existing multiplier it gets tacked on after the original calculation I believe.
                    sigpic

"BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Malacite View Post
                      IIRC, BG found that the Atma bonus is actually applied separately from the staff bonus... I don't recall the exact formula sorry, it's probably on Kaeko's site somewhere. It's also why it's so frigging OP, since rather than cranking up an existing multiplier it gets tacked on after the original calculation I believe.
                      Sooo...

951 * 1.30 * 3.96 * 1.30 = 6364?

Comment

Something like that I believe, yes.

It's not the biggest boost, but every little bit helps - especially with larger base values like T5 spells (wonder if we'll see T6 as possible 99 merits?)

Also, needs mawr +2 Magian Staves.
                        sigpic

Comment

They announced a new staff. It's something along the lines of a Prism staff? It's effectively all the HQ staves all rolled into one... but with bonuses only equal to the affinity of their HQ staff counterparts.

In other words... 1 staff to rule them all! (while still being significantly trumped by the Magian staves)

Comment

Now... I'm just throwing numbers out there... but without couting dINT vs tINT equasions or Resist math (since I'm still learning them) the formula looks like this:

D = V*M/2
                            This formula's off. Let dINT = Your INT - Target's INT. There's four possible scenarios.
                            1) If your dINT is negative, D = V + dINT. In other words, if dINT is a penalty, don't multiply it by M. I'd bet no BLM is ever in this situation though.
                            2) If your dINT is positive but below the spell's soft cap, D = V + (dINT x M)
                            3) If your dINT is above the soft cap, every dINT past the soft cap counts by half. D = V + (Soft Cap x M) + ((dINT - Soft Cap) x M)
                            4) If your dINT is above the hard cap, it stops contributing to damage.

If you're assuming a dINT of 0, then D = V.

Regarding resists: FFXIClopedia has formulas for the probability of each resist tier based on the probability of no resists. You could make a weighted average of those values to figure out your mean damage. However, you also have to take into account the conversion from Magic Accuracy to no-resist rate since that's the stat you can actually manipulate. I made a spreadsheet for you, look at the second chart. X Axis is the difference between your Magic Accuracy and the mob's Magic Evasion. Blue line is your expected damage (as a % of your full damage.) Orange line is a straight line for comparison. Yellow is your probabilities of doing full damage, but you don't care about that. As you can see, the relationship between M.Acc and mean damage is sort of linear. Going by the straight line, you can approximate 1 Magic Acc to 0.58% more damage.
                            I've been running with the assumption that 3INT/1MaB... and that would mean some serious damage increases if I were to factor in all my gear/atma/cruor buffs/natural INT to become MaB.
                            I assume you mean 3 INT is roughly equivalent to 1 MAB, not that 3 INT gives 1 MAB.
                            Last edited by Armando; 07-18-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yygdrasil View Post
                              They announced a new staff. It's something along the lines of a Prism staff? It's effectively all the HQ staves all rolled into one... but with bonuses only equal to the affinity of their HQ staff counterparts.

In other words... 1 staff to rule them all! (while still being significantly trumped by the Magian staves)
                              Yeah there's a screenshot of it on the front page for the preview of the next update. Actually, the next update is introducing quite a slew of nice changes.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X